Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Defensive end RJ Oben committed per twitter.

Info:

https://247sports.com/Player/RJ-Oben-46039273

Welcome, RJ!!

Sweet. Ben Albert doing work. Multiple P5 offers.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I'll be very interested to see how our co-defensive coordinators work together. Albert is/was undeniably an A+ defensive line coach (here and at BC) so I have high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'll be very interested to see how our co-defensive coordinators work together. Albert is/was undeniably an A+ defensive line coach (here and at BC) so I have high hopes.
    I hope you're right. I think they are trying to replace the best coach on the staff, Knowles. That's not a cut at Cut, I just think Knowles is awesome. The last couple of years our D was our best unit most of the time. That hasn't happened since McGee, and some of that was due to really pathetic O.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I hope you're right. I think they are trying to replace the best coach on the staff, Knowles. That's not a cut at Cut, I just think Knowles is awesome. The last couple of years our D was our best unit most of the time. That hasn't happened since McGee, and some of that was due to really pathetic O.
    I agree that Knowles did a good job, but I'm not quite as high on him as you are...on the plus side, he did a great job vs. option teams, and generally built a solid defense. On the other hand, our defensive backs got burned too often, and we overly relied on the blitz (I'm still pissed about the Pittsburgh loss and Humphreys blitzing past a Pitt running back who went 90+ yards). Maybe my criticisms are due to insufficient talent, it's tough to say...never easy to figure out what due to lack of talent vs. coaching...our wide receivers are a great example, lousy production last year, some say the talent is there, some say the coaching was poor.
    Let's see what the new guy gets out of them...personally, based on my very limited knowledge, I'd say Albert was the best coach on staff last year, just an opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I agree that Knowles did a good job, but I'm not quite as high on him as you are...on the plus side, he did a great job vs. option teams, and generally built a solid defense. On the other hand, our defensive backs got burned too often, and we overly relied on the blitz (I'm still pissed about the Pittsburgh loss and Humphreys blitzing past a Pitt running back who went 90+ yards). Maybe my criticisms are due to insufficient talent, it's tough to say...never easy to figure out what due to lack of talent vs. coaching...our wide receivers are a great example, lousy production last year, some say the talent is there, some say the coaching was poor.
    Let's see what the new guy gets out of them...personally, based on my very limited knowledge, I'd say Albert was the best coach on staff last year, just an opinion...
    First, let me say that I hope you are right about Albert, and you may be. Second, that Pitt debacle was a disaster, but I believe Duke's only chance to be successful on D is to be risk takers, aggressive. I think it's Duke's only chance on offense too. I just do not ever see Duke as a run oriented overly physical team on either side of the ball that can slug it out to victory. I don't think we can recruit to that, or sustain that. I think the Pitt game problem was that we didn't have a QB option better than a Daniel Jones at about 25% effectiveness.

I firmly believe that Duke's D breakdowns last season had to do with building frustration on the offensive side of the ball, causing the D to play too many snaps, in poor field position, and take chances. Dukes fast start then slow steady offensive decline wore physically, mentally and emotionally on the D. I am convinced of that.

Now, true, Duke's D backs did give up some big plays, but they had almost as many touchdowns on pick 6's as the offense did for a short period last year. Duke hasn't had pick 6 threats since Ernie Jackson and Rich Searl were playing in the early 70s. Aggressive D helps recruiting, as DE and LB want to blitz, and DB want interceptions.

The irony is, Coach Cut has developed a program that is more competitive on a slug it out basis than they've been since McGee's early teams. I still don't think that's Duke's long term success formula. I think Duke's highest expression of football since Spurrier was the Texas A&M game...first team to 50...that sells tickets, sells recruits, and is our best chance.

As a side note that is likely interesting only to me:

If someone had bet that I would follow Duke football recruiting closer than Duke basketball recruiting, I would have given pretty tasty odds. And would be paying off right about now.

