Page 189 of 204 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    So, in this scenario, Jones, O'Connell, Goldwire, Baker, Moore, Stanley, Ellis and now Hampton are competing for 120 mpg on the perimeter.

That's 15 mpg in the new 12-player rotation.
    I'd say it's more like Jones and Hampton are getting 30 minutes each; Goldwire, Baker and one of Stanley/Ellis are getting zero minutes; and O'Connell, Moore, and the other of Stanley/Ellis are competing for 60 minutes.

It sounds crazy, but K would do it. We didn't turn down Bagley just because we already had Carter, Javin, Bolden, and Vrank in a system that traditionally plays one big. If Hampton wants to come, we're not turning him down.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'd say it's more like Jones and Hampton are getting 30 minutes each; Goldwire, Baker and one of Stanley/Ellis are getting zero minutes; and O'Connell, Moore, and the other of Stanley/Ellis are competing for 60 minutes.

It sounds crazy, but K would do it. We didn't turn down Bagley just because we already had Carter, Javin, Bolden, and Vrank in a system that traditionally plays one big. If Hampton wants to come, we're not turning him down.
    Well, yeah, if he wants to come.

But that's a pretty substantial if. I think Duke's late and successful recruitment of Stanley is an accurate indicator of Duke's confidence level in that "if."

And, for the record, I was being facetious.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    There was probably more than one prospect in that game. Also, just on the off chance he stays in 2020, why not drop in on a game of his if you're already at the event anyway?

We're no longer in it for Hampton in 2019.

I attended yesterday's Nike EYBL in ATL between RJ Hampton's AAU team and a team from Wisconsin featuring Jalen Johnson and Patrick Baldwin, Jr. Jon Scheyer was an interested spectator. As a fan I'll limit my comments and say that I was very impressed with Jalen Johnson and Patrick Baldwin, Jr(Class of 2021).
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    I attended yesterday's Nike EYBL in ATL between RJ Hampton's AAU team and a team from Wisconsin featuring Jalen Johnson and Patrick Baldwin, Jr. Jon Scheyer was an interested spectator. As a fan I'll limit my comments and say that I was very impressed with Jalen Johnson and Patrick Baldwin, Jr(Class of 2021).
    I know nothing about this particular game, but I am asking out of curiosity, given that you are limiting your comments. Did anyone's on court demeanor stand out to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    I know nothing about this particular game, but I am asking out of curiosity, given that you are limiting your comments. Did anyone's on court demeanor stand out to you?
    I would say that the Wisconsin team(PhenomU)was composed, and that both Jalen Johnson and Patrick Baldwin, Jr. played hard but didn't show a lot of emotion on the court. The Wisconsin's team's coach was more animated than a lot of AAU coaches, even with minimal time left and his team safely ahead. I would be thrilled if Duke were to sign either of these young men(Johnson '20/Baldwin, Jr. '21).

RJ Hampton is a blur on the court and did seem quite ball dominant. He took a number of what I would call questionable shots, but not totally out of place in AAU ball. I personally am very happy with Tre Jones as Duke's starting PG for '19-'20. I wouldn't say RJ's demeanor was unusual during that game. The Texas team(DriveNation)had a guy who looked and played similar to UT's Dylan Osetkowski.

I hope these comments are somewhat helpful, but I'm just a fan in terms of game knowledge.

Sorry, I just realized that these comments belong in the 2020 Recruting thread, but since RJ Hampton appears to be reclassifying to 2019 I initially responded in this(2019)thread.
    Last edited by Spanarkel; 04-29-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    I would say that the Wisconsin team(PhenomU)was composed, and that both Jalen Johnson and Patrick Baldwin, Jr. played hard but didn't show a lot of emotion on the court. The Wisconsin's team's coach was more animated than a lot of AAU coaches, even with minimal time left and his team safely ahead. I would be thrilled if Duke were to sign either of these young men(Johnson '20/Baldwin, Jr. '21).

RJ Hampton is a blur on the court and did seem quite ball dominant. He took a number of what I would call questionable shots, but not totally out of place in AAU ball. I personally am very happy with Tre Jones as Duke's starting PG for '19-'20. I wouldn't say RJ's demeanor was unusual during that game. The Texas team(DriveNation)had a guy who looked and played similar to UT's Dylan Osetkowski.

