Page 56 of 204 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    No, Jim said that Duke was the "perceived leader" for Antoine and James.
    OK. Nonetheless, the staff was very confident they had both. Very very confident. Which is why few other guards were pursued, and why they now find themselves scrambling.

Cole Anthony continues his nation-wide tour this weekend. He's visiting Oregon along with 4* Chandler Lawson.

Duke thought they were in very good shape with both Antoine and James, especially Antoine.

My "perceived leader" comment was directed more at the fan base and the assumption that the timeline of last year's class is somehow analogous to the timeline of this year's class, when the circumstances are quite different.

Duke cooled on Girard when they saw him play this summer against ACC-caliber athletes.

Girard seems like a terrific player, but if recent recruiting is an indicator, 4 Star 6’1” shooting guards wouldn’t get a lot of Duke PT.

Of course, if he does pick Duke, I’m sure the staff is confident he can contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Girard seems like a terrific player, but if recent recruiting is an indicator, 4 Star 6’1” shooting guards wouldn’t get a lot of Duke PT.

Of course, if he does pick Duke, I’m sure the staff is confident he can contribute.
    his height isn't the problem; his athleticism is (bad summer vs better competition).

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke thought they were in very good shape with both Antoine and James, especially Antoine.

My "perceived leader" comment was directed more at the fan base and the assumption that the timeline of last year's class is somehow analogous to the timeline of this year's class, when the circumstances are quite different.

Duke cooled on Girard when they saw him play this summer against ACC-caliber athletes.
    Right. Duke didn't start the 2018 recruiting class with two consecutive huge misses on really good 5-star players that (a) we wanted badly and (b) we expected to get. I was willing to write off Antoine as a "can't literally win them all" fluke, but following that up with missing on James definitely sounded some alarms that this recruiting class is going to be different. We'll see how it plays out from here after landing Moore.

I'm always intrigued by the comments about how commits to a school then begin lobbying other recruits to join them...a great unknown, of course, is whether other recruits actually like the committed recruit(s).
    I imagine it could cut both ways..having said that, it would be nice if guys like Stewart, Carey and Hurt happened to like Moore.

WRAL guy Ben Swain musing about Duke recruiting and possibly the end of big-time classes full of one-and-done players. Some good points, but logic... er... wanders throughout the lengthy article.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Kentucky paper asked recruiting experts on Carey Jr. and Duke ended up as the most popular choice.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...219803355.html

Out of Carey Jr., Stewart, Anthony and Hurt I get the feeling Carey Jr. is the most likely to end up at Duke and the other three aren't very likely at all. But that's based on basically nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Kentucky paper asked recruiting experts on Carey Jr. and Duke ended up as the most popular choice.

Out of Carey Jr., Stewart, Anthony and Hurt I get the feeling Carey Jr. is the most likely to end up at Duke and the other three aren't very likely at all. But that's based on basically nothing.
    At least you're consistent with 95% of the internet!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

While we're throwing out baseless speculation, I will go ahead and predict Cole Anthony will be a Blue Devil if Tre Jones is OAD. It's just such a perfect spot for Cole if Duke has a massive hole at PG next year. He would be among the highest usage players in college basketball on a team that plays every single game on national TV and is relentlessly covered by the sports media.

If Tre Jones does not go pro, then our recruiting class could be only 2 guys, but the team is most likely better overall. Tre is a true point guard with better feel for the game, while I think Cole is more of a score first guy who can still get the job done with his elite athleticism. Both guys are considered very good defenders, which is a big plus.

A sophomore Tre is probably the preference for Duke, but Cole is not much of a step down in terms of a backup plan.
    Last edited by kAzE; 10-11-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks for sharing this. I enjoy reading what the other fanbase thinks about a mutual recruit and how they talk about Duke.

UK is in an interesting spot for its frontcourt. Reid Travis is using his last year of eligibility this season in Lexington, so he'll be gone. By all accounts, P.J. Washington and Nick Richards want to go pro sooner rather than later. And Freshman E.J. Montgomery has eyes on a single season in college. It's obviously early, but it is beginning to look like UK is in desperate need of a big man (or 4) and scrambling to put a class together. Calipari has basically offered every Top 25 big man at this point. He recently made a second in-home visit with Top 10 recruit Jaden McDaniels, a power forward from the Seattle area. The Cats have already offered James Wiseman, Carey, Jr., Isaiah Stewart, and Oscar Tschiebwe. The latest "buzz," such as it is, seems to be that Stewart is leaning towards Michigan State. Tshiebwe is slated to commit this weekend with West Virginia in the driver's seat. It wouldn't be that surprising to see Wiseman go to Memphis with his former high school coach, Penny Hardaway.If Carey goes to either Duke or Michigan State, Could UK whiff on its primary targets?

