Page 132 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    The major concern, though, is his shooting. He's really not a good shooter . . . at this point, isn't he more like a rich man's Aaron Craft, or maybe a less athletic Elfrid Payton, rather than a better defensive version of Tyus Jones? Tyus was a knockdown shooter in college. From 3, and very importantly, from the foul line. He and Quinn's Cook automatic free throw strokes were instrumental in our Championship run in 2015. Tre's shooting splits of 42/26/67 are pretty pedestrian for a PG.

I just don't know many NBA teams who are in great need a PG who can't shoot. PGs have GOT to be able to hit a shot nowadays in the league. It's also far and away the deepest position in the league. Tre also doesn't have the otherworldly athleticism of a guy like Ja Morant or even Tre Duval to make up for the lack of shooting. Thus far, he's been pretty below average as a scorer even in college.

None of this is to say that Tre Jones is bad. He's absolutely an incredible college PG, and one of the biggest reasons we have been so good this year. I just don't know about him in the NBA right now if he doesn't improve the jumper. And my running theory this entire time as to why K hasn't made a move to get a 2019 PG is because he might know that Tre will be back.
    I have been intending to post with this Aaron Craft comparison for a while now (and still might do it later), but this post expresses EXACTLY what I think about Tre Jones and the NBA next year. Or, as the kids say, "+1." I apparently need to spread love around before I can spork you, KAzE.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Are we really that sure Tre Jones is gone? I know this is beating a dead horse, but at this point, I feel better than ever that he's coming back, at least for 1 more year. Obviously, the defense and A/TO ratio are great, although the latter has come down to earth a bit in the past couple of games.

The major concern, though, is his shooting. He's really not a good shooter . . . at this point, isn't he more like a rich man's Aaron Craft, or maybe a less athletic Elfrid Payton, rather than a better defensive version of Tyus Jones? Tyus was a knockdown shooter in college. From 3, and very importantly, from the foul line. He and Quinn's Cook automatic free throw strokes were instrumental in our Championship run in 2015. Tre's shooting splits of 42/26/67 are pretty pedestrian for a PG.

I just don't know many NBA teams who are in great need a PG who can't shoot. PGs have GOT to be able to hit a shot nowadays in the league. It's also far and away the deepest position in the league. Tre also doesn't have the otherworldly athleticism of a guy like Ja Morant or even Tre Duval to make up for the lack of shooting. Thus far, he's been pretty below average as a scorer even in college.

None of this is to say that Tre Jones is bad. He's absolutely an incredible college PG, and one of the biggest reasons we have been so good this year. I just don't know about him in the NBA right now if he doesn't improve the jumper. And my running theory this entire time as to why K hasn't made a move to get a 2019 PG is because he might know that Tre will be back.

Tre Jones is far and away the #1 most important "recruit" in the 2019 class.
    I will admit that I'm getting more nervous about my bet that Tre is OAD.

That said, I was zero nervous before, so on the general spectrum I'm still pretty not nervous.

- Chillin

Not sure if this belongs in the recruiting thread, but...

Does anyone else find it bizarre that nobody but Z, RJ and Cam can consistently score on this team?

I’m blown away that every one of the AMAZING players on this list are having so much trouble scoring (a few are burger boys):
    - Tre
    - Bolden
    - AOC
    - White
    -Javin
    - Goldwire (literally struggles with 10’ jumpers and wide open layups)

Makes me wonder if the microscope this team is under brings more pressure than role players can handle.

I love this team, but we’re either incredibly unlucky shooters or some other set of circumstances make scoring harder than it ever has been for guys who are used to scoring a lot. Worst of all, most looks these guys get are pretty open.

Here’s to hoping that two or three of these guys get some confidence before the tourney, cause if we want an NC this year there will be a game or 2 where we need our bench to get 10 or more buckets!

LGD!

Quote Originally Posted by BoiseDevil View Post
    Not sure if this belongs in the recruiting thread, but...

Does anyone else find it bizarre that nobody but Z, RJ and Cam can consistently score on this team?

