Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mayweather Vs. McGregor

Ok. I'll start it. Is anybody watching this weekend? I am. I am a life-long boxing fan, but I'm not watching this fight as a boxing fan,I am watching for the entertainment value. Mayweather is going to pick McGregor apart, slowly and painfully.

Where it gets interesting to me is whether or not McGregor's ego and bravada are going to let him stand there and get pounded round after round in one of the most watched fights in history. I think at some point, McGregor loses it and his MMA training takes over. He starts sneaking in elbows, "accidental" take downs, etc. to fustrate and even scare Floyd. But if Mayweather hurts him early, those tactics to get dirty and distort the fight may not be available to McGregor.

The ultimate in terms of entertainment, would be if McGregor is in trouble and throws a snap-kick to the head before he even realizes he's done it. Mayhem ensues in the ring, and probably even in the stands. Floyd, intellegently, made sure to put it in the contract that if McGregor gets a DQ, he gets none of the potential $100 mil he stands to earn. McGregor might just be crazy enough not to care.

I'm watching with a group of friends. We're doing an in-person fantasy draft during the day and hanging around to watch the fight.

I don't see anyway McGregor can walk away with a win. Floyd is the one of, if not the best, defensive boxer of all time. He barely gets touched by the best boxers in the world. McGregor is not one of the best boxers in the world.

Is it PPV? Had not really thought about watching until this thread popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is it PPV? Had not really thought about watching until this thread popped up.
    I have little interest in watching a good boxing match, let alone one over hyped colossal mismatch. McGregor's getting a paycheck, so I get it. And people all over the world are talking about this, so he's getting plenty of attention for his discipline. But in terms of this fight? He stands little chance of making it entertaining, let alone winning.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I have little interest in watching a good boxing match, let alone one over hyped colossal mismatch. McGregor's getting a paycheck, so I get it. And people all over the world are talking about this, so he's getting plenty of attention for his discipline. But in terms of this fight? He stands little chance of making it entertaining, let alone winning.
    Looks like it is on Showtime PPV, so I guess I'll read about it Sunday morning.

Just watch clips from yesterday's yankees/tigers game. Way more action than you'll see between these guys.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Floyd, intellegently, made sure to put it in the contract that if McGregor gets a DQ, he gets none of the potential $100 mil he stands to earn. McGregor might just be crazy enough not to care.
    You are probably the first person to ever say Floyd and intelligent in the same sentence.

As far as the fight goes, I really hope Connor shocks the world and beats the living crap out of Floyd. He is a very very very bad person and doesn't deserve to have any money or fans.

My prediction is a very boring fight (remember how hyped Mayweather vs Pacquiao was and it was a snoozefest) that goes the distance or at least comes close. I can't stand Floyd but you cannot deny just how great of a defensive boxer he is. The only way this is even close is if McGregor gets extremely lucky and lands an early blow that knocks Floyd off his game. McGregor can't box but he has one hell of a left hand and it only takes one to completely change the dynamics of the fight if he can land it. It's a very big "if" though and my money would be on Mayweather to win by decision.

Can someone re-do the thread with a poll with what you think the outcome will be? Mayweather by KO - Mayweather by decision - McGregor by KO - McGregor by decision
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    My prediction is a very boring fight (remember how hyped Mayweather vs Pacquiao was and it was a snoozefest) that goes the distance or at least comes close. I can't stand Floyd but you cannot deny just how great of a defensive boxer he is. The only way this is even close is if McGregor gets extremely lucky and lands an early blow that knocks Floyd off his game. McGregor can't box but he has one hell of a left hand and it only takes one to completely change the dynamics of the fight if he can land it. It's a very big "if" though and my money would be on Mayweather to win by decision.

Can someone re-do the thread with a poll with what you think the outcome will be? Mayweather by KO - Mayweather by decision - McGregor by KO - McGregor by decision
    add "[ ] by DQ" too.

Ok. I'll start it. Is anybody watching this weekend? I am. I am a life-long boxing fan, but I'm not watching this fight as a boxing fan,I am watching for the entertainment value. Mayweather is going to pick McGregor apart, slowly and painfully.

Where it gets interesting to me is whether or not McGregor's ego and bravada are going to let him stand there and get pounded round after round in one of the most watched fights in history. I think at some point, McGregor loses it and his MMA training takes over. He starts sneaking in elbows, "accidental" take downs, etc. to fustrate and even scare Floyd. But if Mayweather hurts him early, those tactics to get dirty and distort the fight may not be available to McGregor.

The ultimate in terms of entertainment, would be if McGregor is in trouble and throws a snap-kick to the head before he even realizes he's done it. Mayhem ensues in the ring, and probably even in the stands. Floyd, intellegently, made sure to put it in the contract that if McGregor gets a DQ, he gets none of the potential $100 mil he stands to earn. McGregor might just be crazy enough not to care.
    Or bites his ear off.

McGregor is a really smart guy. He's talked himself into a $100 million dollar paycheck; there is zero chance that he does anything to jeopardize that.

I watch a lot of MMA. Albuquerque is a big MMA town. I've seen McGregor fight a lot. McGregor was out-boxed by Diaz after a few rounds when Diaz submitted him. Diaz is no Mayweather. As much as I hate Mayweather, he really is one of the best defensive fighters ever. I agree with Max Kellerman; I doubt McGregor lands a single legitimate head shot the entire night.

