Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ferry Explains #35 Decision

Perhaps this has been linked; if so, please fell free to delete.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...ens-basketball

Cool story, and it makes a lot of sense, considering we're running out of jersey numbers. It was going to happen eventually. 35 will still hang in the rafters with Ferry's name on it. I have no problem with this.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Cool story, and it makes a lot of sense, considering we're running out of jersey numbers. It was going to happen eventually. 35 will still hang in the rafters with Ferry's name on it. I have no problem with this.
    Almost zero chance it will be retired twice.

Just being loaned for 9 months.

I think the Chronicle story contains one small factual error.

It says that this will be the first time that a retired jersey is worn by an active player.

Not true.

Jeff Mullins' number -- No. 44 -- was retired on the night of Dec. 6, 1994.

That season, senior Cherokee Parks was wearing No. 44. He continued to wear if for the rest of the season (for evidence, check out this story about the famous UNC at Duke game in 1995 -- it has youtube clips that clearly show Parks wearing No. 44 -- two months after Mullins' jersey was retired: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...me-ever-played ).

Also, freshman Thomas Hill was wearing Art Heyman's No. 25 when it was retired on Mar. 4, 1990. Hill wore No. 12 his last three years at Duke. I can't remember whether he changed from 25 to 12 for the postseason games in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Me neither. Obviously, Danny loves Duke. His ego is firmly established, was and is always in check. One humble guy, albeit bruised from mistakes, like any other human on the planet.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    His number, and it appears his choice. My choice would have been that he hold strong and leave his number permanently in the rafters where it belongs. Want the digits on your chest revered in Cameron? Earn them, and make them yours. Danny did.

Grumble grumble.

PS..
    Duke has retired 13 numbers in total, leaving just 23 non-retired numbers available for active players since no college player can have a digit greater than five on his jersey.
    "Just 23"? Seriously? Earn it, and there will be "only" 22.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    His number, and it appears his choice. My choice would have been that he hold strong and leave his number permanently in the rafters where it belongs. Want the digits on your chest revered in Cameron? Earn them, and make them yours. Danny did.

Grumble grumble.

PS..

FUNNY22.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

It says that this will be the first time that a retired jersey is worn by an active player.

Not true.

That season, senior Cherokee Parks was wearing No. 44. He continued to wear if for the rest of the season (for evidence, check out this story about the famous UNC at Duke game in 1995 -- it has youtube clips that clearly show Parks wearing No. 44 -- two months after Mullins' jersey was retired: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...me-ever-played ).

Also, freshman Thomas Hill was wearing Art Heyman's No. 25 when it was retired on Mar. 4, 1990. Hill wore No. 12 his last three years at Duke. I can't remember whether he changed from 25 to 12 for the postseason games in 1990.
    In Mullins speech, Jeff said something like, "Cherokee's got a lot more basketball to play in number 44."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Not true.

Thomas continued to wear 25 throughout the NCAA Tournament (found on You Tube the Duke-UConn game to confirm.)

Possible Jersey Numbers

If the largest numeral that can appear on a jersey is 5, then the largest jersey number is 55.
    So 55 minus 13 leaves 42 jersey numbers to still pick from, right?

PS..

"Just 23"? Seriously? Earn it, and there will be "only" 22.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Im4howdy View Post
    If the largest numeral that can appear on a jersey is 5, then the largest jersey number is 55.

PS..

If the largest digit that can appear is 5, you can't use 16 or 29 or 48... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Im4howdy View Post

PS..

[/QUOTE]

No. A full array of possible numbers is 31: 5x6=30 + 1 (the 00). Subtracting the 13 retired numbers leaves only 18. (Numbers beginning with zero… 01, 02, etc..., are not permitted.) Until recently, Duke did not use the number 0. Moreover, I am unaware that 00 has ever been used by a Duke player.

Since a squad usually has only 13 players, a demand for retired numbers is pretty high since players can’t share a number. And making it even tougher is if a squad exceeds 13 members (walk-ons), the demand becomes even greater. Conceivably all 18 available numbers could be used, and the 19th (hypothetical player) would force the use of a retired number.

So, yeah, there are 18 unretired numbers. And retirement of any can be earned. [I'm betting that it will be a four-year player, so the odds are high.]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

No. A full array of possible numbers is 31: 5x6=30 + 1 (the 00). Subtracting the 13 retired numbers leaves only 18. (Numbers beginning with zero… 01, 02, etc..., are not permitted.) Until recently, Duke did not use the number 0. Moreover, I am unaware that 00 has ever been used by a Duke player.

Since a squad usually has only 13 players, a demand for retired numbers is pretty high since players can’t share a number. And making it even tougher is if a squad exceeds 13 members (walk-ons), the demand becomes even greater. Conceivably all 18 available numbers could be used, and the 19th (hypothetical player) would force the use of a retired number.

So, yeah, there are 18 unretired numbers. And retirement of any can be earned. [I'm betting that it will be a four-year player, so the odds are high.]
    I think the 23 is correct. 6x6=36
    00, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
    20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
    30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35,
    40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
    50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

36-13=23

Just to be clear, I think a team can have a 0 or 00 -- not both at one time.

I wasn't aware of the "no digit greater than 5" rule. What is the reasoning?
    T '05, SOM '10

Number of fingers on (most) refs' hands. So they can tell the scorer's table who gets the foul.
    Last edited by grounds0405; 08-17-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by grounds0405 View Post
    Number of fingers on (most) refs' hands. So they can tell the scorer's table who gets the foul.
    Yeah. It's really complicated when there are 10 players on the court...

With technology and dozens of stat gurus near the court at all times, this whole "5 digit" system is pretty stupid.

Also, I think it's absolutely pointless to retire jerseys if players are going to be using them again for other players. I really don't understand that. If other players can now wear them, what's the point of retiring any jersey? Coach K just opened this up at Duke, just as he did with the 0 and 1 and now every OAD seems to have those numbers.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah. It's really complicated when there are 10 players on the court...

With technology and dozens of stat gurus near the court at all times, this whole "5 digit" system is pretty stupid.

Also, I think it's absolutely pointless to retire jerseys if players are going to be using them again for other players. I really don't understand that. If other players can now wear them, what's the point of retiring any jersey? Coach K just opened this up at Duke, just as he did with the 0 and 1 and now every OAD seems to have those numbers.
    Well, the real honor is to have your name on a jersey hanging in Cameron's rafters, right? And to be known as a player whose number was retired in media guides, programs, wikipedia, etc. It's not like the jersey is coming down from the rafters to be given to Bagley, and I don't think references to Ferry's #35 being retired at Duke will be deleted from wiki. Does this move somewhat diminish the jersey retirement? Perhaps, but I also think 95% of the honor remains, AND since Danny was contacted and approved of the move, I don't see an issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Well, the real honor is to have your name on a jersey hanging in Cameron's rafters, right? And to be known as a player whose number was retired in media guides, programs, wikipedia, etc. It's not like the jersey is coming down from the rafters to be given to Bagley, and I don't think references to Ferry's #35 being retired at Duke will be deleted from wiki. Does this move somewhat diminish the jersey retirement? Perhaps, but I also think 95% of the honor remains, AND since Danny was contacted and approved of the move, I don't see an issue here.
    I don't think there is an issue with Marvin using the jersey number, I just think it's stupid to retire a number if you're going to bend. If the honor is in having your jersey up in the rafters, why not just put a jersey with a name and no number? Doesn't that make more sense?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club