I hope these comments are somewhat helpful, but I'm just a fan in terms of game knowledge.

Sorry, I just realized that these comments belong in the 2020 Recruting thread, but since RJ Hampton appears to be reclassifying to 2019 I initially responded in this(2019)thread.
    Thanks for the response. From only viewing clips, Hampton seems very vocal and animated. I have seen this mentioned elsewhere also. I was curious about your thoughts in person.

https://out.reddit.com/t3_bj529f?url...pp_name=mweb2x

RJ reclassifies to 2019 and replaces Duke with Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

To be clear, "Tech" means Texas Tech. One tweet I saw basically said Duke had stopped recruiting him.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    To be clear, "Tech" means Texas Tech. One tweet I saw basically said Duke had stopped recruiting him.
    This is not surprising at all. The comments he and his father were making over the weekend at the EYBL strongly suggested that he was going to do this. And Duke is more than set at PG with many options at SG. Oh well! Good luck to the young man at Memphis or wherever he ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    This is not surprising at all. The comments he and his father were making over the weekend at the EYBL strongly suggested that he was going to do this. And Duke is more than set at PG with many options at SG. Oh well! Good luck to the young man at Memphis or wherever he ends up.
    As a Duke fan I’m pleased at the way this has played out. I hope Hampton makes a good choice for himself. He is a dynamite talent. Absolutely sensational.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    As a Duke fan I’m pleased at the way this has played out. I hope Hampton makes a good choice for himself. He is a dynamite talent. Absolutely sensational.
    Same. Very pleased.

I'm glad this didn't repeat the Bagley situation where we signed a reclass late in the cycle. I was vocal about it then and I still believe that was the wrong thing to do. Which is not to say I didn't enjoy Marvin on the team; I did. And I found him to be an immense talent and sensational player and I'm glad he is and always will be a Dukie.

I just think there comes a point in time where you play with the cards in front of you. Context matters, but at this time I would say I'm pleased that we are staying put.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I'd like to see him at Texas Tech. It is nice to see a new consistent face in the top-whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'd like to see him at Texas Tech. It is nice to see a new consistent face in the top-whatever.
    Yes. Also away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Yes. Also away from us.
    Whether he is at TTech, Memphis, or Kentucky he will be far from us. Now, if he picks Kansas then we could face him in the Champion's Classic. But I think he will be one of several recruits to pick Memphis over the next few weeks. Penny gonna be a recruiting stud.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Whether he is at TTech, Memphis, or Kentucky he will be far from us. Now, if he picks Kansas then we could face him in the Champion's Classic. But I think he will be one of several recruits to pick Memphis over the next few weeks. Penny gonna be a recruiting stud.
    He's out-recruiting Calipari. I'll bet the Memphis fans are loving that.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Would not be surprised to see Memphis come out of this with the top recruiting class this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    He's out-recruiting Calipari. I'll bet the Memphis fans are loving that.
    It is amazing from a "watch Cal squirm" perspective that it is his old school doing this to him. Penny's early Memphis juice is 100% connected to James Wiseman who he had an unbelievable inside track with based on being his AAU coach. As the one-and-dones flow through over the next year, it'll be interesting to see how long he can stay hot. I don't doubt Cal's ability to bounce back, but he is being tested as never before. He has often said that there is no way he'll coach to the age K is coaching, but I think the guy loves the juice/action so I'll be interested to see how he adjusts to all of this insane recruiting competition, especially with penalty-free-UNC back in the hunt.

Have y’all read this article? If this is accurate, Sean Miller and the Arizona basketball program are soooo dirty.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...er-month-ayton

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I don't doubt Cal's ability to bounce back, but he is being tested as never before. He has often said that there is no way he'll coach to the age K is coaching, but I think the guy loves the juice/action so I'll be interested to see how he adjusts to all of this insane recruiting competition, especially with penalty-free-UNC back in the hunt.
    Calipari is already 60. He makes it sound like he’s 48 and barely entering the middle of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Have y’all read this article? If this is accurate, Sean Miller and the Arizona basketball program are soooo dirty.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...er-month-ayton
    Not only have we seen it, we are having a discussion of it right here: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...59#post1160259
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?