Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ics-make-sense

“Celtics All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving said Tuesday that a contract extension this summer doesn't make sense for him and that while he's already bracing for the daily questions about his future, his sole focus is on getting healthy for next season and helping Boston take another step toward title contention.

Meeting with Boston reporters for the first time since March to cap a day spent promoting his "Uncle Drew" movie, Irving said it "sucked" to be sidelined for the postseason, glowed about Boston's future potential, acknowledged the challenge of competing with the Golden State Warriors and said he would leave roster decisions to management when asked about the possibility -- no matter how remote -- of being reunited with potential free agent LeBron James.

Irving is eligible for an extension this summer but, even coming off another knee surgery that sidelined him for Boston's improbable run to the cusp of the Finals, was adamant that he'll wait for the summer of 2019 to examine his future.

"Contractually, financially, [an extension] just doesn't make any sense," Irving said.”

I said it weeks ago, trade Kyrie & Hayward (plus maybe a draft pick) for LeBron. Works for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I said it weeks ago, trade Kyrie & Hayward (plus maybe a draft pick) for LeBron. Works for both teams.
    Two young stars and a draft pick is a lot to give up for a couple years of prime LeBron. It may or may not be worth it, but I don't think that fits with the Celtics current MO (they are positioning themselves to be a power in the East both immediately and for years to come without any real "window" but if they go for LeBron they have a 2-3 year window and then everything resets). If they go hard for LeBron (unlikely, I think), that isn't how they'll do it.

Plus, shouldn't teams wait until they see if LeBron will ever recover from his gruesome hand injury before making these moves?

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ics-make-sense

“Celtics All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving said Tuesday that a contract extension this summer doesn't make sense for him and that while he's already bracing for the daily questions about his future, his sole focus is on getting healthy for next season and helping Boston take another step toward title contention.”
    Don’t read too much into this espn clickbait. This is the same story as Klay Thompson not re-signing this summer to get the extra $80m (for one extra contract year) but with Klay espn was saying how this was smart. With Irving they are spinning this in a possible negative light. I imagine the talking heads will be out in force as well. If you are Irving though and you know you will get a max deal anywhere you want in free agency and potentially super max if you stay in Boston, why wouldn’t you wait a year and see how the league power shifts and your place on a rising Celtics team before deciding. Round earth questioning or not, this is a confident and intelligent man who bets on himself. Therefore this “news” is not at all surprising and very rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Two young stars and a draft pick is a lot to give up for a couple years of prime LeBron. It may or may not be worth it, but I don't think that fits with the Celtics current MO (they are positioning themselves to be a power in the East both immediately and for years to come without any real "window" but if they go for LeBron they have a 2-3 year window and then everything resets). If they go hard for LeBron (unlikely, I think), that isn't how they'll do it.

Plus, shouldn't teams wait until they see if LeBron will ever recover from his gruesome hand injury before making these moves?
    I would take 2-3 years of Lebron vs 2-3 years of Hayward any day of the week. He will be 29 next year and players usually start to decline rapidly after 30. He isn’t that young. Kyrie is a different story. He is fantastic and more than likely will be at his peak for probably the next 2 seasons. But he is injury prone so it’s a gamble.

If I’m the Celtics, I make this trade minus the draft pick. I think you can still have a great foundation built for the future while also having the best shot to win now.

I think there's almost no way Cleveland could get Hayward & Irving & first round pick. For one thing, the salaries are really problematic - the Celtics would have to do something stupid like take Tristan Thompson as well to make the numbers work out. If there really is a chance for LeBron to go to the Celtics, Hayward is the most likely one to move - his salary makes the numbers work better and pairing him plus a first round pick (and maybe plus assorted pieces) would be an incredible haul for the Cavs given that the alternative is getting nothing back but cap room if James leaves in free agency.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Boston already has a great coach, they don't need another guy trying to call all the shots (as great as he may be).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Boston already has a great coach, they don't need another guy trying to call all the shots (as great as he may be).
    Are you speaking about the man who is a coaching and general managing genius in his own mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Are you speaking about the man who is a coaching and general managing genius in his own mind?
    Isiah Thomas isn't affiliated with Boston
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club