Page 134 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    **shakes on it**

The bet is official, but it's also a good idea to post it to the pie thread so (a) we can easily find and reference it, and (b) historical record-keeping can be fun.

I'll go ahead and do it.
    Here’s hoping Hurt chooses Duke. Otherwise this will be a somewhat anticlimactic bet. Would love to have Hurt’s skill set on next year’s team.

Since returning from injury Jones could be shooting his way to the 2nd round or back to Duke for a sophomore season. Hope he starts seeing some shots falling with March around the corner.

I’m looking forward to seeing some “Moore-Hurt” allez-oops next year.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I’m looking forward to seeing some “Moore-Hurt” allez-oops next year.
    And seeing post-game interviews from the Hurt Locker?

The discussion about Sean Miller and the Adidas case (which relates to recruiting because it could have an impact on AZ's 2019 recruiting class including stud PG Nico Manion) has been moved to a thread dedicated to that case.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This seems kind of out of the blue. Watford is a 6'9 230 power forward from Alabama, ranked #27 by 247Sports. I have literally never heard of him.

Jake
    ‏Verified account
    @jakeweingarten
    Duke will be in tomorrow for 2019 five-star Trendon Watford, a source told Stockrisers and Prep Hoops. @coreyevans_10 with it first. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

This seems kind of out of the blue. Watford is a 6'9 230 power forward from Alabama, ranked #27 by 247Sports. I have literally never heard of him.

Jake
    ‏Verified account
    @jakeweingarten
    Duke will be in tomorrow for 2019 five-star Trendon Watford, a source told Stockrisers and Prep Hoops. @coreyevans_10 with it first. Something to keep an eye on for sure.
    I guess this means that Zion is going pro...

Jake
    ‏Verified account
    @jakeweingarten
    6'9" 230 lbs used to sound large to me.

Coincidentally there was a player in 1959-60 team named Howard Hurt. Hope the new Hurt comes to Duke.

Jake
    ‏Verified account
    @jakeweingarten
    McDonald's All-American. Strong interest in Alabama, Indiana, Memphis, and LSU. Maybe the interest isn't as strong as it seemed and Duke could swoop in. He appears to be a 2-way player, possibly a tall wing with a developing (read: hasn't shown it in high school) jumper but mostly scores around the basket. He's been Mr. Basketball in Alabama twice already and will probably win it a 3rd time this year.

Duke has been kicking the tires on a few forwards lately, including wing Travis Enaruna and Class of 2020/reclass option Jaemyn Brakefield. Given his national ranking in the mid-to-low 20's, he's a possible multi-year player. I'm not sure he's mutually exclusive with Matthew Hurt. Who knows?

Here's a video of Watford against IMG Academy, one of the top prep high school teams in the nation. This was a couple months again. Watford's Moutain Brook defeated IMG in an upset. IMG features Armando Bacot (UNC), Josh Green (Arizona), Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (Villanova), and Noah Farrakahn (Class of 2020 guard). Watford scored 38 points in the upset and showed a pretty diverse game.

Last edited by DavidBenAkiva; 02-27-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Coincidentally there was a player in 1959-60 team named Howard Hurt. Hope the new Hurt comes to Duke.
    Howard Hurt and Carroll Youngkin played together on that team. Youngkin was our 6'6" center and Hurt was a 6'3" guard. They are the first two Duke players I kept up with in high school. I think both were from or live in NC. GoDuke!

Jake
    ‏Verified account
    @jakeweingarten

Wow... interesting.

Thanks for the info.

Wat ford seems like he could be either a fallback plan for Hurt OR a multi-year option. He is not as skilled as Hurt, but still pretty skilled and versatile offensively. The question about playing time and chafing at the idea of being a backup potentially for multiple years (if we land Hurt and add an elite big in the 2020 class). But if that doesn’t present a problem he would be a great add. And if Hurt doesn’t pick Duke, he would be in the mix to start from day one at the 4.

Interesting development.

^ Could we play Hurt at the 3?

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    ^ Could we play Hurt at the 3?
    Not recommended. Hurt is a stretch big. Ideally a 4. He wouldn’t necessarily be a liability defensively there, but with Carey and Watford not being super-effective defenders, I wouldn’t want to put a big out of position defensively. Plus, we have Wendell Moore, who seems ideal for the college 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Howard Hurt and Carroll Youngkin played together on that team. Youngkin was our 6'6" center and Hurt was a 6'3" guard. They are the first two Duke players I kept up with in high school. I think both were from or live in NC. GoDuke!
    Hurt was from West Virginia, Youngkin from the Triad. Doug Kistler and John Frye were also in that class.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Hurt was from West Virginia, Youngkin from the Triad. Doug Kistler and John Frye were also in that class.
    Howard Hurt settled in NC. Hurt, who played 1958-1961 and won an ACC championship in 1960, became coach at Enloe HS in Raleigh and coached Randy Denton, who starred at Duke, 1968-1971.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    McDonald's All-American. Strong interest in Alabama, Indiana, Memphis, and LSU. Maybe the interest isn't as strong as it seemed and Duke could swoop in. He appears to be a 2-way player, possibly a tall wing with a developing (read: hasn't shown it in high school) jumper but mostly scores around the basket. He's been Mr. Basketball in Alabama twice already and will probably win it a 3rd time this year.
    He seems to be the younger brother of Christian Watford, who had a pretty good career at Indiana (averaging 13 points a game over 4 years), and most notably did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xbbrLBX0rk

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yunk lives in south Florida. He was an “early years” poster here, but his disdain for women’s basketball coverage here drove him away.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As I was trying to find information on some of the players on the 1960 Duke team, I learned that Carroll Youngkin had passed away this month. I also learned that Doug Kistler was killed in a head-on car crash in 1980, I believe . The driver of the car was drunk and ended up spending time in prison for the death of Doug and the passenger in Doug's car. That 1960 team came from no-where to win the first Tourney Championship for the Blue Devils. They were beaten soundly in the regular season by the cheats and Deacons. But coach Bubas installed a zone defense just before the tournament that neither could solve in the tournament. Youngkin and Kistler were instrumental in getting the Blue Devils into the NCAAT with that ACCT win. Back then, only the tournament winner got to play in the big dance. I think Duke came close to reaching the FF but lost to an NY team that kept them from it. That team was probably before your time Jim, but I'm sure you have more information about it than I do. Thanks as always for your trips down memory lane. They are good memories. GoDuke!