OADs and Succession Plans

Mark Titus on Coach K, OADs, and succession plans

Titus is conflicted about OADs (I am too), and wonders how this will affect the Duke culture. He also pays tribute to Coach K's greatness. My criticism is that last season was not "the most disappointing season of Coach K's career", and he spitballs a whole bunch of names about who Duke's coach might be on the premise that the OAD era makes it less important that our next coach is a "Duke guy."

"Duke ... is now primed to have recruited three classes in four years in which three or more players leave for the NBA following their freshman seasons. Krzyzewski is no longer taking a page from Calipari’s book when it comes to recruiting—he’s taking the whole damn book."

I have to admit that stings a little. But overall, I think this piece is an excellent read and recap of Duke's performance in the one-and-done era, and what that might mean down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

Titus is conflicted about OADs (I am too), and wonders how this will affect the Duke culture. He also pays tribute to Coach K's greatness. My criticism is that last season was not "the most disappointing season of Coach K's career", and he spitballs a whole bunch of names about who Duke's coach might be on the premise that the OAD era makes it less important that our next coach is a "Duke guy."

"Duke ... is now primed to have recruited three classes in four years in which three or more players leave for the NBA following their freshman seasons. Krzyzewski is no longer taking a page from Calipari’s book when it comes to recruiting—he’s taking the whole damn book."

I have to admit that stings a little. But overall, I think this piece is an excellent read and recap of Duke's performance in the one-and-done era, and what that might mean down the road.
    he forgot to put an asterisk next to boeheim's wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

I'd like to throw one more potential successor name out there that I have not seen mentioned anywhere: Mike White.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

He lost me when he said he wouldn't be surprised at a Dirk Nowitski or Kobe Bryant hire. Seems like Jeff would be the favorite right now. If K lasts three or four more years, who knows.

He knows as much as we know, which is precisely nothing.

Maybe there will be three head coaches to replace coach K when the time comes; Scheyer, Smith and Singler

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    He lost me when he said he wouldn't be surprised at a Dirk Nowitski or Kobe Bryant hire. Seems like Jeff would be the favorite right now. If K lasts three or four more years, who knows.
    Yeah, I saw the Dirk and Kobe reference as a mediocre attempt at a rhetorical flourish. (If I was the editor, I might have suggested Kevin Hart or Lavar Ball).

Right now, I would say that an over-under of 3.5 more seasons would split the range of guesses around 50/50.

On the recent CBS Eye onCollege Basketball podcast immediately after the Bagley announcement, Parrish discussed the perception amongst other coaches and media. Essentially Duke is about winning and Indistinguishable from every other school. If There ever was a "Duke Way" its dead too.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    On the recent CBS Eye onCollege Basketball podcast immediately after the Bagley announcement, Parrish discussed the perception amongst other coaches and media. Essentially Duke is about winning and Indistinguishable from every other school. If There ever was a "Duke Way" its dead too.
    wow do i disagree. i see a program that is as much about character and excellence as it is winning. it does all of them better than any program i'm aware of. its sad to see this taken for granted by the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    wow do i disagree. i see a program that is as much about character and excellence as it is winning. it does all of them better than any program i'm aware of. its sad to see this taken for granted by the fans.
    And we won't take this for granted.

http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...PALBID=2153458

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    And we won't take this for granted.

http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...PALBID=2153458
    Why wasn't Matt Jones in the picture?

I think it is a

I think it is a poor read because it does not discuss injuries. I don't know why injuries never get discussed when talking about Duke taking OAD players (actually I do because it doesn't fit the narrative). You can't discuss Kylie without mentioning he basically missed the season due to injury. You can't accurately discuss last season without mentioning the fact that most of the team got injured. If Duke had a healthy team last year with a 100% healthy Giles, I believe they would have won a title. When they won in 2015, there lineup stayed healthy. If they suffered injuries that year they would not have won.

Instead of questioning OAD players in the Duke program, they should question why so many Duke players have suffered injuries since 2010. It is probably coincidence, but those injuries mean as much as this supposed changing culture.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    I think it is a poor read because it does not discuss injuries. I don't know why injuries never get discussed when talking about Duke taking OAD players (actually I do because it doesn't fit the narrative). You can't discuss Kylie without mentioning he basically missed the season due to injury. You can't accurately discuss last season without mentioning the fact that most of the team got injured. If Duke had a healthy team last year with a 100% healthy Giles, I believe they would have won a title. When they won in 2015, there lineup stayed healthy. If they suffered injuries that year they would not have won.

Instead of questioning OAD players in the Duke program, they should question why so many Duke players have suffered injuries since 2010. It is probably coincidence, but those injuries mean as much as this supposed changing culture.
    Injuries! Exactly! Think of all the times in this OaD era that we've had an amazing team stuffed by injury. I can think of at least 3 years where we had realistic title capable teams that were taken away by injury. (2011, 2013, 2017)
    I would almost call 2011 a sure thing if Kyrie stayed healthy the whole season. We were unstoppable with him early on.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    Injuries! Exactly! Think of all the times in this OaD era that we've had an amazing team stuffed by injury. I can think of at least 3 years where we had realistic title capable teams that were taken away by injury. (2011, 2013, 2017)
    I would almost call 2011 a sure thing if Kyrie stayed healthy the whole season. We were unstoppable with him early on.
    Yes, but as we know, there's zero relevance to THIS season.

/s

The part of the article that most caught my attention was the landscape regarding coaches in their 70s. The window sure appears to close quickly.

I am very much of the mindset that we are in bonus time with K at this point,but this increased my desire to make the most of every minute we have left.

I thought it was interesting that Titus thought Wojo was going to be the next coach. The only name that Coach K has ever uttered in that regard is Johnny Dawkins (please correct me if I'm wrong) and that was a decade ago. Wouldnt Collins have just as much of a chance as Wojo? I would personally write Brad Stevens a blank check if I'm the aD; but the Celtics rebuild has Stevens in a good spot.

Titus also called last season the most disappointing in Coach K's career. Did Coach K ever say that? Because it probably was not.

Lastly, that is a lot of surgeries in 18 months! Anything we get from Coach K beyond this season is an absolute gift. Enjoy it!