There are still several five- and four-star big men out there. There's zero chance the Wildcats are left without several big men, either through grad transfers and/or the remaining big men. For all the hand wringing on this board about our lack of recruiting success, it would be interesting to see how it might look at UK.

FWIW, I am a big Carey, Jr. fan. He has a nearly complete package of skills and abilities for a frontcourt player. No matter what happens at other schools, I hope to see him in Duke blue next fall.

There are probably 20 different threads in which this would be pertinent, but I figure this thread is the one that has discussed the potential OAD status of Tre Jones and Wendell Moore the most.

ESPN has put out its 2020 mock draft. The good news for Duke... Tre Jones is in it, adding ESPN to the chorus of outlets who think Tre will stay at Duke for at least 2 seasons. The bad news for Duke... ESPN thinks Wendell Moore will be OAD and will be a mid-first rounder in 2020.

The full list of 60 players in the 2020 mock can be found here. Here are some interesting rankings:

2. Cole Anthony
    6. Isaiah Stewart
    16. Matthew Hurt
    20. Wendell Moore Jr.
    22. Vernon Carey
    24. Coby White (UNC)
    31. Tre Jones

I'm intrigued at ESPN having Stewart so much higher than Carey. Stewart is the one with the perimeter skills that the NBA seems to value so highly in big men. Carey is an interior bruiser, which is supposedly not a skill the NBA values any longer. Hmmmm.

By the way, ESPN has 5 international players in the lottery. That would make it one of the strongest international classes in draft history.

-Jason "neither Bolden nor Javin show up in the top 60... not sure that means anything" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There are probably 20 different threads in which this would be pertinent, but I figure this thread is the one that has discussed the potential OAD status of Tre Jones and Wendell Moore the most.

ESPN has put out its 2020 mock draft. The good news for Duke... Tre Jones is in it, adding ESPN to the chorus of outlets who think Tre will stay at Duke for at least 2 seasons. The bad news for Duke... ESPN thinks Wendell Moore will be OAD and will be a mid-first rounder in 2020.

The full list of 60 players in the 2020 mock can be found here. Here are some interesting rankings:

2. Cole Anthony
    6. Isaiah Stewart
    16. Matthew Hurt
    20. Wendell Moore Jr.
    22. Vernon Carey
    24. Coby White (UNC)
    31. Tre Jones

I'm intrigued at ESPN having Stewart so much higher than Carey. Stewart is the one with the perimeter skills that the NBA seems to value so highly in big men. Carey is an interior bruiser, which is supposedly not a skill the NBA values any longer. Hmmmm.

By the way, ESPN has 5 international players in the lottery. That would make it one of the strongest international classes in draft history.

-Jason "neither Bolden nor Javin show up in the top 60... not sure that means anything" Evans
    I thought Carey had the perimeter skills and Stewart was the interior bruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I thought Carey had the perimeter skills and Stewart was the interior bruiser.
    Yes, I stupidly said it backwards. That was why I was so surprised that ESPN had Stewart higher than Carey.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

2. Cole Anthony
    6. Isaiah Stewart
    16. Matthew Hurt
    20. Wendell Moore Jr.
    22. Vernon Carey
    24. Coby White (UNC)
    31. Tre Jones

I am not a ESPN+ susbcriber, so I'm not sure what Givony's reasons for rankings Carey so low, but I think he's definitely intrigued by Stewart's great motor and defensive potential. Stewart is undoubtedly the more mobile player, so I'm not surprised at at that he's ranked higher, but 22 is much lower than I would have guessed for Carey, going by his high school reputation.

Wendell Moore, as I pointed out in the "Welcome to Duke, Wendell" thread, is built like the prototypical modern NBA wing. Wings with length are all the rage in the league, due to the value and versatility they bring to NBA defenses. I would be surprised if Wendell was not in the first round conversation even if he doesn't put up great numbers in his first year at Duke. He will get drafted in the first round on potential, regardless of his NBA readiness.

Cole Anthony has said his list has been cut, but no word on who is on the list yet. https://twitter.com/The_ColeAnthony/...92988271009792

Joe Girard

Committed to Syracuse this evening. May not be a big deal, but it is for Syracuse

I guess he’s no longer coaching the Yankees then...