Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think we're spending a lot of time analyzing the snap reaction of a high school senior.

Also -- and perhaps this is my fault for skimming so I'm just catching up to y'all -- this did not occur in the championship game:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/no-...ms-dream-title

I'm moving on.
    I agree. Please close this thread!!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Two teenagers in a pressure situation, one couldn't look and the other swiped her putt away in frustration without checking first. The rules were correctly applied, and they'll both learn from this.
    Thank you. May your sanity prevail in this mostly ridiculous discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I agree. Please close this thread!!
    Huh. I guess you could close the thread. I have found it rather fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Fair enough if we are just talking about golf rules. However in my opinion this thread is very much about criticizing a Duke Athlete.i didn't think we were allowed to do that. I can't imagine that there would be as much criticism of Justice Winslow if he stepped out of bounds, got an advantage from it, and did not admit it!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I don't think there was anything wrong with the thread. And I can personally attest, having met the OP before the Sun Bowl in El Paso, that he is a true Duke guy. I appreciate him bringing the matter to my attention.

I just think the subsequent analysis on this thread is getting somewhat skewed. The event happened in a blink of an eye. By definition, everyone who has thought, typed, and posted has spent more time on the issue than it took to transpire.

She is a high school senior. She acted within the rules. Making judgments about her sportsmanship in such a situation seems mighty unfair.

I would hate to be judged by what I did in certain situations in college, let alone when I was 17 or 18. Jeesh.

Is it possible that Moon thought she lost the match when she missed that putt!? Might explain why she picked up her ball so abruptly and quickly wjrhout looking around first.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Is it possible that Moon thought she lost the match when she missed that putt!? Might explain why she picked up her ball so abruptly and quickly wjrhout looking around first.
    No, it is not possible.

And she's a 16 year old rising Junior, not a Senior.

Close the thread please

I don't think there was anything wrong with the thread. And I can personally attest, having met the OP before the Sun Bowl in El Paso, that he is a true Duke guy. I appreciate him bringing the matter to my attention.

I just think the subsequent analysis on this thread is getting somewhat skewed. The event happened in a blink of an eye. By definition, everyone who has thought, typed, and posted has spent more time on the issue than it took to transpire.

She is a high school senior. She acted within the rules. Making judgments about her sportsmanship in such a situation seems mighty unfair.

I would hate to be judged by what I did in certain situations in college, let alone when I was 17 or 18. Jeesh.
    Thanks, OPK. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that people want to close the thread. My intent on opening the thread was just to let people know that she had won but with a bit of controversy. I went on to write why there was controversy. I think the rules analysis since has been pretty fascinating. I actually meant to post in the "off-topic" forum but mistakenly opened it here.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Actually, that's against the rules as well. both feet must be on the same side of the putting line.
    Well Chevy Chase, Ty Webb, and Mitch Cumstein would all vigorously disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    and people wonder why golf is losing popularity (I now duck and scurry away in my lime green pantalons)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think the issue is that there wasn't a great Caddyshack reference...until now!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Well Chevy Chase, Ty Webb, and Mitch Cumstein would all vigorously disagree!

I think the issue is that there wasn't a great Caddyshack reference...until now!
    did Miss Moon perhaps shout "I'M HAVING THE ROUND OF MY LIFE" before lighting struck?
    April 1

See the ball; be the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that people want to close the thread
    Because people that don't know about golf are opining that there's a controversy. Wrong. But, the Caddy Shack turn means this thread needs to go on forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ...(I now duck and scurry away in my lime green pantalons)
    What? Did you outgrow your plus fours?

What? Did your plus fours have holes in the knees?

Wait...You're wearing pantaloons? With or without a top?

I don't think there was anything wrong with the thread ...
    Not yet, anyway, but we haven't gotten to Erica's views of Woodrow Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Not yet, anyway, but we haven't gotten to Erica's views of Woodrow Wilson.
    Woody would not concede the putt, but instead would form a standing body aimed at preventing the problem from arising again.

Woody would not concede the putt, but instead would form a standing body aimed at preventing the problem from arising again.
    It is a huge Princeton/UVA problem. Call in John J.

When I went back and looked at the video again, I got a different impression. After Elizabeth Moon's putt missed, she raked the ball back,and prepared to take a practice putt. That's what's often done in match play when one misses a putt and loses the hole. Except, except -- she halves the hole with a tap-in and, if she had truly lost the hole, the sudden-death match would have been over. I think Elizabeth had a double brain freeze.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013