Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 159 of 159
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    As stated above, IMO, this is just the beginning...

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/four-me...ch-11581346824
    Social credit score in China is a derivative of you Credit score... Yikes. Prayers for the Chinese.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Yahoo is apparently offering a couple years of identity theft monitoring in a class action settlement for their data breach.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I was just having this discussion with my wife this morning...identity theft (and other hacking risks) have made it dadgummed (apologies to Roy) hard for honest people to do legitimate business with banks, etc.
    It certainly will be a major problem when terrorist borrow/steal money under your name.

    I suspect the same groups are working on stealing U.S. bank deposits.

    Financial terrorism is getting easier to accomplish since many younger U.S. citizens choose to bank in the virtual world.

    For those without a WSJ subscription...

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urce=applenews

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It certainly will be a major problem when terrorist borrow/steal money under your name.

    I suspect the same groups are working on stealing U.S. bank deposits.

    Financial terrorism is getting easier to accomplish since many younger U.S. citizens choose to bank in the virtual world.

    For those without a WSJ subscription...

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urce=applenews
    I agree with this, and I think you missed my point, or at least misread it. I was not complaining about the safeguards....they are necessary...I was complaining, or bemoaning, the need for the safeguards. I am not younger, and I run numerous businesses, and do most of my banking in the virtual world.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I agree with this, and I think you missed my point, or at least misread it. I was not complaining about the safeguards...they are necessary...I was complaining, or bemoaning, the need for the safeguards. I am not younger, and I run numerous businesses, and do most of my banking in the virtual world.
    I agree, terrorism, of all forms, has made life more difficult for all Americans. For example, commercial air travel since 9/11.

    We each make choices and pay the cost. I prefer to spend more time and energy instead of taking on the additional risks/costs of virtual world banking.

    I think the two of us understand and accept the trade offs we are making. I doubt many, maybe most, fully do.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I agree, terrorism, of all forms, has made life more difficult for all Americans. For example, commercial air travel since 9/11.

    We each make choices and pay the cost. I prefer to spend more time and energy instead of taking on the additional risks/costs of virtual world banking.

    I think the two of us understand and accept the trade offs we are making. I doubt many, maybe most, fully do.
    Cyber terrorism is certainly part of this, but the ID theft movement, and the industry (such as Lifelock, etc) that it birthed come from just plain ole identity theft...and other larcenous acts online.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Cyber terrorism is certainly part of this, but the ID theft movement, and the industry (such as Lifelock, etc) that it birthed come from just plain ole identity theft...and other larcenous acts online.
    I certainly do not want to debate financial semantics with you. If you consider this ID theft, that's fine with me. I consider four members of China’s People’s Liberation Army hacking Equifax (the subject of this thread) cyberterrorism. My only semantic concern is the U.S. Government agree it's cyberterrorism and respond accordingly.

    IMO, Google is not helping this situation!
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 02-11-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add my Google opinion

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I certainly do not want to debate financial semantics with you. If you consider this ID theft, that's fine with me. I consider four members of Chinaís Peopleís Liberation Army hacking Equifax (the subject of this thread) cyberterrorism. My only semantic concern is the U.S. Government agree it's cyberterrorism and respond accordingly.
    I'm pretty sure HBCK is talking about ID theft generally and not just the Equifax breach specifically (which is an example of cyberterrorism in the form of ID theft).

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm pretty sure HBCK is talking about ID theft generally and not just the Equifax breach specifically (which is an example of cyberterrorism in the form of ID theft).
    I'm unsure and certainly see no value in a semantics debate. Initially, HBCK "was complaining, or bemoaning, the need for the safeguards".

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I'm unsure and certainly see no value in a semantics debate. Initially, HBCK "was complaining, or bemoaning, the need for the safeguards".
    It isn't a semantics debate. You're talking about cyberterrorism specifically, HBCK is (clearly) talking about ID theft generally, some of which is cyberterrorism. I don't think it is outlandish to think it is unfortunate that we need various safeguards to protect us from rampant ID theft/cyberterrorism (while agreeing that we do need them).

    I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding what is being said, because I have no idea what your point is or what you're trying to get at. Nobody is disagreeing with you about cyberterrorism, or arguing against safeguards.

