Turning 66 today, and reflections...

Today I turn 66, but really don't feel a day over 65 (but, I am.) And it's time to do a bit of reflection for me. Thankful for Mrs Devilwin, who has put up with me for 39 years. (She's a saint, lol) For my son, and his wife, and my three lovely, athletic granddaughters, the oldest will enter UNCG this fall, and my pride knows no bounds for her accomplishments, both on the softball field and the classroom. The middle kid is a sophomore but already has college scouts looking at her in the softball arena.
    The youngest was MVP in her rec league, and will play for the middle school this year. (sorry, but it's ok for Grandpa to brag a bit, ain't it?)
    Thankful for my time in the USMC, and for the time I spent playing football and basketball in school.
    Thankful I was still able to carry on with a young man's job as long as I have, but come March, I'm done with Fedex...Forever.. No more dreading Christmas for me!
    Glad I found this site, and have been a Duke fan since I was ten years old..
    Don't want to ramble, so I will close with a wish for all my friends here to have a safe, and prosperous New Year!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Happy birthday big guy. I'm 12 years your junior, but yes, it had better be okay for grandpa's to brag or we're all doomed! Keep up the good posts. Your perspective and experience are a benefit to the site from this grandpa's point of view. Happy New Year.
    Last edited by Reddevil; 12-26-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: @$%! new math

Happy birthday, Devilwin! Thank you for your service.

Of course, Grandpas can brag. I extend that right to Aunts so I want call out the grandparent bragging.

I have a mental list of DBR demizens that I would like to meet in real life and you are definitely on it. (May not be worth much but there you go. )

Happy Birthday Devilwin. As a January baby, I share the "meh" of a too near Christmas birthday but it really is more about counting those blessings than any gifts.

Although, I'll be accepting large sacks of cash if anyone is stumped for a idea.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Your birthday is the day after Christmas!!

Yikes!! Talk about anticlimax.

No wonder you're obsessed with killer animals.

Then again, Duke has never played a bowl game on Christmas day. And they've certainly never played one on my birthday (May).

So, plenty of reasons to have a good one.

Thanks to you all. Now if the wife will get that orange sherbet cake done....

Congrats on your birthday *and* retirement and thanks for sharing this and all your other stories.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

No problem. Sometimes I just like to ramble on...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    No problem. Sometimes I just like to ramble on...lol
    So does Led Zeppelin. And we like them, too.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Thanks to you all. Now if the wife will get that orange sherbet cake done...
    Orange sherbet cake? How have I never heard of this before now????

Happy Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Orange sherbet cake? How have I never heard of this before now????

Happy Birthday!
    It's killer! Here's the recipe.http://www.cooks.com/recipe/ba4nq1zp...rbet-cake.html

Best wishes on your Birthday and congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Having packed it in at the end of last April, it's a great feeling to know that your time is now your own, (ok except for when your wife wants something done.)

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Best wishes on your Birthday and congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Having packed it in at the end of last April, it's a great feeling to know that your time is now your own, (ok except for when your wife wants something done.)
    Ah, the dreaded Honey Do list..lol

Happy Birthday Devilwin. Great post, thank you for sharing...and of course it's OK to brag on your grandkids. Heck my girls are 13 and 15 (16 on 1/1) and they make me proud in some way every day. Hope you have a Happy New Year and congrats on your upcoming retirement, sounds like it's well earned.

Thanks, El, and yeah, I think it is..lol

The orange sherbet cake is done, but must chill a couple of hours, just in time for the bowl game!!!! Go Devils!

Today I turn 66, but really don't feel a day over 65 (but, I am.) And it's time to do a bit of reflection for me. Thankful for Mrs Devilwin, who has put up with me for 39 years. (She's a saint, lol) For my son, and his wife, and my three lovely, athletic granddaughters, the oldest will enter UNCG this fall, and my pride knows no bounds for her accomplishments, both on the softball field and the classroom. The middle kid is a sophomore but already has college scouts looking at her in the softball arena.
    The youngest was MVP in her rec league, and will play for the middle school this year. (sorry, but it's ok for Grandpa to brag a bit, ain't it?)
    Thankful for my time in the USMC, and for the time I spent playing football and basketball in school.
    Thankful I was still able to carry on with a young man's job as long as I have, but come March, I'm done with Fedex...Forever.. No more dreading Christmas for me!
    Glad I found this site, and have been a Duke fan since I was ten years old..
    Don't want to ramble, so I will close with a wish for all my friends here to have a safe, and prosperous New Year!
    Congratulations on being 66.I hope I am that lucky.i have a 27 yr old a 19 and a
    5 '8 230 pound 8th grader ..no grands yet
    I have a friend Nick that works in FedEx in Charleston sc.my cousin works on their jets in louisiana.seems like a good company.enjoy retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    ... I have a mental list of DBR demizens that I would like to meet in real life ...
    I had one of those lists too. But then you see the bloody Maple Leaf and the incessant left-eye blinking (did the Canadiens hit a nerve?) and it's sort of like seeing the Broadway star be rude to the coat check girl at the club.

Happy belated birthday, Devilwin! LGD GTHc 9F!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks, Ozzie!