Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Any updates on reclassification process? I feel like we're all just assuming he will actually play this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    Any updates on reclassification process? I feel like we're all just assuming he will actually play this year...
    I may be optimistically naive, but I don't think Duke would sign Bagley if there was plenty of risk that he wouldn't be eligible. I would like to think that Duke does a "due diligence first, offer second" approach, even with a talent like Bagley.

I'd be surprised if this was an Enes Kanter-type situation. I'm expecting Bagley to suit up for all games.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I may be optimistically naive, but I don't think Duke would sign Bagley if there was plenty of risk that he wouldn't be eligible. I would like to think that Duke does a "due diligence first, offer second" approach, even with a talent like Bagley.

I'd be surprised if this was an Enes Kanter-type situation. I'm expecting Bagley to suit up for all games.
    honest question - why wouldn't duke sign bagley even if there was a big risk he'd be ineligible? still plenty of upside. A+ practice player for teammates. Another potential NBA star who is connected with Duke. We are under the scholly limit for this season, so he's not taking the spot of another player. i just don't see a whole lot of risk (outside of normal risks with any player). it's not like there is anything shady about it assuming he's fit to be a student at duke and duke follows the ncaa rules in terms of the eligibility process.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

As soon as Bagley announced, the GoDuke.com (official Duke) was modified to add Bagley to the roster. I wouldn't worry about his eligibility. Duke talks to the NCAA all the time.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    honest question - why wouldn't duke sign bagley even if there was a big risk he'd be ineligible? still plenty of upside. A+ practice player for teammates. Another potential NBA star who is connected with Duke. We are under the scholly limit for this season, so he's not taking the spot of another player. i just don't see a whole lot of risk (outside of normal risks with any player). it's not like there is anything shady about it assuming he's fit to be a student at duke and duke follows the ncaa rules in terms of the eligibility process.
    If Bagley wasn't eligible to play this year I doubt he stays at Duke for the year. He would most likely just spend the year training on his own with no limits on practice, workouts, and money he can receive from agents and sponsors.

There's a risk of disappointing me, hurting my fan feelings and wrecking all my rotation projections. That's quite enough. I *need* Bagley to be eligible (and like others, am very confident he will be).

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    ... Duke talks to the NCAA all the time.
    But we don't get the special treatment that unc gets! unc gets these long love letters asking about players from all sports over the last couple of decades.

The NCAA even invited unc and its top coaches to spend a couple of days away with them (I think the ncaa was just being coi)

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    If Bagley wasn't eligible to play this year I doubt he stays at Duke for the year. He would most likely just spend the year training on his own with no limits on practice, workouts, and money he can receive from agents and sponsors.
    by being ineligible, wouldn't he technically be able to partake in those things? agree, though, that duke probably wouldn't be the best place for that.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As soon as Bagley announced, the GoDuke.com (official Duke) was modified to add Bagley to the roster. I wouldn't worry about his eligibility. Duke talks to the NCAA all the time.
    So does Carolina, but I suppose the conversations are a bit different.
    Last edited by Rich; 08-21-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Just saw that BD80 beat me to it!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

by being ineligible, wouldn't he technically be able to partake in those things? agree, though, that duke probably wouldn't be the best place for that.
    If he were still a scholarship player he would have to follow NCAA rules or the team would be punished.

I know that when Enes Kanter was at Kentucky, waiting for a ruling from the NCAA Clearinghouse, he was able to practice with the team. Even after he was ruled ineligible, he was still able to practice with the team. He was not allowed to travel with the team on Kentucky's dime.

No problem with Bagley working out at Duke formally or informally.

And, I'm told, there are no real concerns about his eligibility this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I know that when Enes Kanter was at Kentucky, waiting for a ruling from the NCAA Clearinghouse, he was able to practice with the team. Even after he was ruled ineligible, he was still able to practice with the team. He was not allowed to travel with the team on Kentucky's dime.
    After he was ruled ineligible, Kentucky hired him onto their staff as an assistant coach. That was the only reason he was allowed to practice with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    There's a risk of disappointing me, hurting my fan feelings and wrecking all my rotation projections. That's quite enough. I *need* Bagley to be eligible (and like others, am very confident he will be).
    More seriously, it would be really embarrassing to the school if he passed their admissions office but was later deemed by the NCAA to have not met the sufficient requirements to have graduated high school.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Shortest period between commitment and enrollment in Duke history?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    More seriously, it would be really embarrassing to the school if he passed their admissions office but was later deemed by the NCAA to have not met the sufficient requirements to have graduated high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    LOL, yea, don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's at Duke....but, how exactly do you graduate a year early from high school and then be admitted to one of the most competitive colleges in the county, all in the span of two weeks? Should we be bothered by this? Some of my non-Duke friends have given me grief about this whole maneuver. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Perhaps cosmic payback for the near matriculation of Bill Bradley who committed to Duke but then, at the 11th hour, didn't show up? Cosmos works in strange ways as yesterday's Moon vs. Sun illustrated.
    Bill fails to show, and 56 years later Marvin shows up in his place. Twilight Zone stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    LOL, yea, don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's at Duke...but, how exactly do you graduate a year early from high school and then be admitted to one of the most competitive colleges in the county, all in the span of two weeks? Should we be bothered by this? Some of my non-Duke friends have given me grief about this whole maneuver. LOL.
    C'mon, don't be naïve ... how many athletes enter with the academic profile of a normal Duke student? Duke is not alone in this matter -- EVERY major college and university (including most of the Ivy League) makes exceptions for athletes.

Out of 12 scholarship basketball players and 80-plus football players, I doubt that 25 would qualify as non-athletes.

Of course, Bagley's acceptance was out of the norm -- but no more out of the norm than Brandon Ingram, Jahlil Okafor or Trevon Duval. Now, Wendell Carter may very well have gotten into Duke with his grades, but he's the exception -- not Mr. Bagley.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    LOL, yea, don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's at Duke...but, how exactly do you graduate a year early from high school and then be admitted to one of the most competitive colleges in the county, all in the span of two weeks? Should we be bothered by this? Some of my non-Duke friends have given me grief about this whole maneuver. LOL.

Exactly how does this get done without the "benefits not generally available to other students" tag? I know there must be an existing system in place to make sure we're in compliance, but it seems like a risky thing to continually partake in.

Are the admissions standards and procedures for student-athletes different than the general student body?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    C'mon, don't be naïve ... how many athletes enter with the academic profile of a normal Duke student? Duke is not alone in this matter -- EVERY major college and university (including most of the Ivy League) makes exceptions for athletes.

Out of 12 scholarship basketball players and 80-plus football players, I doubt that 25 would qualify as non-athletes.

Of course, Bagley's acceptance was out of the norm -- but no more out of the norm than Brandon Ingram, Jahlil Okafor or Trevon Duval. Now, Wendell Carter may very well have gotten into Duke with his grades, but he's the exception -- not Mr. Bagley.
    I still don't think you're giving Duke and it's non-athlete student population enough credit. I'd argue that less than 3% of basketball/football players could get into Duke on academics. And that 3% is probably being very, very, very generous. Duke's acceptance rate was 9.2%, and the vast majority of students who applied are in the top 10% of their respective classes.

Duke is a phenomenal academic institution. I really doubt that Carter nor Allen get into Duke without sports. Just because you "enjoy your studies" doesn't mean you are qualified to get into Duke.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club