Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fansided Article - Duke Basketball: Failure if no National Title in 2018

Wasn't sure where to post this, so if the moderators find a better place to move it to, by all means, please do.

Came across an article today, entitled Duke Basketball: Is the 2017-18 season a bust without a championship?. This article essentially tries to compare this team to the 2015 Championship squad (which I never really like to do -- each team deserves to have its own identity), and then finishes up by saying "With this much talent, there can only be one acceptable outcome, as unreasonable as that may be. Duke must win the national title to declare this season a success."

I realize this article doesn't come from a reputable source and is just one fan's opinion, but it got me thinking. After going through what we went through last year with another uber-talented squad, I think we all can agree that there are many other factors at play besides having good recruits on paper. Chemistry (which honestly from videos that have been shared this summer, don't really appear to be an issue at this point with this squad), injuries (even typing the word gives me agita), and one off-night in a one-and-done Tournament are all things that can "derail" a season. I don't know about all of you, but I hate reading in August before a single game has been played that this season is Championship or Bust for Duke. I know we've discussed in other threads about what people consider to be a "good season" or a "successful season," etc. I know for me personally, if this team -- or any Duke team -- won the ACC regular season or ACC Tournament and made it to a Final Four, I'd never consider the season a failure if we didn't win it all.

While I absolutely am supremely confident in this group of guys, I hate seeing such unreasonable expectations laid upon them, especially so early in the year. As we all know, anything can happen.

Thoughts?

A waste of bandwidth?

I didn't even click on the link. But I agree - it's a ridiculous notion. The season will be a ride - hopefully with many great accomplishments. The odds are almost always against a single team winning it all, and with our inexperience and youth, this year is no different.
    I'll enjoy the ride, whatever happens.
    The 98-99 year was pretty damn fun - even though the last game sucked.
    The idea that a team who fails to win a national championship is a failure or a bust is beyond ridiculous. Lots of things need to go our way for that to happen. It just sounds like duke haters trying to build up a team, add pressure to them, eager to pile on when a higher probability event occurs (that we don't win it all).
    These are exciting times - I can't wait to watch this young team grow.

I would change it to say that Duke's season would be a failure if you don't sweep Carolina. That's how I determine a successful Duke season

Garbage

If college playoffs were handled like the pros I wouldn't have as much problem with those who say a season's success hinges on winning a championship. I might not agree with it, but I could accept it. But for the many reasons already given to say that a season's success is determined by a one and done tournament is just crazy. I think if the article had been Duke Basketball: Failure if not Successful in 2018 it would have had a lot more credibility haha. The fact is with all of the talent we have (even young talent) we should have our fair amount of success in 2018. But I'm not expecting us to go undefeated. I hope one of those losses isn't in last 6 games of the season...but if it is it won't negate the rest of the season if it has been a successful one.

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    ... Came across an article today, entitled Duke Basketball: Is the 2017-18 season a bust without a championship?. ... "With this much talent, there can only be one acceptable outcome, as unreasonable as that may be. Duke must win the national title to declare this season a success."

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I didn't even click on the link. But I agree - it's a ridiculous notion. ...
    No need to click on the link, similar thoughts will be expressed on this board throughout the season.
    I'd rather say, with this much talent, there is much excitement and anticipation.

It's ridiculous for all the obvious reasons, but also for the reason that's been cited on this board many times: even the strongest top seed in any given Tournament only has about a 15% chance of winning it all. That's part of why people love the Tournament: it's never foretold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauderdevil View Post
    It's ridiculous for all the obvious reasons, but also for the reason that's been cited on this board many times: even the strongest top seed in any given Tournament only has about a 15% chance of winning it all. That's part of why people love the Tournament: it's never foretold.
    What he said.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Nobody is ever even money against the field.

Nobody.

Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by atoomer0881 View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this, so if the moderators find a better place to move it to, by all means, please do.

Came across an article today, entitled Duke Basketball: Is the 2017-18 season a bust without a championship?. This article essentially tries to compare this team to the 2015 Championship squad (which I never really like to do -- each team deserves to have its own identity), and then finishes up by saying "With this much talent, there can only be one acceptable outcome, as unreasonable as that may be. Duke must win the national title to declare this season a success."

I realize this article doesn't come from a reputable source and is just one fan's opinion, but it got me thinking. After going through what we went through last year with another uber-talented squad, I think we all can agree that there are many other factors at play besides having good recruits on paper. Chemistry (which honestly from videos that have been shared this summer, don't really appear to be an issue at this point with this squad), injuries (even typing the word gives me agita), and one off-night in a one-and-done Tournament are all things that can "derail" a season. I don't know about all of you, but I hate reading in August before a single game has been played that this season is Championship or Bust for Duke. I know we've discussed in other threads about what people consider to be a "good season" or a "successful season," etc. I know for me personally, if this team -- or any Duke team -- won the ACC regular season or ACC Tournament and made it to a Final Four, I'd never consider the season a failure if we didn't win it all.

While I absolutely am supremely confident in this group of guys, I hate seeing such unreasonable expectations laid upon them, especially so early in the year. As we all know, anything can happen.

Thoughts?
    Yeah this is especially stupid if they want to use a comparison to the '15 team as evidence, as noone outside of this board thought that team had a chance to cut down the nets. Everyone said Kentucky was going undefeated and couldn't lose.

This is typically what you hear from rival/jealous fan bases when Duke is highly ranked. Heck, we even stoop to it sometimes when a rival is top ranked preseason. Ignore, ignore, ignore and let's try not to do it ourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yeah this is especially stupid if they want to use a comparison to the '15 team as evidence, as noone outside of this board thought that team had a chance to cut down the nets. Everyone said Kentucky was going undefeated and couldn't lose.
    Didn't even think about that part. But yea, I obviously never gave the article any credit, but still made me think. Everyone else on this thread brought up really going points though for why it's garbage haha

Yea -- no point wasting time on this when time is running out to discuss lineups and minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Yea -- no point wasting time on this when time is running out to discuss lineups and minutes!
    And cinder blocks.

It's over.

They say that about Duke every year. It's the sports media favorite thing to do. Screw'em.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I would change it to say that Duke's season would be a failure if you don't sweep Carolina. That's how I determine a successful Duke season
    THIS
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

answer = 1999 Duke basketball. That explains enough.

After the injuries last season, you have to be grateful for the seasons that go off without a (major) hitch. With Coach K turning 71 this coming season, you have to be grateful for every season we get from him going forward.

I get excited about being in the conversation for a Title. But the NCAA Tournament is a total crapshoot, so you just cant think the way this article does.

Oh yeah, and this: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/kent...re-40-0-tattoo