NFL 2017 preseason and season thread

Not sure if there is one floating around, but pro football is back!

The Panthers opened things up this week and all the buzz is about Max McCaffrey's brother.

Rookie QBs in Houston and Chicago had nice debuts. Watson played solidly showing his legs and decent accuracy.

Meanwhile, in Chicago Trubisky is doing his best to create a QB controversy. Glennon and Sanchez both stunk tonight, but Trubisky has looked electric. Great mobility, quick reads, quick release, and very accurate. 13-15 for 123 yards and a TD, 123 passer rating so far. The plan was to have him essentially redshirt this year and let Glennon start. But if things keep going this way it is going to be a very hot seat for Glennon.

I love football and especially the nfl but I have two rules.

1) I watch zero pre-season games. Zero. No matter what.

2) No football in August. Football starts in September.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Carry on.
    I take any football I can get. Especially in August, when the doldrums of the baseball season hit and we aren't quite yet to the heat of the pennant race.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I take any football I can get. Especially in August, when the doldrums of the baseball season hit and we aren't quite yet to the heat of the pennant race.
    The doldrums of baseball hit when the season starts and lasts through the third game of the world series.

I keep hoping that the NFL will go out of business so ESPN can talk about something else January thru December.

Carry on.
    I do get a kick out of how all the conversations this time of year basically follow two threads:

Guy #1: "Did you see XX player last night? Our team won a close one and is looking great! He's going to be a hall of famer!"
    Guy #2: "Relax, it's just the preaseason. It means nothing."

Or,

Guy #1: "Did you see XX player last night? He looked horrible/sat out/was scratched! Our team lost and is really struggling. We'll be lucky to win 4 games."
    Guy #2: "Relax, it's just the preseason. It means nothing."
    "There can BE only one."

Cowboy's Elliott suspended for 6 games for violating the league's domestic abuse policy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nded-six-games

The interesting thing here is he has never been charged with a crime. The league investigated and came to this decision on their own.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Cowboy's Elliott suspended for 6 games for violating the league's domestic abuse policy.

The interesting thing here is he has never been charged with a crime. The league investigated and came to this decision on their own.
    They must have either a confession or some iron clad evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post

Just because an employee violates a company policy does not mean they committed a crime. Elliott was suspended for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yep, he destroyed his cell phone ...

IMO, it's sad how differently the Cowboy's react to their employees behavior dependent upon how important the employee is to the organization. I thought the Cowboy's "must have either a confession or some iron clad evidence" when they released a defensive back, in July, for shoplifting at a convenience store. A day later the local police said it was a different person who shoplifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, it's sad how differently the Cowboy's react to their employees behavior dependent upon how important the employee is to the organization. I thought the Cowboy's "must have either a confession or some iron clad evidence" when they released a defensive back, in July, for shoplifting at a convenience store. A day later the local police said it was a different person who shoplifted.
    Sadly, this is not a problem limited to the Cowboys. Talent gets one far more leash in many many places.

Sadly, this is not a problem limited to the Cowboys. Talent gets one far more leash in many many places.
    No doubt, it's all about the money! Forget man's best friend, we want Michael Vick!

Not limited to, but much more common to the 'boys.

Even with the player that was falsely arrested, it was one of his "posse" that was using the player's ID.

Jerry Jones is an egomaniac that would hire [insert despicable historical figure] if it gave him a better chance of making the playoffs (the Super Bowl no longer a feasible goal).

I think there should be playoffs and another Super Bowl in the preseason. That's the only way to know for sure who has the best second and third string players. I've already given up on my Bengals this year. Is it too soon? I look forward to another generation of ineptitude from my team. Brewing coffee; not feeling optimistic just yet.

Well, this post by EE's girlfriend is pretty convincing evidence. Those bruises are real.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    I think there should be playoffs and another Super Bowl in the preseason. That's the only way to know for sure who has the best second and third string players. I've already given up on my Bengals this year. Is it too soon? I look forward to another generation of ineptitude from my team. Brewing coffee; not feeling optimistic just yet.
    I think they are going to be worse this year. If I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I think they are going to be worse this year. If I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    A healthy Dalton and Green together plus Mixon should be pretty darn good.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking