Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Equifax was hacked .... 143 million records exposed

The story is over at att.net, but i imagine its everywhere by now. Name, SS#, DOB, Addresses.... and some credit card numbers. As usual, you will be expected to bear the burden.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

kinda makes having you credit report "locked up" with the big 3 kind of limp...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Of course, the best part is that as soon as Equifax heard about the breach -- weeks before they told the public about it -- three senior executives of the company dumped $1.8 mil worth of stock. Equifax stock is down more than 15% as I write this, so these guys used their inside info to save something like $300,000. Equifax claims the three executives had no knowledge of the breach, but I find it hard to believe that the freaking CFO was not told about the largest data breach in company history!

-Jason "This is criminal in my mind and these !#^&@! should be sent to jail... and should be forced to pay huge fines" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Of course, the best part is that as soon as Equifax heard about the breach -- weeks before they told the public about it -- three senior executives of the company dumped $1.8 mil worth of stock. Equifax stock is down more than 15% as I write this, so these guys used their inside info to save something like $300,000. Equifax claims the three executives had no knowledge of the breach, but I find it hard to believe that the freaking CFO was not told about the largest data breach in company history!

-Jason "This is criminal in my mind and these !#^&@! should be sent to jail... and should be forced to pay huge fines" Evans
    Do you not understand how this country works?

Thoughts about freezing credit if you aren't imminently applying for anything? How hard is it to unfreeze?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Thoughts about freezing credit if you aren't imminently applying for anything? How hard is it to unfreeze?
    My understanding, it's about $10 to unfreeze.

My stuff is already being monitored b/c of the federal employee hack the other year.

The execs should absolutely be in jail. I can't recall how often as a low level employee I'm told don't sell stock if you know material information. There is NO WAY the CFO and head of US IT didn't know about this hack. Even if they sell on a schedule, you stop it.

With regards to to the data breach, I love how they lead with the fact their core credit reporting databases were not hacked! Yay! My credit score is safe, but everything needed to steal my identity was given to theives!

I hesitate to write this on a public forum, but I'm certain the bad guys are very well aware.

IMO, this is the largest problem the USA faces. Terrorist never need to come anywhere near our borders to wreck total havoc on our financial system. Imagine getting up one morning to find there is no money in your bank account. Now, imagine over 100 million Americans simultaneously having the same experience.

I'm prepared for this possibility, but I doubt many Americans are. Maybe, you should be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The execs should absolutely be in jail.
    The man with the gold makes the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    The man with the gold makes the rules!
    as the book The ChickenS**t Club points out, white collar criminals are rarely prosecuted these days, under anybody's administration (trying to point out it ain't Demos vs GOP hence not a political point of view of mine).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    as the book The ChickenS**t Club points out, white collar criminals are rarely prosecuted these days, under anybody's administration (trying to point out it ain't Demos vs GOP hence not a political point of view of mine).
    I cannot express, in (DBR approved) words, how amazed I am with what many of my peers have done with very little fear of being prosecuted, much less convicted. IMO, our government is more concerned about generating revenue (fines, settlements, etc.) than prosecuting criminals.

Absolutely, almost all politicians are for sale!

I cannot express, in (DBR approved) words, how amazed I am with what many of my peers have done with very little fear of being prosecuted, much less convicted. IMO, our government is more concerned about generating revenue (fines, settlements, etc.) than prosecuting criminals.

Absolutely, almost all politicians are for sale!
    I'd rather fine these guys (money coming in) than put them in jail (money going out). The difference is that I'd make the fines high enough to be painful and to discourage the behavior. <--- Note that's theoretical and there's a good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about (Jeffery swims in different/better pools than I do :-) )

I hesitate to write this on a public forum, but I'm certain the bad guys are very well aware.

IMO, this is the largest problem the USA faces. Terrorist never need to come anywhere near our borders to wreck total havoc on our financial system. Imagine getting up one morning to find there is no money in your bank account. Now, imagine over 100 million Americans simultaneously having the same experience.

I'm prepared for this possibility, but I doubt many Americans are. Maybe, you should be prepared.
    How does one prepare for that other than by hoarding cash in one's home?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

List of fees by state (scroll down)

https://www.transunion.com/credit-fr...-credit-freeze

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'd rather fine these guys (money coming in) than put them in jail (money going out). The difference is that I'd make the fines high enough to be painful and to discourage the behavior.
    The reason this does not have a chance of working is these criminals usually pay their fines with other people's (usually shareholders') money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Have multiple bank accounts with at least one in a relatively small (hometown) financial institution. Terrorist only need to hit the 5 largest U.S. financial institutions to impact most U.S. bank accounts.

If you're only going to have one, then, IMO, make it a relatively small (hometown) financial institution.

The reason this does not have a chance of working is these criminals usually pay their fines with other people's (usually shareholders') money.
    Exactly. In fact they can easily do the calculation beforehand, figure out what each act of malfeasance will cost IF they are caught. Make it up at bonus time. Not much of a deterrent.
    Me, I'm thinking the government should set up a deal with Erdogan so these guys can be sent to a Turkish prison (Midnight Express is still, to me, the scariest movie I have ever seen).
    THAT would be a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I hesitate to plug my business so I'll be brief, but identity theft protection has been my main focus for the past 8 years. Your money in the bank is protected, if taken fraudulently the bank has to replace it. Unfortunately, they have 30 days to investigate and do so which can be a hardship to many. If you're diligent, you have a lot of protection against virtually all types of identity theft. Anyone wanting to know more should PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Exactly. In fact they can easily do the calculation beforehand, figure out what each act of malfeasance will cost IF they are caught. Make it up at bonus time. Not much of a deterrent.
    Yep, it's a very easy game to play. I could write an amazing book of truths which would almost certainly be put in the fiction section. Most people would never believe what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I hesitate to plug my business so I'll be brief, but identity theft protection has been my main focus for the past 8 years. Your money in the bank is protected, if taken fraudulently the bank has to replace it. Unfortunately, they have 30 days to investigate and do so which can be a hardship to many. If you're diligent, you have a lot of protection against virtually all types of identity theft. Anyone wanting to know more should PM me.
    I think you're mixing apples and oranges. Terrorist hacking into the largest U.S. financial institution databases and wiping out all bank accounts (either the records or actual money) is, IMO, not identity theft. If it occurs and affects over 100 million Americans simultaneously, then I would not call that massive identity theft. How would you firm simultaneously get money to all of those 100 million Americans (assuming all 100 million are your customers) within a few hours (they need to eat lunch)?