Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Kyrie Irving Demands Trade: Gets traded to Celtics

Uh-oh. Looks like the wheels are falling off.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...land-cavaliers

I'm really disappointed in the announcement. It's not a good look to want off a very successful team with the generations most popular player for other players (a pass first superstar). Wanting more of the spotlight but maybe winning less is just the opposite of the current NBA culture.

However, I also completely understand it if the reasoning is something else. The Cavs have been a volitlile place for the last few years. Two coaches in two years, no GM, now no cap flexibility, Love always on the chopping block, an owner who is ... erratic. And finally LBJ on the last year of his contract and rumors flying that he and George are set to go to the Lakers and KI left holding the bag with a roster still maxed out, poor management.

I don't like it but if the idea is to get off the sinking ship first... I can't argue with that logic.
    The ceiling is the roof

Wow. That's a good way to get the public to turn on you. Hopefully there is more to this because I would hate to see KI turned into a villain.

Kyrie has been to three straight Finals and plays with a top 5 player of all time who loves making other guys better.

Kyrie sounds like the problem, if this report is true. He needs to grow up and focus on why his defense regressed in the Finals, not why he thinks he should shoot more.

One ESPN line (I'm at a restaurant with TV on mute) said KI to Spurs would make sense after they lost the Chris Paul contest.
    I'd be interested to see Pop coach KI on D. But that could be a good fit.
    The ceiling is the roof

I think that it's probably a little of both, ready to do his own thing and part the Cavs are a mess and LeBron might be leaving anyway.

I think it's not necessarily disappointing or childish. There are lots of other industries where you have success and want to go elsewhere to see if you can do it on your own. Lawyers do it all the time, people start businesses, succeed then leave to go to other businesses. It does seem more selfish in team sports, but I have a hard time really getting on the guy for it. I would probably rather play with LeBron that without, but it doesn't mean that everyone has to.

Demanding trades is always a bad look IMO, it's why leaving in FA never bothered me at all.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I think that it's probably a little of both, ready to do his own thing and part the Cavs are a mess and LeBron might be leaving anyway.

I think it's not necessarily disappointing or childish. There are lots of other industries where you have success and want to go elsewhere to see if you can do it on your own. Lawyers do it all the time, people start businesses, succeed then leave to go to other businesses. It does seem more selfish in team sports, but I have a hard time really getting on the guy for it. I would probably rather play with LeBron that without, but it doesn't mean that everyone has to.

Demanding trades is always a bad look IMO, it's why leaving in FA never bothered me at all.
    Could be the the Cavs leaked it to make Kyrie look bad, or the his agent leaked it to alert other teams. Either way, it crushes the locker room.

Why not shut your trap for 12 months, go to a 4th straight Finals with Lebron then figure the rest out?

My guess is Kyrie was miffed the Cavs may have shopped him before the Draft. But this makes him look sour.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    This seems a bit unusual, even by NBA standards. Not a good look for Kyrie.

Ummm, Cavs fans are not going to like him for doing this.

That said, with it seeming more and more likely that Lebron will be gone after next season, I can certainly see why Kyrie would want to find a different home. Even if they lose Lebron, the Cavs will be in a really bad situation cap-wise. They could be in for many years of rebuilding and dealing with bad contracts.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

As someone who grew up as a Duke fan in Ohio while Lebron was dominating high school hoops on national TV - I was ecstatic to see Kyrie and Lebron both on the Cavs. I've been a little disappointed with the Lebron to LA rumors and now with news about Kyrie. I will hold out hope until they are gone, but I don't blame either if they decide leaving is best for them. They will continue to be two of my favorite players to watch and cheer for. My opinion of Dan Gilbert, however, is quite different and probably not appropriate for DBR.

Cleveland isn't a big media market, which is probably the main reason. It is disappointing to hear the insinuation that Kyrie wants to be the man more than he wants to compete for NBA titles.

Not that I lose sleep over what happens in the NBA.

Health permitting Kyrie's best days on the court are ahead of him. But they are not that far away. If he wants out, but stays in Cleveland for the balance of his contract, he may spend his athletic peak putting up meaningless numbers for a lottery team.

It is Kyrie's career and he only has one shot. If now is the time to get out, I will not blame him for doing his best to control his fate.

I'm not too worried about how it looks. As long as his process is solid, I'm 100% in support.

And yes, he did text me before instructing his agent to demand a trade, just to make sure someone on DBR had his back.

i definitely do NOT blame KI for trying to get out of that town/team...lebron's not gonna stay....why not get on a team that's got a shot?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i definitely do NOT blame KI for trying to get out of that town/team...lebron's not gonna stay...why not get on a team that's got a shot?
    Now that's really funny considering one of the teams he is willing to go to is the Knicks. I'm really sick of these players getting huge money and then sulking like a little child. Aldridge with the Spurs is a prime example of what I'm talking about. Dude needs to shut-up, honor his contract and put up numbers, the rest will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Now that's really funny considering one of the teams he is willing to go to is the Knicks. I'm really sick of these players getting huge money and then sulking like a little child. Aldridge with the Spurs is a prime example of what I'm talking about. Dude needs to shut-up, honor his contract and put up numbers, the rest will take care of itself.
    If the Knicks can snag Kyrie then him and KP would be a great duo to start with. Would enjoy seeing them together.

Melo and sign and trade Rose
    For
    Kyrie, Frye and someone(s) to clear
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    If the Knicks can snag Kyrie then him and KP would be a great duo to start with. Would enjoy seeing them together.

Melo and sign and trade Rose
    For
    Kyrie, Frye and someone(s) to clear
    If I am Cleveland's GM, I would hang up the phone... after laughing so hard that I passed out first.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If I am Cleveland's GM, I would hang up the phone... after laughing so hard that I passed out first.
    Aren't you as much of a GM as they have right now? In that case I would recommend not passing out as that could be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Aren't you as much of a GM as they have right now? In that case I would recommend not passing out as that could be dangerous.
    I think they just hired one. But yeah, I will only hypothetically pass out.