Marshall Plumlee selected to Americup team

Thought this was worthy of its own thread.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Why aren't more NBA players doing this? I mean, the team is all DLeague guys and a couple deeeeep bench NBAers. Why aren't some 9th-13th guys doing this?!?

Oh well, nice for MP3!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Why aren't more NBA players doing this? I mean, the team is all DLeague guys and a couple deeeeep bench NBAers. Why aren't some 9th-13th guys doing this?!?

Oh well, nice for MP3!
    Probably because they don't want to risk injury during their offseason for a "meaningless" tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Probably because they don't want to risk injury during their offseason for a "meaningless" tournament.
    Because... because... Coach K is no longer in charge and the Team USA concept is falling apart.

Actually, looking up FIBA Americas 2013, the United States didn't compete at all.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Oh well, nice for MP3!
    I don't believe that NBA players were allowed to try to join this and that USA Basketball was not looking for them to do so. I suspect that Marshall's deal will not become official until after this tournament. There tend to be insurance and other cost issues that limit how much USA Basketball will call on NBA players. Also, they are trying to find the best players possible who might be available for qualifying games, which I suspect prevented any current college players from being considered, unlike the 2015 Pan-American Games team, which mixed collegians and non-NBA pros.