Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If the theaters can continue to get people to buy concessions at 1000 percent profit, they shouldn't care if people get into the theater for free.

Joking. Sort of. Maybe. Kinda.
    My wife has a purse we call her "movie purse". It's big enough to hold two bags of microwave popcorn plus two bottled waters.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If the theaters can continue to get people to buy concessions at 1000 percent profit, they shouldn't care if people get into the theater for free.

Joking. Sort of. Maybe. Kinda.
    What's more, if I am only spending $10/month to go to all the movies I want, I am probably not going to flinch as much at dropping $8 for a bag of popcorn and $5 for a soda. If I just spent $25 on 2 tickets to the movie, I am going to be significantly more reluctant to buy that $4 SweetTarts box.

MoviePass, which I too had never heard of before yesterday, has gotten a ton of publicity in the past 24 hours. I bet they have a ton new subscribers too. Though they claim they are collecting important demographic and marketing info on their customers that they can monetize, I suspect they are going to be losing money hand-over-fist very soon and will have real trouble staying in business. Perhaps their model is to capture a significant portion of the moviegoing business and then negotiate a sweeter ticket price deal from AMC and others. I dunno...

-Jason "if I did not go to most movies for free, I'd be all over the $10 moviepass" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Ringer has an article up on how Rotten Tomatoes impacts the movie industry. Interesting read.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    MoviePass, which I too had never heard of before yesterday, has gotten a ton of publicity in the past 24 hours. I bet they have a ton new subscribers too. Though they claim they are collecting important demographic and marketing info on their customers that they can monetize, I suspect they are going to be losing money hand-over-fist very soon and will have real trouble staying in business. Perhaps their model is to capture a significant portion of the moviegoing business and then negotiate a sweeter ticket price deal from AMC and others. I dunno...

-Jason "if I did not go to most movies for free, I'd be all over the $10 moviepass" Evans
    DOOOOOMED!!! DOOOOMED I tell ya!

Helios and Matheson, the parent company of the popular movie subscription service, said that it had a service outage on Thursday because it couldn't afford to pay for movie tickets. The company borrowed $5 million in cash Friday to pay its merchant and fulfillment processors, according to a regulatory filing.
    https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/27/med...age/index.html
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 07-27-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Would have been a great short.

2018 does appear to be a better summer than last year.

MoviePass and Questions

My wife and I each have MoviePass. We are retired so we try to go to one movie a week, usually at a slow time Monday or Tuesday afternoon. The only issue we have with it so far is that our local theater has reserved seats and we can not reserve the seats until we got to the box office so to insure we can get decent seats we go on off hours.

While it has been good for us and we have seen many more movies than if had to pay $10 or so per movie, the business model just seems like a loser. I just hope we don't get charged for the next month and then they go out of business before we can see a movie that month.

I think you will see all of the chains adopt something like what AMC did. Monthly fee at a more sustainable price and less generous than one movie a day. Finding the right model is probably tricky. How much would you pay with a limitation of 5 movies a month? How much more for 10? Keeping down fraud is another issue. Our local theater requires photo id to use MoviePass, which adds to the check-in time.

Another question - When does MoviePass go out of business as we know it? Before the World Series, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Super Bowl?

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I think you will see all of the chains adopt something like what AMC did. Monthly fee at a more sustainable price and less generous than one movie a day. Finding the right model is probably tricky. How much would you pay with a limitation of 5 movies a month? How much more for 10?
    I agree that the industry will try to find a subscription model that works. Everyone will be watching AMC. One thought I have heard bandied about is the notion of a subscription service that allows you to see movies Mon-Thu, which are typically slower days for the theaters. Everyone is worried about messing with the big crowds for blockbusters on Friday and Saturday. I have also heard that AMC is trying to study whether people on their subscription service buy more concessions. They did not have to pay for a ticket at that moment so, the theory goes, they will feel less reluctant about spending $15 on a popcorn, coke, and overpriced candy. If that proves to be true, the industry will jump all over this model (though Hollywood will not like it as they don't care whether the theaters sell more popcorn).

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Another question - When does MoviePass go out of business as we know it? Before the World Series, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Super Bowl?
    I'd put my money on Labor Day. I cannot fathom why anyone would loan them money going forward to keep this money-losing business model afloat. Their current market cap is 3.37 million dollars. In other words, they borrowed about twice the value of the company on Friday just to pay their credit card processing company. If you had invested $1.25 million in Moviepass back in October, less than a year ago, your investment would be worth... wait for it... $2 today.

The news has been so bad lately, I would expect very few new subscribers are joining, as everyone is worried the company will shut down before you can buy your next ticket.

They are done.

-Jason "Go see a movie tonight, because there is a non-zero chance the company won't be around tomorrow" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

MoviePass Latest Changes and More Thoughts

Some theaters have what is called e-ticketing. I have not used it but you buy your ticket at home through the app and get a response on your phone which you show at the theater for admission. My guess is that that MoviePass is not paying the theater full price for those tickets. This weekends big hit Mission Impossible seems to be only available on MoviePass at theaters that have e-ticketing.

They recently added something called surge pricing. The idea is that you pay a surcharge for popular movies or times. MoviePass is trying to justify this by saying that it will help the theaters by driving customers to slower days and times. I have not run into it but many people have complained that surge pricing was applied when there were few people in the theater. MoviePass says that do this "holistically" whatever that means.

We do not buy more overpriced food because we got into the movie for less.

My understanding is that the movie distributor gets a percentage of the ticket sales, as does the theater owner. I wonder how AMC Stubbs splits the gross. Something for subscription models to figure out.

SoCal

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The free fall continues. MoviePass' parent company's stock (HMNY) opened this morning at $2, and is now under $1.
    As they say in Cameron...Ahhhhhhh Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeya!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

MoviePass Latest

Today the only theaters in my reasonable vicinity that have showings available for MoviePass are those that do e-ticketing. While I am guessing, my guess is that MoviePass does not reimburse the theaters full price for e-ticket movies.

There appears to be a war between the movie owners and MoviePass. MoviePass has its millions of subscribers as its weapon in the war. Basically they went concession in the form of reduced prices for MoviePass users. I think the general logic goes - Discount coupons are sold at Costco, why not give MP the same break? MP is increasing attendance and sales of popcorn, candy, etc. so give it a break on admission price. MP is driving customers to times and shows that are off-peak and putting bodies in otherwise empty seats.

Last weekend MP had so called Peak Pricing on every movie in the theaters nearest to me. Had we gone to a movie we would have paid MP $8 for the tickets rather than $12 or so to the theater. I am not sure how much MP is making off of Peak Pricing.

Mission Impossible Fallout was only on MP at e-ticket theaters in my area (and I think everywhere). It did $61 Million domestic opening weekend, a record for the franchise. Hard to see that that MP blackout has hurt the box office.

We will probably drive to an e-ticket theater tomorrow.

SoCal

Moviepass stock is tanking further. Now $.70 a share.

The company now says it will not be able to sell tickets to upcoming releases like Christopher Robin and The Meg. I'm not sure why it would bar certain films from the service as I believe it pays the same amount for a ticket to a new release as it does for a ticket to a film that has been in theaters for weeks. I guess this is an effort to stop subscribers from using the service. If you cut out new releases, there is simply less demand for people to use their moviepass. I know a guy who has one who goes to 4 or 5 movies a week and he said there just aren't any movies left that he can see with his moviepass.

--Jason "the crashing stock now means that my house is worth more than the entire company... and I don't live in that nice of a house" Evans

I think

Moviepass stock is tanking further. Now $.70 a share.

The company now says it will not be able to sell tickets to upcoming releases like Christopher Robin and The Meg. I'm not sure why it would bar certain films from the service as I believe it pays the same amount for a ticket to a new release as it does for a ticket to a film that has been in theaters for weeks. I guess this is an effort to stop subscribers from using the service. If you cut out new releases, there is simply less demand for people to use their moviepass. I know a guy who has one who goes to 4 or 5 movies a week and he said there just aren't any movies left that he can see with his moviepass.

--Jason "the crashing stock now means that my house is worth more than the entire company... and I don't live in that nice of a house" Evans
    I think MoviePass is barring major releases for two reasons.
    1. As you stated, cutting down on usage and saving money. Kind of a strange way to try to succeed.

2. MP wants the theaters to give them a break on ticket price. They hope the BO for these releases will be reduced and the theater owners will then strike a deal. Jason would know better than I if Mission Impossible Fallout was hurt.

My subscription runs to Aug 3. Trying to decide if I should cancel now or hope it lives for another month.

SoCal

Their stock actually jumped up to $2 today after they announced they are raising subscription prices and limiting viewing on major release movies. Then reality set in that that idea means you pay more for less, and it dropped down to about 50 cents. Someone made a boatload of cash though if they bought at .70 and sold at 2.00. Whoever bought at 2.00 isn't very happy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Their stock actually jumped up to $2 today after they announced they are raising subscription prices and limiting viewing on major release movies. Then reality set in that that idea means you pay more for less, and it dropped down to about 50 cents. Someone made a boatload of cash though if they bought at .70 and sold at 2.00. Whoever bought at 2.00 isn't very happy right now.
    The new MoviePass price point puts them within a few bucks of the AMC Stubs A-List monthly program which allows you to go to 3 movies a week and, unlike MoviePass, they can be IMAX or 3D or prime-time first release showings. You can do two or three movies in a day if you want, unlike MoviePass which limits you to one a day. The AMC program is much better, no question about it, and Twitter is full of people who are cancelling their MoviePass to get the AMC A-List.

But, sadly, the AMC pass only allows you to go to AMC theaters and that will be a problem for some smaller, independent films that don't make it to AMC. MoviePass had been a real boon to smaller documentaries and independent films and that will go away now, which is a real pity.

Some of these Tweets are hilarious.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/31/what...-problems.html

And down to 0.23

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    And down to 0.23
    Currently 15 cents. It now costs more to send my sons to college for a year than it does to buy the entire Moviepass company.

Currently 15 cents. It now costs more to send my sons to college for a year than it does to buy the entire Moviepass company.
    Down to 0.07 with a market cap of $117.78k. That's some pricey school your kids are attending.

It won't be long I'll be able to buy MoviePass using my emergency fund! I've always wanted to be a CEO!

MoviePass Shutting Down, Parent Company ‘Unable To Predict If Or When…Service Will Continue’

https://deadline.com/2019/09/moviepa...wn-1202734166/

Hang on... Moviepass was still operating? I'm just shocked they hung on as long as they did.

HMNY today said that it formed a strategic review committee comprised of independent directors, to identify, review and explore all strategic and financial alternatives for the Company, including a sale of the Company in its entirety, a sale of substantially all of the Company’s assets including MoviePass, Moviefone and MoviePass Films. Today, MoviePass notified its subscribers that “it would be interrupting the MoviePass service” effective Sept. 14 to because its efforts to recapitalize MoviePass have not been successful to date.

What the heck is Moviepass? Or, was movie pass?