LGD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    First, let me say that I hope you are right about Albert, and you may be. Second, that Pitt debacle was a disaster, but I believe Duke's only chance to be successful on D is to be risk takers, aggressive. I think it's Duke's only chance on offense too. I just do not ever see Duke as a run oriented overly physical team on either side of the ball that can slug it out to victory. I don't think we can recruit to that, or sustain that. I think the Pitt game problem was that we didn't have a QB option better than a Daniel Jones at about 25% effectiveness.

I firmly believe that Duke's D breakdowns last season had to do with building frustration on the offensive side of the ball, causing the D to play too many snaps, in poor field position, and take chances. Dukes fast start then slow steady offensive decline wore physically, mentally and emotionally on the D. I am convinced of that.

Now, true, Duke's D backs did give up some big plays, but they had almost as many touchdowns on pick 6's as the offense did for a short period last year. Duke hasn't had pick 6 threats since Ernie Jackson and Rich Searl were playing in the early 70s. Aggressive D helps recruiting, as DE and LB want to blitz, and DB want interceptions.

The irony is, Coach Cut has developed a program that is more competitive on a slug it out basis than they've been since McGee's early teams. I still don't think that's Duke's long term success formula. I think Duke's highest expression of football since Spurrier was the Texas A&M game...first team to 50...that sells tickets, sells recruits, and is our best chance.
    I agree with almost everything you say...the defense was definitely victimized by our inept offense during the horrible middle of the season slump. Hopefully lessons have been learned from that period (I'm looking at you, Mr. Roper). I do think, however, we've got enough beef, depth and skill on the DL so we can be solid vs the run (along with our very good LB group...hope guys like Hill and Gagnon also get to play some).
    The DL is getting much better pressure on QBs, so I'm still disappointed in how often pass coverage breaks down. I agree it's because the defense feels they have to take chances (blitzes, etc) but I think there is enough talent there now (defense) to play more straight up, and not give up as many looooong gainers...looking forward to some interesting games in the early season (NW in particular).

Charlie Ham, kicker, has committed to the Class of 2019. He's excelled at soccer, football and basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Charlie Ham, kicker, has committed to the Class of 2019. He's excelled at soccer, football and basketball.
    Great news!

We need a kicker more than another hoops player.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Great news!

We need a kicker more than another hoops player.

Welcome!
    He'll have a short while to adjust to college football when our team takes on Alabama in Atlanta.

He'll have a short while to adjust to college football when our team takes on Alabama in Atlanta.
    In his hometown, right? I believe I saw he's from Westminster (Steve "Snake" Slayden's alma mater).

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In his hometown, right? I believe I saw he's from Westminster (Steve "Snake" Slayden's alma mater).
    Bingo!

I will be at the game with my family. My daughter (incoming Alabama freshman) sent me this:

https://youtu.be/rTdXQyhjifY

But she grew up rooting for Duke, so I think we’ll call her 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I will be at the game with my family. My daughter (incoming Alabama freshman) sent me this:

https://youtu.be/rTdXQyhjifY

But she grew up rooting for Duke, so I think we’ll call her 50/50.
    Yes! I've seen that video. Roll Tide

I like that Ham is both a kicker and punter. There is an article up at 247Sports:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...Ham-119153488/

Ham recently earned an invite to the National Underclassman Challenge in January of 2018 after a strong performance during the December Showcase Camp of 2017. He showed great ability to kick off the ground by making 15 out of 16 during the charting of field goal's. Ham also showed great leg strength with multiple 75+ yard kick off's. He showed marked improvement on his field goal ability by making 9 charted kicks at camp. Ham's punting improved as well and he averaged 43.7 yards per punt and had several 50+ yard punts. His leg has gotten stronger and his technique continues to improve.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I like that Ham is both a kicker and punter. There is an article up at 247Sports:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...Ham-119153488/
    May he be far more used for the former than the latter.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    May he be far more used for the former than the latter.
    ...Amen...and may they be extra points and kick offs, and not so many FGs....

Duke has now received a committment from a punter.
    https://247sports.com/player/porter-wilson-46054807
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke has now received a committment from a punter.
    https://247sports.com/player/porter-wilson-46054807
    Cut is certainly addressing a need. Hope they can handle the job.