To give an example of how much of a mismatch this is, think of Rousey v. Holm. Ronda kept saying that she was a better striker than Holly. Holly is a local girl and I've seen her fight a lot. After seeing several interviews in which Ronda said she was going to out strike Holly, I contacted a friend in Vegas and bet $100 on Holly. That paid a nice $700 to me after the knock out. All most people remember is the kick, but Holly surgically took Ronda apart with her hands. Holly is a GREAT boxer, Floyd is much better and doesn't even have to worry about the other fighting disciplines coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    You are probably the first person to ever say Floyd and intelligent in the same sentence.

As far as the fight goes, I really hope Connor shocks the world and beats the living crap out of Floyd. He is a very very very bad person and doesn't deserve to have any money or fans.
    Having the brains to cash in on this fight deserves some credit. For both "fighters."

They had each more or less run out of earning potential in their own genre of entertainment, so they stage this "fight" - an old, retired boxer against an MMA fighter governed by the rules of boxing.

Although it is fairly clear that the aging Mayweather doesn't have the power to put McGregor away, it is becoming more and more clear that Connor can't box (he has been regularly bested by sparring partners).

Mayweather would have to make a huge mistake to get in trouble. McGregor trying to box against a professional boxer is like a country club golf champion who can break par on his home course thinking he has a chance at winning the US Open.

Let's see, McGregor won't be allowed to:

• Kick
    • Knee
    • Grab
    • Trip
    • Elbow
    • Backfist strike

What % of his offensive arsenal is left?

His punching simply cannot be at a level to cause Mayweather any concern.

MacGregor will lose a lot of blood, but will survive to collect his money. He is smart enough to take a loss and the $ rather than risk a DQ.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Yesterday on PTI someone said it was like a ping pong player vs Roger Federer. Too bad they won't get in the octagon in a few months as part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Too bad they won't get in the octagon in a few months as part of the deal.
    Now that I would pay to see!!!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Having the brains to cash in on this fight deserves some credit. For both "fighters."

They had each more or less run out of earning potential in their own genre of entertainment, so they stage this "fight" - an old, retired boxer against an MMA fighter governed by the rules of boxing.

Although it is fairly clear that the aging Mayweather doesn't have the power to put McGregor away, it is becoming more and more clear that Connor can't box (he has been regularly bested by sparring partners).

Mayweather would have to make a huge mistake to get in trouble. McGregor trying to box against a professional boxer is like a country club golf champion who can break par on his home course thinking he has a chance at winning the US Open.

Let's see, McGregor won't be allowed to:

• Kick
    • Knee
    • Grab
    • Trip
    • Elbow
    • Backfist strike

What % of his offensive arsenal is left?

His punching simply cannot be at a level to cause Mayweather any concern.

MacGregor will lose a lot of blood, but will survive to collect his money. He is smart enough to take a loss and the $ rather than risk a DQ.
    Excellently stated. If I were the kind to pick a nit, I would replace "run out of earning potential" with "maximized their earning potential" in their careers to date. I bet both still had money to make, but not like this payday.

I'll listen to the experts as far as prognostications go, but I still want Conor to knock that dude out.

This is kinda like football for me...once I realize the damage we are asking the athletes to inflict upon each other for our entertainment...the sport loses it's entertainment value for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    This is kinda like football for me...once I realize the damage we are asking the athletes to inflict upon each other for our entertainment...the sport loses it's entertainment value for me.
    Don't watch MMA at all and only slightly aware of boxing, so I'm stunned by the pay day ($200M vs $100M!?!). The average big four major American athlete plays four seasons and they're not making $25-$50M/year. Granted most have a low probability of dying during their sport, but the money is obscene relative to the risks involved. Read an article in the early '90s about extremely disproportionate levels of Parkinson's and dementia among retired Euro soccer players. A few head balls a game is not nearly as problematic as someone beating the crap out of you.

I'm going to a "cocktails and concussions" party to watch the fight.

I'm not into boxing or MMA, and I do like Rocky movies.

On paper, I have to believe Mayweather just torches MacGregor.
    I can't see MacGregor really even landing a punch.

My hope is whether MacGregor or Mayweather, that it is over quickly.
    Watching a typical Mayweather go the distance fight against someone who can't compete will be really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm going to a "cocktails and concussions" party to watch the fight.

I'm not into boxing or MMA, and I do like Rocky movies.

On paper, I have to believe Mayweather just torches MacGregor.
    I can't see MacGregor really even landing a punch.

My hope is whether MacGregor or Mayweather, that it is over quickly.
    Watching a typical Mayweather go the distance fight against someone who can't compete will be really boring.
    Just drink cocktails until you feel you have a concussion. Then Uber.

I just want it to be over with so it'll stop sucking up coverage.

FM is as people say 'a great defensive fighter'. Another way of saying that is that FM is 'the most boring fighter in the history of boxing'. At least CM is interesting. I'd only find this fight worthy of interest if they agreed to followup the boxing match with an MMA fight.

Let's hope CM somehow manages to land a lucky punch and knock out FM (just to make it interesting).