DBR Podcast #80 - Emergency Podcast! Bagley to Duke!

Yup, we hopped on and did a pod within minutes of the big news tonight. That is how dedicated to all of you we are

Check it out here -- https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/db...ruiting-update

0:10 Sam welcomes us to podcast #80, the giddy about Bagley podcast
    2:00 Jason recaps what it was like watching the Marvin Bagley iii announcement and points out that he thinks the Duke staff knew about Bagley’s decision for several days, at least.
    8:00 Donald likes that Danny Ferry agreed to let Bagley take his number and thinks is says something about Bagley’s potential
    11:00 Jason breaks down Bagley’s game and says he is the best high school prospect since Lebron… wow!
    15:20 Donald talks about Bagley’s biggest weapon, an unstoppable jump hook
    17:50 Sam brings up the question of Javin DeLaurier’s playing time
    19:30 The conversation turns to the other big commitment Duke just got, Tre Jones the younger brother of Tyus Jones.
    21:10 Donald didn’t see the Tre Jones commitment video! Sam and Jason ridicule him so Donald goes to watch it. While we wait for Donald’s reaction, Jason and Sam laugh about the Minnesota to Duke pipeline
    24:30 Donald has seen the video and gives us his live reaction… it is all about the #Brotherhood!
    27:55 Now that we have talked about everything about Tre Jones except how he plays, we go back and give a Tre Jones scouting report
    31:30 Sam returns the conversation to the current team with reaction to K’s knee surgery and the cancellation of the Dominican Republic trip
    36:30 Parting shots – Donald is looking forward to the basketball schedule and the start of football season
    37:05 Parting shots – Jason calmly talks about the end of the UNC scandal, which he says will happen this week
    40:45 Parting shot – Sam with a shout out to some old Duke friends he saw at a wedding
    41:10 Goodbye and Duke band

-Jason "you can hear how giddy I am throughout this sucker... I am just having fun fun fun!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I was hoping Jason was going to throw the curve he did at he end and was thrilled he did. This announcement is no time for the voice of reason!!!

Great episode...love how no matter who is hosting that week Jason just takes over and sets the agenda! Good insight on this pod though and plenty of reason for the excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I was hoping Jason was going to throw the curve he did at he end and was thrilled he did. This announcement is no time for the voice of reason!!!
    You are talking about the Dominican Republic Trip conspiracy, right? Like I said on the pod, I normally think conspiracy theories are silly, but this one just makes a bit too much sense. And, like I said at the beginning, the Ferry jersey thing tells me that Duke was pretty darn sure Bagley was picking us well ahead of the actual announcement.

-Jason "I am glad folks could hear the unabashed joy and excitement from us... and the moment Donald watches the Tre Jones video was the best!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You are talking about the Dominican Republic Trip conspiracy, right? Like I said on the pod, I normally think conspiracy theories are silly, but this one just makes a bit too much sense. And, like I said at the beginning, the Ferry jersey thing tells me that Duke was pretty darn sure Bagley was picking us well ahead of the actual announcement.

-Jason "I am glad folks could hear the unabashed joy and excitement from us... and the moment Donald watches the Tre Jones video was the best!!" Evans
    Only conspiracy theorist think their theories make sense
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Yep, fun pod, guys! Thanks for getting together right after the Bagley announcement. Agree with you guys that the #Brotherhood brand is catching fire.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    Great episode...love how no matter who is hosting that week Jason just takes over and sets the agenda! Good insight on this pod though and plenty of reason for the excitement!
    Let's be clear: we set the agenda ahead of time, and we USUALLY know at what points Jason will Hulk out. I'm not usually caught off guard by the Jasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Let's be clear: we set the agenda ahead of time, and we USUALLY know at what points Jason will Hulk out. I'm not usually caught off guard by the Jasoning.
    We have a general plan, but there's a fair bit of rolling with the punches and mid-stream course adjustment that happens.

We are just 3 Duke fans being fans... that's all this thing is. Hope folks like it.

The "emergency" pod was a welcome addition to my 2 hour drive the next day, thanks boys!

One thought on the "brotherhood" t-shirts, I absolutly would get one and pay top $ for it (it would go with my 1K hat!). But why not take one extra step? I'll buy one at top dollar but the school takes the extra money and sends one to a past player, member of the "brotherhood". I am assuming that only the current players are getting them but the brotherhood goes back much further, let the fans join in, get a sweeeeeet shirt for yourself and "sponsor" one to one of the past players too. If they were really on it, they could let us know who got the one you "sponsored".

Imagine getting a compliment on your shirt and explaining that you like it so much, you sent JJ one.

My 2 cents.
    The ceiling is the roof

Yes, 100%. I was cracking up.