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric
    I don't think it is outlandish to think it is unfortunate that we need various safeguards to protect us from rampant ID theft/cyberterrorism (while agreeing that we do need them).
    I also do not think it's outlandish, which is why I previously agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric
    I have no idea what your point is or what you're trying to get at.
    I was trying to stay on topic (the Equifax event). Sorry, I really should stop making financial posts here. I'm doing a very poor job resisting the temptation!

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I certainly do not want to debate financial semantics with you. If you consider this ID theft, that's fine with me. I consider four members of Chinaís Peopleís Liberation Army hacking Equifax (the subject of this thread) cyberterrorism. My only semantic concern is the U.S. Government agree it's cyberterrorism and respond accordingly.

    IMO, Google is not helping this situation!
    Dude, context....I was speaking in context of all the added security necessary in all online financial transactions...IN GENERAL. Seems others figured that out from comments that I thought were pretty clear. All of this security started as a result of ID Theft, NOT as a result of Cyber Terrorism. It's certainly the case that some of those safeguards address both problems. No one is arguing that here.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I was trying to stay on topic (the Equifax event). Sorry, I really should stop making financial posts here. I'm doing a very poor job resisting the temptation!
    Some of us appreciate your financial posts.

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I'm unsure and certainly see no value in a semantics debate. Initially, HBCK "was complaining, or bemoaning, the need for the safeguards".
    Complaining about safeguards....versus bemoaning the NEED for safeguards...are NOT a matter of semantics. They are two entirely different things. As for debating financial matters, I'm happy to do that but I was not making such an esoteric point at the time. BTW I'm macro-economics writer and have written for very major media figures - so they can understand macro economics.

    Now I will put meat on the bone, happened just yesterday: My investment bank Merrill now uses "secure mail" instead of email, and it makes everything about sending and signing documents and so on at least one step harder. Especially if you have a slow signal for whatever reason. Now of course these "secure mail" systems are in existence to be more secure than email. So yesterday, an employee at my Merrill branch was sending me the 2019 1099s and had to go thru "secure mail."

    Well, she sent my tax info to my brother....which would not have happened on regular email, because she would have certainly caught the error on auto-populate of the e-address before she hit send. It was a benign error in this case, but that was lucky.

    And thus - in this case, I dadgummed sure am complaining about "the safeguard" and not the "need" for the safeguard....because the safeguard ended up being LESS SAFE than the old fashioned way. That is not always the case - but it demonstrates the difference between safeguards and the need for safeguards being more than mere semantics.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Dude, context...I was speaking in context of all the added security necessary in all online financial transactions...IN GENERAL. Seems others figured that out from comments that I thought were pretty clear.
    And, you probably also understand why they were speaking about Yahoo when I was discussing four members of Chinaís Peopleís Liberation Army hacking Equifax (the subject of this thread).

    Iíd specifically address an issue with another statement, in the remainder of your post, but it would probably generate more GENERAL statements drifting off the specific issue.

    So, instead, I wish you a great evening!

    Go Duke!

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Some of us appreciate your financial posts.
    Thanks, thatís very nice of you to say!

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    And, you probably also understand why they were speaking about Yahoo when I was discussing four members of China’s People’s Liberation Army hacking Equifax (the subject of this thread). !
    This thread is 2.5 years old...and you did not start it. I was making a general comment about cyber security concerns and how it's made certain tasks more complicated. You are the only one who did not understand that. I was not referring to the specifics of the China People's Liberation Army or anything else that specific to Equifax. My comment, my first one, made that clear. My interest here was only in the general sense. You jumped ugly at me with your first retort, or at least were a bit patronizing. That was kinda out of line. I fired back a bit. You took offense.

    That said, macro economics is one of my areas of intense interest, so I look forward to jousting with you - or agreeing with you - in the future on economic topics.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  18. #158
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Thanks, thatís very nice of you to say!
    I also appreciate your contributions to various financial threads! I just felt like this most recent little discussion appeared to be two people talking past each other.

  19. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I also appreciate your contributions to various financial threads! I just felt like this most recent little discussion appeared to be two people talking past each other.
    Thanks, thatís very nice of you to say! You're right, I was making specific statements and the other poster was making general statements. As a result, it was not a beneficial conversation and added no DBR value.

    Given my background, I usually make specific financial statements. That will probably not change, but I will adjust my DBR financial posting accordingly.

Similar Threads

  1. Conference records
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 12:54 PM
  2. Email Account Hacked
    By PSurprise in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
  3. Kansas Records
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 12:16 PM
  4. Cloned puppies may have exposed 31-year mystery
    By rthomas in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 10:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •