Page 145 of 204 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Anyone know when Webster inserted "the collection and editing of news for presentation through the media" as the #1 definition of "journalism," and relegated "writing designed for publication in a newspaper or magazine" to the second definition?
    Blame those damn whippersnappers Marconi and Farnsworth for helping invent the media that expanded journalism beyond the written word. (I don’t know who invented the podcast.)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Blame those damn whippersnappers Marconi and Farnsworth for helping invent the media that expanded journalism beyond the written word. (I don’t know who invented the podcast.)
    Marconi? Is he the one that plays the Mamba?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Sigh. And the obituary for the written word shall also be on podcast …

Anyone know when Webster inserted "the collection and editing of news for presentation through the media" as the #1 definition of "journalism," and relegated "writing designed for publication in a newspaper or magazine" to the second definition?

Not grousing at you specifically Jason, but you serve as a great example for my angst. You are one who appreciates the art of the use of the written word, and can convey ideas with clarity. An art that has no place in modern media.

And get off my damn lawn.
    Hang on... I already wrote about what I saw at the McD events earlier in this thread. I was merely noting that I will be providing the audio from my interviews with the players on the podcast. Are you suggesting that, as an alternative, I should transcribe the interviews and put that content here? Why go to that extra effort? It isn't even like a transcribed interview is a superior product to a recorded one as you miss some nuance and inflection in a transcription that you get when listening.

-Jason "sorry for being grouchy..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Watched the first half of the McD AA Game. A few observations.

This game is no fun. There's no buzz in the building as far as I can tell.

Wendell Moore looks pretty good so far. He's shifty, quick on his feet, dribbles with his head up. He made a couple nice slashing cuts, one to find an open man for a layup and another to score at the rim. He also banked in a step-back 3, which was pretty funny. He doesn't look like he's playing with much effort, which is par for the course in this game. He does look really comfortable with the ball in his hands.

Matthew Hurt is wearing a bandana, which is something I've started to see in NBA games. Jimmy Butler has been rocking the Karate Kid look. Anyway, he's very fluid and mobile on his feet. Not that he was trying to play defense, but he actually looked like he was trying to play defense against Cole Anthony and wasn't bad at it. I'm curious to see if there is anything else there. He banked in a step-back mid-range jumper and scored on a runner. Very fluid, very much what you would imagine a modern stretch 4 from a medium-sized midwestern city to be like if you were creating one from scratch.

Trendon Watford started for the West team and looks more like a 3 than a 4 to my eyes. He slashes. He moves well. He took a couple jumpers without much success. If he is a multi-year player, then he's going to be a very good college player in a couple years. The latest trends on the Crystal Ball are pointing towards Memphis.

I really hope Cole Anthony doesn't choose UNC, it would be very hard to root against him. He's a great player and seems like a really nice humble young man.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hang on... I already wrote about what I saw at the McD events earlier in this thread. I was merely noting that I will be providing the audio from my interviews with the players on the podcast. Are you suggesting that, as an alternative, I should transcribe the interviews and put that content here? Why go to that extra effort? It isn't even like a transcribed interview is a superior product to a recorded one as you miss some nuance and inflection in a transcription that you get when listening.

-Jason "sorry for being grouchy..." Evans
    Jason, your info is always appreciated. At least you dont have to crypt in stone for some of us old-timers !
    Thank You for your effort !

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    I really hope Cole Anthony doesn't choose UNC, it would be very hard to root against him. He's a great player and seems like a really nice humble young man.
    I have total confidence that if he goes to UNCheat, I can very easily learn to root against him.

His list of schools is weird. When asked about what is he is looking for, he mentioned surrounding talent and the ability to make a Final Four as a freshman, but he picked 3 schools that missed the tournament this year, a 12 seed, and UNCheat, which seems like the obvious choice, although it will be losing a lot.

Sorry if this was already covered--I gather Vernon Carey, Jr. did not play in the McD game due to an ankle sprain.

Is he expected to play in the Nike Hoops Summit game or shutting it down for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Sorry if this was already covered--I gather Vernon Carey, Jr. did not play in the McD game due to an ankle sprain.