I’m blown away that every one of the AMAZING players on this list are having so much trouble scoring (a few are burger boys):
    - Tre
    - Bolden
    - AOC
    - White
    -Javin
    - Goldwire (literally struggles with 10’ jumpers and wide open layups)

Makes me wonder if the microscope this team is under brings more pressure than role players can handle.

I love this team, but we’re either incredibly unlucky shooters or some other set of circumstances make scoring harder than it ever has been for guys who are used to scoring a lot. Worst of all, most looks these guys get are pretty open.

Here’s to hoping that two or three of these guys get some confidence before the tourney, cause if we want an NC this year there will be a game or 2 where we need our bench to get 10 or more buckets!

LGD!
    I am not terribly surprised, as only one of those guys was known as any sort of scorer coming into college (O’Connell). Bolden could probably score more on a spread team that dumped the ball to him on post plays. But with a poor-shooting team that doesn’t prioritize post plays I am not surprised he doesn’t score. White and Goldwire weren’t considered ACC-level recruits, and neither were offensive-minded guys to begin with. So any offense they provide should be considered a bonus. DeLaurier was a raw athlete coming out and has never developed offensive skills. Only O’Connell is remotely surprising, but he is just so skinny that it shouldn’t be shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    White and Goldwire weren’t considered ACC-level recruits, and neither were offensive-minded guys to begin with.
    I would not put White and Goldwire together in any sense. Sure, Goldwire is playing better than Jack the last couple games, but Jack is the far more skilled player. Coach K saw film of him from Australia...and IIRC what K said, he was impressed with his shooting and his "bounce" - I assume meaning hops. When they are both on their normal game, White is far superior. White is clearly not on his normal game.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Jack is the far more skilled player. Coach K saw film of him from Australia...and was impressed with his shooting and his "bounce". White is far superior, but is clearly not on his normal game.
    Yeah, he might not be on his normal game now, but he’s still going to make the All-ACC Third Team (or better) next season. 😏

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, he might not be on his normal game now, but he’s still going to make the All-ACC Third Team (or better) next season. 😏
    Uh, not sure where you're going there...but I would point out that there is a long long way between where he is now, Goldwire's ceiling, and third team.

I would not put White and Goldwire together in any sense. Sure, Goldwire is playing better than Jack the last couple games, but Jack is the far more skilled player. Coach K saw film of him from Australia...and IIRC what K said, he was impressed with his shooting and his "bounce" - I assume meaning hops. When they are both on their normal game, White is far superior. White is clearly not on his normal game.
    I did not suggest them to be equivalent in terms of recruiting or ability. But neither was recruited with the expectation of being an offensive player. Certainly Goldwire even less so than White. But White was never expected to be a scorer at the ACC level either. White was brought in to be a continuity guy, a hard working role player that would help in practice and provide guidance for the younger guys as we got deeper into the one and done machine. I would venture that what we have seen this year was about the best-case scenario for his development: landing as a vet on a super talented young team with a need for glue guys who don’t need to score. White is not an ACC-level offensive player (as can be seen whenever he isn’t allowed to be the distant fifth option offensively. Goldwire is far below that offensively, for sure.

Uh, not sure where you're going there...but I would point out that there is a long long way between where he is now, Goldwire's ceiling, and third team.
    I am beyond shocked that you didn’t get the joke. For shame, HBCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I am beyond shocked that you didn’t get the joke. For shame, HBCK.
    Well I thought it might be a joke....but there's also been some absolute snark around here lately...people making straw arguments. Thus, I said I wasn't sure....

We should definitely add a multi year player, or 2, with the idea they'll contribute in 20/21. Front court is very thin for 20/21. We'll lose Bolden, DeLaurier, White and Carey. Would be nice to have a couple experienced front court kids to go along with whoever we sign for 20/21.

The back court looks good depth wise for 20/21. Goldwire and Alex O will be Seniors. I assume Boogie isn't a OAD. Wendell Moore could be OAD.

