Thread: mother!

mother!

I'm a fan of Darren Aronofsky and I get the point he was trying to make and all but this movie was too much. Too much what? I don't know, but too much nonetheless.

And here I was worried about whether they'll drop the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    And here I was worried about whether they'll drop the bomb.
    If so, you better run like Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If so, you better run like Hell.
    Do you think they'll like this song?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Do you think they'll like this song?
    Yes, but they'll all hate the bass player who wrote it.

Yes, but they'll all hate the bass player who wrote it.
    Now you are just trying to...tear your little boy apart.
    Now you've gone and...broke my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    I'm a fan of Darren Aronofsky and I get the point he was trying to make and all but this movie was too much. Too much what? I don't know, but too much nonetheless.
    I had a screening earlier this week I was going to attend. Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer, Domhnall Gleeson, and Kristen Wiig... incredible cast. I was all set to see it and then I watched the trailer. Uhhhhh, what was that?!?!! No thanks. Based on what I am hearing from early moviegoer reaction, I made the right call. Darren Aronofsky just makes weird movies. Some folks love them... me, not so much.

-Jason "none of the main characters have a name... that's just strange" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    They're all desert horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    They're all desert horses.
    Or played defense for the Dolphins in '72

Or played defense for the Dolphins in '72
    Or kicked backsides in spaghetti westerns. A solid trilogy, Jason may have forgotten.

I had a screening earlier this week I was going to attend. Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer, Domhnall Gleeson, and Kristen Wiig... incredible cast. I was all set to see it and then I watched the trailer. Uhhhhh, what was that?!?!! No thanks. Based on what I am hearing from early moviegoer reaction, I made the right call. Darren Aronofsky just makes weird movies. Some folks love them... me, not so much.
    Well, the masses have weighed in and they hate this film. It has the very unusual distinction of having earned an F Cinemascore. That does not happen very often. Even Darren Aronofsky fans are only giving it a C, and they know to expect strange stuff from his films.

Jason "it is only going to do about $7 mil this opening weekend, so no one is really seeing it anyway" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, the masses have weighed in and they hate this film. It has the very unusual distinction of having earned an F Cinemascore. That does not happen very often. Even Darren Aronofsky fans are only giving it a C, and they know to expect strange stuff from his films.

Jason "it is only going to do about $7 mil this opening weekend, so no one is really seeing it anyway" Evans
    Wow. And this is a film getting positive reviews on the whole from critics. Further evidence that the critics are simply looking for different things than are the public.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Wow. And this is a film getting positive reviews on the whole from critics. Further evidence that the critics are simply looking for different things than are the public.
    I've said this before, but critics are so jaded by their job that they will like ANYTHING they haven't seen before, even if it crosses all boundaries of decency.

Vulture has an article that, after much spoiler prompting, discusses the film's most controversial scene, which depicts something you almost never see in any form of fiction, and then gets even grosser. I'm sure that there is an intellectual argument to be made about its symbolic value to the overall story, and that maybe it was CGI enough, but that hardly seems to diminish what audiences just saw.

If you're on the fence about seeing the movie, or plan not to see it but have a strong stomach, read the article. I'm glad I know to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Rex Reed, who is often one of those critics who likes stuff the general public does not, instead comes down on the side of sanity this time. His withering review is something to behold, that's for sure, and he takes other critics to task for saying nice things about this film.

The New York Times critic arrogantly warns in his review: “Don’t listen to anyone who natters on about how intense or disturbing it is.” Sorry, pal, but a mob that burns a screaming baby and its mother alive, then turns cannibal, eats the baby and rips its heart out to flush down the toilet while Patti Smith sings about the end of the world pretty much fits my definition of both “intense” and “disturbing.” What’s yours?

Nothing about mother! makes one lick of sense as Darren Aronofsky’s corny vision of madness turns more hilarious than scary. With so much crap around to clog the drain, I hesitate to label it the “Worst movie of the year” when “Worst movie of the century” fits it even better.
    -Jason "for the record, though I am an amateur reviewer, I think I always come down on the side of, 'would folks actually enjoy watching this film?'" Evans