War For the Planet of the Apes

I am late to the party as usual, but I just got to sit alone in a theater and watch the most recent installment. I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads dedicated to this movie, but I was pretty sure there were some opinions tossed out there upon its release. I'd be interested to discuss it a bit if there's still any juice to it.

FYI, the Tuesday after Labor Day, middle of the afternoon, is a great time to catch a movie.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I am late to the party as usual, but I just got to sit alone in a theater and watch the most recent installment. I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads dedicated to this movie, but I was pretty sure there were some opinions tossed out there upon its release. I'd be interested to discuss it a bit if there's still any juice to it.

FYI, the Tuesday after Labor Day, middle of the afternoon, is a great time to catch a movie.
    One of the best movies of the summer, no question about it. I saw it in the same 24 hour period that I saw Baby Driver. What a good day that was! The best mainstream movies this summer were (not in order): War Apes, Baby Driver, Big Sick, Spidey, Wonder Woman, and Dunkirk (though I had a lot of critical things to say about Dunkirk and Wonder Woman).

I am bummed more people did not see War, as I think it was a truly compelling piece of science fiction and a fitting end to one of the best trilogies in cinema history. All three Apes films were excellent in terms of craftsmanship, message, and entertainment... that is truly rare.

-Jason "the fact that Cars 3 made more money than War is a crime" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    One of the best movies of the summer, no question about it. I saw it in the same 24 hour period that I saw Baby Driver. What a good day that was! The best mainstream movies this summer were (not in order): War Apes, Baby Driver, Big Sick, Spidey, Wonder Woman, and Dunkirk (though I had a lot of critical things to say about Dunkirk and Wonder Woman).

I am bummed more people did not see War, as I think it was a truly compelling piece of science fiction and a fitting end to one of the best trilogies in cinema history. All three Apes films were excellent in terms of craftsmanship, message, and entertainment... that is truly rare.

-Jason "the fact that Cars 3 made more money than War is a crime" Evans
    I was amazed that they have made a very good very entertaining movie in which humans are on screen... Maybe a third of the time?

The visuals were stunning. The plot itself was fairly plain, but it was done very well. Satisfying conclusion for a trilogy that may stand alone in that each entry improved on the last.

Also, I have one issue, but it centers on the end of the movie. Ergo, SPOILER ALERT (why are you reading this thread if you have seen it? Anyway, don't scroll down...)

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

{SPOILING COMMENCE}

At the very end, when the apes have effectively destroyed Woody's base of militants, and the northern forces come rushing in, all bundled up in their winter special forces gear... I thought it would have been stunning if one member of that force removed their balaclava to reveal... Ape face. Would have been a very satisfying to see Ceasar's reaction of relief.

As it was, the avalanche felt a bit overly convenient, and the ape escape from said avalanche even more so.

{Weclome back, spoiler free zone}

All in all, very good movie. I don't think I have seen a better one this summer. Unless Logan counts as summer.

Looking forward to catching a few others on Jason's list, particularly Baby Driver.
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 09-05-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: GD autocorrect kills me every time