Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

2017 Fantasy Football Thread

Figured I'd start a thread to discuss fantasy football for the 2017 season.

He's a question to get things started. In my league, we have a system where you get to pick your draft position. The person who came in last (12th) gets his pick of draft position. The next to last picks next (so basically, this guy turns in 2 numbers in case the last place guy has his first pick). I came in 10th in the league last year (yeah, that pretty much sucked). That means that I get third pick for draft position. If I want to pick at the top of the draft, I'd turn in "1, 2, 3" as my preferences. If I wanted to pick at the end of the round I could turn in "12, 11, 10", middle "7, 6 8". You get the idea. What would you choose and why?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

He's a question to get things started. In my league, we have a system where you get to pick your draft position. The person who came in last (12th) gets his pick of draft position. The next to last picks next (so basically, this guy turns in 2 numbers in case the last place guy has his first pick). I came in 10th in the league last year (yeah, that pretty much sucked). That means that I get third pick for draft position. If I want to pick at the top of the draft, I'd turn in "1, 2, 3" as my preferences. If I wanted to pick at the end of the round I could turn in "12, 11, 10", middle "7, 6 8". You get the idea. What would you choose and why?
    Assuming that you have a snake draft order (where the picking order is reversed in the even-numbered rounds), I don't like being that close to the top. I'd like the #3 pick, because I think it's hard to distinguish between David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, and Antonio Brown. Being third guarantees you one of those guys, and you pick sooner in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Assuming that you have a snake draft order (where the picking order is reversed in the even-numbered rounds), I don't like being that close to the top. I'd like the #3 pick, because I think it's hard to distinguish between David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, and Antonio Brown. Being third guarantees you one of those guys, and you pick sooner in the second round.
    I think it's very like that #1 and #2 are gone when you get your choice but I'd still put them at the top just in case. I think Johnson and Bell are special enough to covet those 2 spots.

After that I guess it depends how strongly you feel between Brown/Beckham/Jones. If you're indifferent then I guess #5 makes the most sense.

I actually don't mind picking last... you get a lot of value at #12/#13. The thing I hate about picking last is actually the 3rd/4th round. I think there's a significant drop off somewhere during the 3rd round and I hate to miss out on another top player. I guess this is an argument for going #3 over #5 but the difference is probably small.

I'd probably go 1, 2, 4 and take Brown or Beckham at 4. Julio's health status worries me a bit. I could get behind going 1,2, 12 though .

I guess you could also argue 2, 1, 4 is better if you're indifferent between Johnson and Bell. I'd rather have Johnson though.

I have to decide whether or not to set Zeke as my keeper. Oy!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I have to decide whether or not to set Zeke as my keeper. Oy!
    I'm a Redskins fan, that's an easy decision for me. I'll post my 'who should I keep question tomorrow'. We get 2 keepers and they count as one less draft round than the year before. So if I drafted Tyler Eifert in round 10 last year, he'd be my 9th round pick this year.

Thanks for the responses so far and, yes, snake draft is the format. Sorry I forgot that detail.

I think Johnson/Bell are preferable to Brown (although this is a PPR league) but my preference is biased by the fact that more often than not in this league I've been strong at WR and weaker at RB and I've not been successful of late so I'm looking to improve.

We draft our draft order based on last year's standings. So last place picks where they want to draft, then second to last, so on and so forth. Since I won the league, I got stuck with whatever pick was left. I ended up in the 10th spot in a ten team league. I don't mind that in the first or second round, but as someone mentioned above, it really hurts in the third round. Picking at either at the front or the back of rounds involves a little more strategy, imo. I end up having to reach for players I like more often.

Depending on who is selected in front of me, I think I'll be going RB/RB this year. I like the WRs I can get in the 3rd and 4th round better than the RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    We draft our draft order based on last year's standings. So last place picks where they want to draft, then second to last, so on and so forth. Since I won the league, I got stuck with whatever pick was left. I ended up in the 10th spot in a ten team league. I don't mind that in the first or second round, but as someone mentioned above, it really hurts in the third round. Picking at either at the front or the back of rounds involves a little more strategy, imo. I end up having to reach for players I like more often.

Depending on who is selected in front of me, I think I'll be going RB/RB this year. I like the WRs I can get in the 3rd and 4th round better than the RBs.
    luburch, what you describe is exactly what we do. Since I came in 10th out of 12, I'll get 3rd pick of where I want to go. Ironically, right now I'm thinking that any of the top 3 spots sound good. I was thinking of staying at #3 even if one of the other guys decides they want to pick something other than 1 or 2 but if I could move up a round I think I could pick one of the top two RB's (Johnson or Bell). Has to work out better than last year when I had the #4 spot and picked AP.

We do a cool thing in my keeper league that I like...

it's a 12-team league and 6 teams make the playoffs. The 6 teams that don't make the playoffs instead play for the #1 pick the following year. So when it comes playoff time everyone has something to play for.

I do like the wrinkle of letting people pick where they want to draft though. Would add a bit more strategy.

The #1 pick is actually extra valuable as we only let you keep 2 players and any player can only be kept twice before they have to go back into the draft (so you can have a guy for at most 3 seasons). This year guys like Bell, Brown and Beckham are all in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    We do a cool thing in my keeper league that I like...

it's a 12-team league and 6 teams make the playoffs. The 6 teams that don't make the playoffs instead play for the #1 pick the following year. So when it comes playoff time everyone has something to play for.

