Page 52 of 204 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I would say it is 50-50 at this point. I'm not sure which way I would bet. I need to actually see him play a few games to have any sense if he has a chance" Evans
    So . . . Pie bet?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    So here's the projected rotation for 2019 if we don't land a single recruit (very unlikely, but worst case scenario):

C: Marques Bolden (maybe)
    PF: Javin DeLaurier (maybe)
    SF: Joey Baker
    SG: Alex O'Connell
    PG: Jordan Goldwire
    6: Jack White
    7: Justin Robinson
    8: Mike Buckmire

If either Marques or Javin goes pro, I think Jack White moves in to the starting lineup. And as much as I love Jack White, that's not gonna be ideal for competing in the ACC. He's a complimentary player.

Also, we'd be very thin at guard, so I would be stunned if we didn't pick up another guard in this class.

Best case scenario is that we pick up Cole Anthony, Wendell Moore, one of the big men, and Boogie Ellis for depth. That team would be pretty competitive.

I'd be relieved to pick up Wendell Moore for sure (we desperately need his defense on the wing), but I think we really need to pick up at least one, but probably both of those guards to be contenders in the ACC. We could probably survive not landing one of the big men (though it would certainly lower the ceiling of the team significantly), but it would be very tough to not get an additional guard for next year's team. That would be a disaster.

We need someone who can reliably create offense at a high level next year, and that player isn't currently on the roster. (I'm assuming Tre Jones goes pro, obviously.)

There hasn't been much positive news about Cole Anthony lately, but I'm still cautiously optimistic that he will realize at some point that there won't be a better situation for him than playing at Duke next year. The entire team would revolve around him, similar to 2012 with Austin Rivers.
    That would be a stretch sweet 16 team. I'm ok with that every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    So . . . Pie bet?
    My wife won't let me make pie bets anymore. She says it is a lose lose because me eating a bunch of pie is bad for my waistline.

Plus,I typically only bet when I am very, very confident of the outcome. Put another way, I am not a fan of roulette. Give me at least a few weeks of the season and I will likely have a better feel for whether Mr. Jones is likely to stay or go.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    That would be a stretch sweet 16 team. I'm ok with that every few years.
    Sweet Sixteen seems like a real reach to me. I could give you a long list of Duke teams with NBA-level talent that didn't advance further than the Sweet Sixteen, some not that far. This team lacks scoring, depth and most importantly, an ACC-level point guard.

This would be the least-talented Duke team since 1982, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Sweet Sixteen seems like a real reach to me. I could give you a long list of Duke teams with NBA-level talent that didn't advance further than the Sweet Sixteen, some not that far. This team lacks scoring, depth and most importantly, an ACC-level point guard.

But it would be loaded with experienced players. Pretty much all those guys (except Baker) would be juniors and seniors. We have seen plenty of teams filled with veterans who are not NBA-level talents make strong runs in the NCAA tourney.

And, to be clear, that is a worst case scenario team where Duke does not get anyone of any value in the 2019 class (including any grad transfers) and loses Tre Jones to the draft. Odds are excellent we will never know what that team would do because there is probably less than a 1% chance that team ends up happening.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

But it would be loaded with experienced players. Pretty much all those guys (except Baker) would be juniors and seniors. We have seen plenty of teams filled with veterans who are not NBA-level talents make strong runs in the NCAA tourney.

And, to be clear, that is a worst case scenario team where Duke does not get anyone of any value in the 2019 class (including any grad transfers) and loses Tre Jones to the draft. Odds are excellent we will never know what that team would do because there is probably less than a 1% chance that team ends up happening.
    We've also seen plenty of teams with juniors and seniors go 13-15. Experience is nice. Talent is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I did say it would be stretch, and I also assumed that Tre Jones would be on the team.

Is Moore considered a 2 or a 3? Most are calling him a wing, and I’ve seen him listed anywhere from 6’4 to 6’6 which is kind of small-ish to be a forward given that he’s not an elite shooter. We’ll have Alex, Joey and Jack next year as similar players. CHeats will have Brandon Robinson and Rechon Black. An honest question would be where he fits in to our lineup and whether he would be forced to play the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I did say it would be stretch, and I also assumed that Tre Jones would be on the team.
    The projected rotation to which I was responding specifically posited Tre Jones going pro and specifically posited signing no one in the class of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Is Moore considered a 2 or a 3? Most are calling him a wing, and I’ve seen him listed anywhere from 6’4 to 6’6 which is kind of small-ish to be a forward given that he’s not an elite shooter. We’ll have Alex, Joey and Jack next year as similar players. CHeats will have Brandon Robinson and Rechon Black. An honest question would be where he fits in to our lineup and whether he would be forced to play the 4.
    I've seen him listed as a small forward just about everywhere. He's known as a tough kid who plays extremely hard and excels on the defensive end of the floor. However, his 6'11" wingspan should allow him to guard multiple positions.

Maybe a Chris Carrawell type of player?

Not sure if this is new news but there is a quote from Carey Jr about wanting to commit during the early period once he’s done with his visits instead of waiting til the spring...

https://balldurham.com/2018/10/06/du...y-earlier/amp/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

12. Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I've seen him listed as a small forward just about everywhere. He's known as a tough kid who plays extremely hard and excels on the defensive end of the floor. However, his 6'11" wingspan should allow him to guard multiple positions.

Maybe a Chris Carrawell type of player?
    Sounds like DeMarcus Nelson.

pretty cool piece on wendell moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2UJLZG7HOA

Worth noting that the 247 Crystal Ball on Moore is 100% Duke including 3 picks made in just the past few days from folks who had been UNC but who have flipped to Duke.

-Jason "I'll make my prediction some time after 7pm tonight" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    pretty cool piece on wendell moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2UJLZG7HOA
    What a great kid! I will be rooting for him no matter where he goes to school.

Worth noting that the 247 Crystal Ball on Moore is 100% Duke including 3 picks made in just the past few days from folks who had been UNC but who have flipped to Duke.

-Jason "I'll make my prediction some time after 7pm tonight" Evans
    If he doesn't announce Duke tonite, they may as well close-up 247 Crystal Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    One of the Wendell Moore pickers made his Duke prediction in December... of 2015!! Wendell had played like a half dozen games of hoops as a high school freshman and this guy claims he knew Wendell would head to Duke. Are you kidding me? That should tell you all you need to know about the Crystal Ball.

-Jason "I'm aware that Wendell grew up a Duke fan with Duke posters all over his walls, but still, how could you know back then that he would end up good enough to earn a Duke scholarship?!?" Evans

-Jason "I'm aware that Wendell grew up a Duke fan with Duke posters all over his walls, but still, how could you know back then that he would end up good enough to earn a Duke scholarship?!?" Evans
    From USA Basketball's profile of Wendell.

As a freshman in 2015-16, started in all 29 games played and averaged 17.9 ppg., 8.6 rpg., 3.3 apg. and 1.8 spg. to help his team to a 22-8 record and a sectional championship.
    That's pretty darn impressive for a Freshman playing at a fairly large high school with 1600+ students. It has been said that Wendell has turned Cox Mill into the best 3A team in North Carolina state history.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    If the folks on 247 Crystal Ball are not correct, they will change their predictions after 7pm just like Jason will make his prediction after 7pm.

One of the Wendell Moore pickers made his Duke prediction in December... of 2015!! Wendell had played like a half dozen games of hoops as a high school freshman and this guy claims he knew Wendell would head to Duke. Are you kidding me? That should tell you all you need to know about the Crystal Ball.

Yeah, but they can change their pick any time, right? And they haven’t.