Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I guess they ran out of fools to separate their money from.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    What the heck is Moviepass? Or, was movie pass?
    Something akin to a firm that sold all-you-can-eat annual passes that were to be accepted at other people's restaurants.

until they were no longer accepted, that is.

The most shocking thing in the release is that Moviefone is still around. I thought Google and the smartphone killed it off years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The most shocking thing in the release is that Moviefone is still around.
    Maybe the value of product placement can have a really long tail.

In news that I thought had been news a long long time ago, Moviepass and its owner officially filed for bankruptcy today. Absolutely no one on the planet is shocked at this development.

ultimately, MoviePass’ cash-burning business model proved unsustainable. For full-year 2018, its most recent financial filing, Helios and Matheson reported its net loss more than doubled, to $329.3 million, on revenue of $232.3 million.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hit the "New" button on this thread and started reading responses. Read a bunch of posts before I realized they were from 2017!

My father in law recently closed his movie theater and had to declare bankruptcy. At one point he said he was at Costco and saw a 65" 4k capable TV for something crazy like $300. Between that and streaming services...

(Note his theater was unique and faced some other challenges over time).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's Baaaaaaack!

MoviePass will return on September 5th with plans starting at around $10 per month
    MoviePass is about to write the next chapter in its turbulent history. A beta of the revived service will launch on or around September 5th (Labor Day). Pricing will vary depending on each market, but it will be a tiered system costing around $10, $20 or $30 per month. Insider, which first reported the relaunch details, notes that users will get a number of credits each month to see movies in theaters. There won't be an unlimited plan at the outset.
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...144903613.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Meanwhile, the parent for Regal Cinemas is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy