Page 137 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 4071
    RJ Hampton maybe reclassifying

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Care to elaborate or, ya know, provide some type of support?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Care to elaborate or, ya know, provide some type of support?
    A quick Google search shows this has been discussed publicly for about 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I don’t think it’s legal to get two guys in a row named R.J. Could someone please check on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    A quick Google search shows this has been discussed publicly for about 6 months.
    Yes, but I don't see anything new that would warrant that post. Hampton has said (months ago, as you note) he's "in position" to be able to reclassify, but doesn't intend to do so. Nothing about that appears to have publicly changed unless I missed something recent. A Duke fanboy site said he might reclassify back in January, but that was baseless speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I don’t think it’s legal to get two guys in a row named R.J. Could someone please check on that?
    I was going to link my favorite Onion headline about K finding seven more Plumlees, but apparently it no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes, but I don't see anything new that would warrant that post. Hampton has said (months ago, as you note) he's "in position" to be able to reclassify, but doesn't intend to do so. Nothing about that appears to have publicly changed unless I missed something recent. A Duke fanboy site said he might reclassify back in January, but that was baseless speculation.
    He’s obviously waiting on Tre’s plans for next year. If Tre leaves, he reclassifies and comes to Duke.😀

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    He’s obviously waiting on Tre’s plans for next year. If Tre leaves, he reclassifies and comes to Duke.😀
    Oh that is definitely what was being speculated on that site. Whether or not it has any validity remains to be seen.

Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    It's okay because Barrett is from Canada and Hampton is from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It's okay because Barrett is from Canada and Hampton is from the US.
    So, on is Arr Jay and the other is Arr J-eh?

Arr Jay and Arr Jay-eh.

The Canadian RJ would be too polite to complain.

Wait, we're not talking pirates here...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Is RJ Hampton a true PG? 247 lists him as a combo guard. If Tre leaves and RJ reclassifies, I hope RJ is a good shooter, because that's my second biggest concern next year after a playmaker - not having enough perimeter shooting. Perhaps Joey and AOC take a leap, but perhaps scoring outside of the paint will be an issue next year.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Is RJ Hampton a true PG? 247 lists him as a combo guard. If Tre leaves and RJ reclassifies, I hope RJ is a good shooter, because that's my second biggest concern next year after a playmaker - not having enough perimeter shooting. Perhaps Joey and AOC take a leap, but perhaps scoring outside of the paint will be an issue next year.
    Boogie Ellis is considered a very good outside shooter, perhaps better than very good.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Boogie Ellis is considered a very good outside shooter, perhaps better than very good.
    Duke is going to have across-the-board better shooting next year.

We more or less know what White, O'Connell, and Baker will be next season.

I have a good feeling about Carey, Ellis, and Moore based on their profiles and stats from high school / AAU. I expect Carey will be an above-average shooter as a big man. He won't be J.J. Redick out there, but his success behind the arc and form what I have seen of his shooting form makes him more of a Bagley/Carter-capable shooter. Moore is a very good free throw shooter and has shot the ball well from 3 during his senior high school season, at 40%. And Ellis is known as an elite shooter. The speed of the game and adjustment to college basketball may take him time to show it, but he's got the skillset. At the very least, they can't be any worse than the current crop of freshmen from behind the arc, right?

Just based on that - adding Carey, Ellis, and Moore while subtracting Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson - Duke should be a better 3-point shooting team in 2019-20.

And if Duke add Matthew Hurt, then it could be a very good 3-point shooting team.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Duke is going to have across-the-board better shooting next year.

We more or less know what White, O'Connell, and Baker will be next season.

I have a good feeling about Carey, Ellis, and Moore based on their profiles and stats from high school / AAU. I expect Carey will be an above-average shooter as a big man. He won't be J.J. Redick out there, but his success behind the arc and form what I have seen of his shooting form makes him more of a Bagley/Carter-capable shooter. Moore is a very good free throw shooter and has shot the ball well from 3 during his senior high school season, at 40%. And Ellis is known as an elite shooter. The speed of the game and adjustment to college basketball may take him time to show it, but he's got the skillset. At the very least, they can't be any worse than the current crop of freshmen from behind the arc, right?

Just based on that - adding Carey, Ellis, and Moore while subtracting Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson - Duke should be a better 3-point shooting team in 2019-20.

And if Duke add Matthew Hurt, then it could be a very good 3-point shooting team.
    Yeah, I'd be shocked if we aren't a better shooting team next year. Carey is probably no worse than Barrett as a shooter, especially when you consider that he'll face way less defensive pressure on his shot attempts. And that's our center. We'll likely get more minutes from some combination of Ellis and O'Connell, both of whom are good shooters. In theory, Baker should provide shooting, at least as good a shooter as Reddish (not nearly the prospect, but a shooter). And White should be better than Williamson as a shooter.

The question though is whether or not we'll be a good shooting team. Being better at it than this year's team is... sort of a low bar. And this year's team is surviving in spite of our shooting. I don't think next year's team will be able to do that. We'll HAVE to be a better shooting team, because there is almost no way we'll be as good at the other stuff as this team. Way less team athleticism, way less top-end talent.

Now, I do think we'll probably be at least an okay shooting team. Carey will likely be a plus shooter for a big guy (below average overall, but value from a 5). Ellis/O'Connell should give us a sharpshooter on the floor 40+ minutes next year. Baker is considered a shooter, though we've not really seen it this year. Getting a commitment from Hurt would absolutely help, of course.

I'm much less concerned about shooting as I am about PG. That's the one glaring question I see, along with perhaps some concerns about our athleticism and defensive versatility.

OK, define "better shooting" - able to hit 3s better, or overall efficiency?

Somehow I doubt we'll have an inside player next year as efficient as Zion has been this year...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    OK, define "better shooting" - able to hit 3s better, or overall efficiency?

Somehow I doubt we'll have an inside player next year as efficient as Zion has been this year...

-jk
    I would define “shooting” as percentage of jump shots made, because I don’t consider layups and dunks to be “shooting.” I would use “scoring” if I were to talking about efficiency. This year’s team is highly efficient. They aren’t a good shooting team, but they are a great scoring team.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would define “shooting” as percentage of jump shots made, because I don’t consider layups and dunks to be “shooting.” I would use “scoring” if I were to talking about efficiency. This year’s team is highly efficient. They aren’t a good shooting team, but they are a great scoring team.
    And off we go!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And off we go!

-jk
    Maybe the Board betting group can make a line on who will get the last word on this one. 😂