We shouldn't go into 19/20 with just 9 scholarship players. I'd like to see 2 front court players signed who will be multi year players... even if we get Matthew Hurt. They don't need to be highly ranked recruits.. just kids that Coach K can envision them contributing down the line. Providing depth. They'd also have to be okay with not playing much in 19/20 since our front court is well stocked.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I am not terribly surprised, as only one of those guys was known as any sort of scorer coming into college (O’Connell). Bolden could probably score more on a spread team that dumped the ball to him on post plays. But with a poor-shooting team that doesn’t prioritize post plays I am not surprised he doesn’t score. White and Goldwire weren’t considered ACC-level recruits, and neither were offensive-minded guys to begin with. So any offense they provide should be considered a bonus. DeLaurier was a raw athlete coming out and has never developed offensive skills. Only O’Connell is remotely surprising, but he is just so skinny that it shouldn’t be shocking.
    O'Connell is skinny even though he is listed as up 10 pounds over last year. One would hope he can get to 195 by next season as perhaps it would improve his confidence that he belongs. I think with him he is missing that basketball IQ that some of our players just have in spades. I am thinking RJ, Zion and Tre for instance. They seem to be thinking I can make the play, you try and stop me. In Alex's case, he seems to be trying to get the ball to someone else as quickly as he can. The kid is listed as 6'6" is quick, long, has good hops and nice form on his shot. If he ran off screens with confidence and was ready to shoot when recieving the ball, he could be hard to stop, like some of the UVA guards. So far it hasn't happened. I think he has potential but its just not being fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    O'Connell is skinny even though he is listed as up 10 pounds over last year. One would hope he can get to 195 by next season as perhaps it would improve his confidence that he belongs. I think with him he is missing that basketball IQ that some of our players just have in spades. I am thinking RJ, Zion and Tre for instance. They seem to be thinking I can make the play, you try and stop me. In Alex's case, he seems to be trying to get the ball to someone else as quickly as he can. The kid is listed as 6'6" is quick, long, has good hops and nice form on his shot. If he ran off screens with confidence and was ready to shoot when recieving the ball, he could be hard to stop, like some of the UVA guards. So far it hasn't happened. I think he has potential but its just not being fulfilled.
    I like this take on Alex's game but the problem is that I've not seen plays or sets for him to come off screens. This team is using a pro-set with RJ, Cam and Zion starting the play that's called. Even our point guard doesn't start many plays. I'm not saying that's incorrect or a bad because our 3 best scorers are the big 3. But I would like to see a play or two called for Alex when he's in the game. GoDuke!

O'Connell?

We're all familiar with the John Wooden axiom, be quick, but don't hurry.

O'Connell hurries. The game is still too fast for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    O'Connell?

We're all familiar with the John Wooden axiom, be quick, but don't hurry.

O'Connell hurries. The game is still too fast for him.
    Thank the Lord, it slowed down for Alex tonight. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thank the Lord, it slowed down for Alex tonight. GoDuke!
    Playing time will do that for some fellas

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I like this take on Alex's game but the problem is that I've not seen plays or sets for him to come off screens. This team is using a pro-set with RJ, Cam and Zion starting the play that's called. Even our point guard doesn't start many plays. I'm not saying that's incorrect or a bad because our 3 best scorers are the big 3. But I would like to see a play or two called for Alex when he's in the game. GoDuke!
    Can’t remember which game but a couple games back Alex ran a curl off a back screen twice. Both were poorly run plays though . On one Tre had to waive to Alex to circle around. It looked like something K called to generate some offense. Haven’t seen it run since.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Can’t remember which game but a couple games back Alex ran a curl off a back screen twice. Both were poorly run plays though . On one Tre had to waive to Alex to circle around. It looked like something K called to generate some offense. Haven’t seen it run since.
    Playing time and not worrying about being yanked for a bad play should help a player's confidence. Alex getting the start might have been what he's needed. One other thing about Alex, he can get off his feet. GoDuke!

Playing time will do that for some fellas

Exactly.

Some very good recruiting news (of a sort). Evan Daniels, who rarely gets it wrong, just made a Crystal Ball pick for Matthew Hurt to Duke: https://247sports.com/User/EvanDaniels/Predictions/

Obvious caveat: that doesn't mean Daniels can't change his pick down the line (as his accuracy on 247 is only scored on his final pick for recruits). (That goes for Daniels' pick of Cole Anthony to UNC, too, of course.)