I do like the wrinkle of letting people pick where they want to draft though. Would add a bit more strategy.

The #1 pick is actually extra valuable as we only let you keep 2 players and any player can only be kept twice before they have to go back into the draft (so you can have a guy for at most 3 seasons). This year guys like Bell, Brown and Beckham are all in the draft.
    We keep 2 players (have to be different positions). They cost you a pick in the draft equal to X -1 where X is the round they were drafted in last year. So if you want to keep the guy you picked in the 6th round last year, he becomes your 5th round pick this year. This adds strategy because keepers aren't always the best players, they can be the best value. Also, no player drafted in the 1st round can be a keeper.

One of the things I'm trying to decide right now is whether to keep Tyler Eifert (10th round last year, 9th this year). Or Jack Doyle (undrafted last year, 15th this year).

I'll post my players and rounds later today or tomorrow and ask for advice on who to keep (although those 2 tight ends are on my short list).

I ended up with the #3 pick (pretty much what I expected) as the two guys that managed to suck worse than me last year chose to stay 1 and 2. My keepers are Bilal Powell and Tyler Eifert and they will be my 8th and 9th round pick. I basically picked my keepers by looking at ADP and which draft pick it would cost me and and trying to maximize the difference. For example Eifert is going to cost me my 9th round pick (the 99th pick) and his ADP is 76. Powell's ADP is 58 and the 8th round should make him the 94th pick.

Now that I know that I'm picking 3rd in that league, I have to figure out what to do with that pick. David Johnson is off the board as a keeper and I suspect that Bell and Brown will be the first two picks. With this being a PPR league, I can go either WR or RB. I usually just want the best player available in the first couple of rounds. The rankings I'm looking at for PPR list Julio Jones, OBJ, Shady McCoy and AJ Green as the next 4 players available.

Had our live draft over the weekend. I enjoy doing drafts in-person, but they take so much longer. Not thrilled with my team, but not overly disappointed either. Going to need some solid waiver pickups this year.

Anyone interested in a casual FF league of DBR folks? I was commissioner for the last eight years and sick of setting things up, but I would love to join someone else's squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Anyone interested in a casual FF league of DBR folks? I was commissioner for the last eight years and sick of setting things up, but I would love to join someone else's squad.
    I'd do it. We need to move kinda quickly. If we can get 10 or 12 players, let's make this happen. We should figure out some fun prize for the winner too... maybe a pie

-Jason "I was gonna post some of my sleepers that I think are good picks, but now I am glad I kept it to myself " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I take the 3rd spot and grab Antonio Brown (The other 2 shouldn't fall) and when the pick comes back to you i grab Zeke. After that it's just personal preference but I feel you have to start that way.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'd do it. We need to move kinda quickly. If we can get 10 or 12 players, let's make this happen. We should figure out some fun prize for the winner too... maybe a pie

-Jason "I was gonna post some of my sleepers that I think are good picks, but now I am glad I kept it to myself " Evans
    I'm down too as long as we keep it standard (scoring and roster).
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Now that I know that I'm picking 3rd in that league, I have to figure out what to do with that pick. David Johnson is off the board as a keeper and I suspect that Bell and Brown will be the first two picks. With this being a PPR league, I can go either WR or RB. I usually just want the best player available in the first couple of rounds. The rankings I'm looking at for PPR list Julio Jones, OBJ, Shady McCoy and AJ Green as the next 4 players available.
    In this instance I'm taking Shady. The only option left on that team and he gets a good workload. Julio is such an illusion fantasy player. He almost will make you lose as many games as he wins for you and the rest of the time he is just average.

1 down and 3 to go

The first of my "for money leagues" was just completed yesterday. 10 team standard scoring and had 10th pick.

QB: Dak/Ben

RB: Gordon/Zeke/Crowell/DMC/Quizz Rodgers/Mixon/West

WR: AJ Green/M Bryant/D Hopkins/M

TE: Reed

Start 1 qb, 2 rbs, 2 wrs, 1 te, 1 flex, 1 k and 1 d

My first draft is done as well. This is a no money league, standard scoring:

Flying Elvises
    1.(5)LeSean McCoy (Buf - RB)
    2.(20)Amari Cooper (Oak - WR)
    3.(29)DeAndre Hopkins (Hou - WR)
    4.(44)Kareem Hunt (KC - RB)
    5.(53)Martavis Bryant (Pit - WR)
    6.(68)Doug Martin (TB - RB)
    7.(77)Tyler Eifert (Cin - TE)
    8.(92)Paul Perkins (NYG - RB)
    9.(101)Andrew Luck (Ind - QB)
    10.(116)John Brown (Ari - WR)
    11.(125)Duke Johnson Jr. (Cle - RB)
    12.(140)Carson Palmer (Ari - QB)
    13.(149)Coby Fleener (NO - TE)
    14.(164)Josh Doctson (Was - WR)
    15.(173)Los Angeles (LAR - DEF)
    16.(188)Stephen Hauschka (Buf - K)

Next draft is Monday night for a PPR league where we put in some money up front and bid on players all season. I can win some decent cash if I win that one. That's the league where my keepers are Eifert and Powell and they will cost me a 9th and and 8th round pick. I'll pick third, D.Johnson is a keeper and the two Pitt players will come off the board 1 and 2 so I have an early decision to make (McCoy or OBJ or Jones or ?).

I sold my fantasy franchise for a couple of craft beers to be named later. Best deal I ever made.