As I have listened to some media pods about the decision, I was caught a bit off guard by the reports of grumbling about this whole development a master K manipulation, namely...

-The DR trip was never going to happen. K set it up simply to get the practices in and had the knee surgery ready all along
    -Per the above, the school of thought is that there is no way the knee suddenly needed surgery, as if he was a player who sustained an injury in the heat of battle. Obviously, he knew it was bad but the timing is viewed as too convenient
    -Many coaches who pursued Bagley said there is no way he'd ever be cleared academically, but because it's Duke, the NCAA will turn a blind eye, and that's why he chose Duke

Obviously, K has generated a lot of rivals and people think he and Duke get a pass...I guess as a fan I should be used to that kind of chatter by now. I don't think we even got all the practices in, anyway...didn't the total sit at 3 of 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Yes, 100%. I was cracking up.

As I have listened to some media pods about the decision, I was caught a bit off guard by the reports of grumbling about this whole development a master K manipulation, namely...

-The DR trip was never going to happen. K set it up simply to get the practices in and had the knee surgery ready all along
    -Per the above, the school of thought is that there is no way the knee suddenly needed surgery, as if he was a player who sustained an injury in the heat of battle. Obviously, he knew it was bad but the timing is viewed as too convenient
    -Many coaches who pursued Bagley said there is no way he'd ever be cleared academically, but because it's Duke, the NCAA will turn a blind eye, and that's why he chose Duke

Obviously, K has generated a lot of rivals and people think he and Duke get a pass...I guess as a fan I should be used to that kind of chatter by now. I don't think we even got all the practices in, anyway...didn't the total sit at 3 of 10?
    I get the gist of the the anonymous coaches' complaints, but why is the NCAA so beholden to Duke? Will the ratings or the brand suffer if Duke doesn't get Bagley? People will still irrationally hate Duke and watch ESPN to let that hate flow through them. It's not like Duke, angry with the NCAA, can go rogue. I do appreciate the frustration that Duke held these extra practices and basically got them for free, but the idea that Duke can knowingly break rules that others can't seems dubious. Maybe I'm naive.

I am curious: is there any cash flow developed by the Podcast and, who benefits?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    No cash flow at all I66. No sponsors no income no budget...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    No cash flow at all I66. No sponsors no income no budget...
    There are costs associated with hosting the podcast on SoundCloud, editing software, microphones and other hardware, and perhaps a couple other things. But, we have just absorbed the cost ourselves up until now.

We have talked about allowing advertising companies to sell ads. That is done by many, many podcasts. We haven't come to any final decisions on that and if any income is generated, I'm sure it would be fairly small. Maybe we will eventually reach the point where the three of us are paid as much as a dollar or two per hour for our work on this. Ha!

It is a labor of love. If, by some miracle, I'm able to buy dinner for my wife once every few months to thank her for being tolerant of the time I spend on this, I will be elated!

Jason "would folks object if we did have ads?" Evans

My question goes to using posts on this board to promote a for profit enterprise, especially without full notice and disclosure. I seem to recall raising this same question in the past when a poster on this board often linked to his site that became and still is, I think, a for profit premium recruiting site. Those assurances of otherwise proved flawed.

Jason "would folks object if we did have ads?" Evans
    I have followed several podcasts of varying topics that made the transition from "hobby that a couple people who enjoy talking decide to do totally on their own in their garage" to "actual production that has commercial interruptions and makes money." I don't think anybody ever gets rich off of podcasts (unless your name is Adam Carolla or Marc Maron) but many shows do seem to hit a wall where they can no longer sustain the podcast paying out of their own pocket, and the advertising income allows them to stay afloat.

As a listener, the commercial interruptions don't bother me too much. I guess I'd say I'm used to it. Obviously I'd prefer to not have them if given the choice, but if the alternative is to have no DBR podcast then I say bring them on!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I have followed several podcasts of varying topics that made the transition from "hobby that a couple people who enjoy talking decide to do totally on their own in their garage" to "actual production that has commercial interruptions and makes money." I don't think anybody ever gets rich off of podcasts (unless your name is Adam Carolla or Marc Maron) but many shows do seem to hit a wall where they can no longer sustain the podcast paying out of their own pocket, and the advertising income allows them to stay afloat.

As a listener, the commercial interruptions don't bother me too much. I guess I'd say I'm used to it. Obviously I'd prefer to not have them if given the choice, but if the alternative is to have no DBR podcast then I say bring them on!
    Add Bill Simmons to your list. He seems to have monetized podcasts effectively.

Our general philosophy as we've talked about this topic internally is that we don't want people to stop listening because of cumbersome ads. If you don't mind us doing them, then I'd say they're probably coming at some point if our listenership remains steady. I'm a regular podcast listener and don't mind ads on the shows I listen to, but others may feel differently.