Page 24 of 204 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I don't know how a team like Duke recruits with the OAD rule change looming. There is a potential scenario in which you lose all of your Freshmen and all of your incoming recruits. That year could be very interesting and could carry over a few years because all the best talent would go straight to the NBA leaving you to rebuild with the second tier guys.
    A couple of points:

(1) Expect the NBA to announce the change more than a year in advance.

(2) The transition year is a problem for the players as well. More may decide to skip the draft in te year when two HS classes are eligible, cushioning the effect on college programs.

Still, lots of uncertainty.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Measurements for the U18 team, courtesy of Andrew Slater on twitter:

What is 16-year-old Earl Timberlake doing here? He's not even a top 20 player in the class of 2020. Everyone else is 2018 or 2019 player (except Musa Jallow, who is already at Ohio St even though he is only 18 years old and reclassified from the class of 2018 to attend tOSU a year early).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What is 16-year-old Earl Timberlake doing here? He's not even a top 20 player in the class of 2020. Everyone else is 2018 or 2019 player (except Musa Jallow, who is already at Ohio St even though he is only 18 years old and reclassified from the class of 2018 to attend tOSU a year early).
    Laettner is giving a lecture to the group and then he's going to stomp(*) on Timberlake's chest.

*lightly

Courtesy of Andrew Slater on twitter, these are more official-looking measurements. Wingspans, verticals, standing reaches, oh my!

Note: many of the heights and weights have changed. For example, Joey Baker is now 6'6" and 208 lbs. More of a wing than a stretch-4.

It clearly says Baker is 6’4.5. However if he borrows the right shoes he can apparently grow anywhere from .5 to 2 inches...

So he went from 6'8 229 to 6'6 207? That's an enormous difference. Meanwhile, Bacot gained an inch and 13 pounds, and Coby White gained 21 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So he went from 6'8 229 to 6'6 207? That's an enormous difference. Meanwhile, Bacot gained an inch and 13 pounds, and Coby White gained 21 pounds.
    Yeah, I would probably just ignore the numbers on the first sheet. I think the second sheet are the official ones and the first sheet were unofficial numbers, possibly sourced from the players' high schools or maybe even self-reported.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, I would probably just ignore the numbers on the first sheet. I think the second sheet are the official ones and the first sheet were unofficial numbers, possibly sourced from the players' high schools or maybe even self-reported.
    If Baker thinks he is 6’8” 229, that’s good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    If Baker thinks he is 6’8” 229, that’s good enough for me!
    As long as he can hit 45% from deep- that’s good enough for me.

I'd like to see Coby White gain another 100 pounds. Then we could call him Sean May.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    It clearly says Baker is 6’4.5. However if he borrows the right shoes he can apparently grow anywhere from .5 to 2 inches...
    He went from 6'8" to 6'4.5" ?!?

That is not "upward" trending. Are we sure he is 17, not 70? Suit him up while he's still over 6'! Call Rick Moranis!

The USA U18 team has cut 15 players to get down to 18 finalists.

The 18 finalists are: Cole Anthony (Archbishop Molloy H.S./Briarwood, N.Y.); Armando Bacot(Trinity Episcopal School/Richmond, Va.); Keion Brooks (North Side H.S./Fort Wayne, Ind.); DJ Carton (Bettendorf H.S./Bettendorf, Iowa); Hunter Dickinson (DeMatha Catholic H.S./Hyattsville, Md.); Ayo Dosunmu (Morgan Park H.S./Chicago, Ill.); Quentin Grimes (College Park H.S./The Woodlands, Texas); Kamaka Hepa (Jefferson H.S./Barrow, Alaska); Matthew Hurt (John Marshall H.S./Rochester, Minn.); Trayce Jackson-Davis (Center Grove H.S./Greenwood, Ind.); Josiah James(Porter-Gaud School/Charleston, S.C.); Jalen Leque (Christ School/Teaneck, N.J.); Tyrese Maxey(South Garland H.S./Dallas, Texas); Justin Moore (DeMatha Catholic H.S./Hyattsville, Md.); Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (Bishop Miege H.S./Shawnee Mission, Kan.); Anton Watson (Gonzaga Prep/Spokane, Wash.); Mark Watts Jr. (Old Redford Academy/Detroit, Mich.); and Coby White(Greenfield H.S./Goldsboro, N.C.).

It's slightly annoying that they don't produce a list of cuts, but piecing it together...

Joey Baker, Bryan Antoine, and Joe Girard were cut.

Glad that Josiah James and Matthew Hurt made it.

Any chance Baker comes to campus in time for the first summer session? I thought I read somewhere that Zion was on campus after opting not to try out for the U18 team.

Zion has been at K academy so he is there. So is Tre Jones and Reddish.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...018560/photo/1
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

MP3: "Hey Zion, I heard Coach finally sold you on Duke by saying that you could be the next Marshall Plumlee."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    MP3: "Hey Zion, I heard Coach finally sold you on Duke by saying that you could be the next Marshall Plumlee."
    Does anyone know where the petition to have Marshall and Bill Walton call a game together might be? I'd like to sign it.

Can you imagine how Walton would have described Marshall throwing off his face shield ?

10 Most Interesting Recruiting Battles

Jonathan Bossi of Rivals checks in this morning with a look at 10 of the most interesting recruiting battles in the Class of 2019. The list features a number of Blue Devils targets, including Vernon Carey, Jr., Cole Anthony, Matthew Hurt, Isaiah Stewart, and Wendell Moore.

The description of each player is particularly interesting. Of Carey, Bossi writes that he is a polished big man that can stretch the floor from 3 and post up inside. Cole Anthony is described as a lead guard that finishes well at the rim, gets others involved, and plays great on-ball defense. Bossi compares Isaiah Stewart, at least physically, to Elton Brand - a somewhat shorter center with long arms and grown man's body. Wendell Moore is described as a high level utility player that is a great defender and jack-of-all-trades type of player.

The description of several of these recruits as above-average defenders is encouraging. Part of that is the physical profile. Vernon Carey is a big dude, about 6'10" with a 7' wingspan. Isaiah Stewart is a little shorter at 6'8" or so but has a 7'4"+ wingspan and is known for rebounding and shot-blocking. Wendell Moore is a Kawahii Leonard-like 6'5" with a 6'11" wingspan that will allow him to effectively guard players around the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jonathan Bossi of Rivals checks in this morning with a look at 10 of the most interesting recruiting battles in the Class of 2019. The list features a number of Blue Devils targets, including Vernon Carey, Jr., Cole Anthony, Matthew Hurt, Isaiah Stewart, and Wendell Moore.

Why is there a question mark regarding Matthew Hurt.

He's from Minnesota.

Don't we get a top-10 recruit from Minnesota every year?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Why is there a question mark regarding Matthew Hurt.

He's from Minnesota.

Don't we get a top-10 recruit from Minnesota every year?
    Only if they played at Apple Valley.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club