Is he expected to play in the Nike Hoops Summit game or shutting it down for a while?
    "Day to day"

What'd you expect me to post, a vigil?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Carey told me he is hoping to play in the Hoops Summit on April 12th.

This would be a good time to remind everyone of the best players in the McD game a year ago.

Nassir Little was the game MVP with 28 points on 12-17 shooting. He vaulted up the rankings and the NBD Mock drafts, even challenging RJ for the #1 overall pick. A year later, he has shown flashes of greatness for UNC but also many flashes of utter incompetence on D with lots of poor decision-making with the ball. He's now forecast as a late lottery pick, though he has been scoring nicely in the NCAA tourney. He did not make the ACC's all-freshman team.

The second leading scorers, with 26 points each were RJ Barrett and Jordan Brown. RJ shot 10-14 and has lived up to pretty much all expectations. Brown ws 13-19 and pulled down a team leading 8 rebounds. He went to Nevada where he only averaged 10 minutes per game and 3 ppg. After the McD game, Brown was seen as a mid-first round pick. At the moment, I cannot find him in any 2019 or 2020 mock drafts.

Oh, and then there is Zion Williamson. He hurt his hand so his play was somewhat limited but Zion had 8 points on 4-9 shooting with 5 rebounds. He looked ok, but nothing like the player who would become the best college player since Anthony Davis (at least). He was widely projected as a mid-lottery pick.

-Jason " all this is my way of saying that when you look at the all-star games, you should take the results with... " Evans

^ good reminder of how often meaningless these all-star games are, especially the McD. Sometimes you can get a glimpse of a player’s individual talent. But other times it’s just a showcase for guys running up and down the court and making uncontested dunks. I still remember when Jonathan Bender broke Jordan’s scoring record for the game. He went straight to the league as a top-5 pick... and was never heard from again.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    ^ good reminder of how often meaningless these all-star games are, especially the McD. Sometimes you can get a glimpse of a player’s individual talent. But other times it’s just a showcase for guys running up and down the court and making uncontested dunks. I still remember when Jonathan Bender broke Jordan’s scoring record for the game. He went straight to the league as a top-5 pick... and was never heard from again.
    Yep. The only high school "All Star" game I like to watch is the Nike Hoops Summit.

Yeah, never trust stats from a game where cherry-picking is not discouraged

I’ve seen some tweets about good players entering the transfer portal. Any word on how seriously Duke is looking into any of these? Duke has reached out to Kira Lewis, Alabama PG, anyone else?

Lewis is an interesting case, former top-50/five star who played pretty well for Alabama as a freshman and might be granted a waiver to transfer and play immediately since their coach was fired. If Tre leaves as expected, he would definitely fill a need for us.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    I’ve seen some tweets about good players entering the transfer portal. Any word on how seriously Duke is looking into any of these? Duke has reached out to Kira Lewis, Alabama PG, anyone else?
    Lewis would have to sit out a year?

How about these Grad options:

James Bolden, PG, WVU. If healthy, he could a solid senior leader, great defense too

Lewis is an interesting case, former top-50/five star who played pretty well for Alabama as a freshman and might be granted a waiver to transfer and play immediately since their coach was fired. If Tre leaves as expected, he would definitely fill a need for us.
    Right, the question for Lewis is whether or not he'll be eligible next year or the year after. Though, frankly, he might be worthwhile even if he has to sit out a year. He was an extremely young freshman, so getting a year of development as a transfer redshirt wouldn't be the worst thing either.

But obviously as it relates to next year, it's unclear whether he'd be eligible immediately or not (would probably depend on NCAA leniency for a coach being fired).

I still remember when Jonathan Bender broke Jordan’s scoring record for the game. He went straight to the league as a top-5 pick... and was never heard from again.
    Well... I dunno about "never heard from again." Bender was really young (18) when he was drafted and though it took him a couple years, he seemed like he was developing into a fairly competent NBA player by the time he was 20.. that's when his knee got hurt. He was never the same and was out of the league several years later. Still, he earned over $30 mil in his career. I'm not saying he ever would have been an all-star, but it is not unreasonable to think he would have someday become a consistent starter had he not gotten hurt.

-Jason "it is not like Bender was Adam Morrison or Darko or Anthony Bennett" Evans