Page 13 of 204 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    He is from a relatively small town near Albany, not too far from where Greg Koubek grew up. For whatever reason, I always associate Girard's hometown of Glens Falls with former wrestling great and native son Hacksaw Jim Duggan.
    Glens Falls is actually about 55 miles north of Albany and about 40 miles north of Clifton Park, where Koubek is from. (It is completely irrelevant, but I grew up in Burnt Hills, which is one town north of Clifton Park). Glens Falls is quite small (pop. 14,000), but even so is probably the largest place between Saratoga Springs (pop 26,000) about 20 miles to the south, and Plattsburgh (pop 20,000) another 100+ miles to the north up near the Canadian border. There is a lot of empty space (and poverty) in far upstate New York.

The kid may be great, but the high school basketball competition up in that part of the state is less than stellar.

Isn’t Jimmer from Glens Falls?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Maybe, the 3-Star scorer from NY will become the top-ranked player in the class by the time everyone declares for the draft!
    When was the last time a shooting guard was the top-ranked recruit? I dunno, just curious, guessing quite a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    When was the last time a shooting guard was the top-ranked recruit? I dunno, just curious, guessing quite a while back.
    R.J. Barrett is more or less a shooting guard. Or he will be at Duke and in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    There was a lot of Crystal Ball activity from Girard towards Duke before the game last night from Duke insiders. Regardless of what happens with Girard in the rankings, it seems that he is going to be a multi-year player (two at minimum). There's always going to be room on the roster for that.
    50 points per game- that is impressive at any level. Kid can shoot although he has a funny release

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Isn’t Jimmer from Glens Falls?
    Great memory! Jimmer is also from there. His Wiki page says he is the leading scorer in Glens Falls HS history, so I guess that has to be updated. I guess they are good at developing gunners up there. If Girard is even close to the player Jimmer was in college, he would be a great get.

Joey Baker’s Trinity Christian defeated Greenfield and UNC recruit, Coby White, to win the North Carolina Independent School 1A championship. White, by the way, is North Carolina’ all-time high school scoring leader. Hope that doesn’t translate well to the next level.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/h...202045229.html

Well

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    Joey Baker’s Trinity Christian defeated Greenfield and UNC recruit, Coby White, to win the North Carolina Independent School 1A championship. White, by the way, is North Carolina’ all-time high school scoring leader. Hope that doesn’t translate well to the next level.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/h...202045229.html
    If it comes with losing to Duke guys, he’ll fit in well at UNC!

Isaiah Stewart will the in the house Saturday for the UNC game

... down to the 4th page already ...

Were there any recruits at the game last night? For the 2018 class?

I think the second half of last nights game would have been eye poppin for any recruit! Wondering if 2-Chains signed his LOI while hanging out with K last night?!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    ... down to the 4th page already ...

Were there any recruits at the game last night? For the 2018 class?

I think the second half of last nights game would have been eye poppin for any recruit! Wondering if 2-Chains signed his LOI while hanging out with K last night?!
    In addition to Isaiah Stewart, there were three Duke commits (Tre, Cam and Joey) in attendance.

Friendly request to Correct Typo on Front Page. 2019 Recruit's name is Isaiah Stewart, not Elijah.

Coach K and Staff Go Shopping for Big Men

Coach K and Jon Scheyer are out on the recruiting trail.

First up, an in-home visit with Top 10 power forward Matthew Hurt of Minnesota. Hurt is hosting a number of coaches today (April 5) and tomorrow (April 6). He is a highly prized recruit. In addition to Coach K, Hurt and his family will also host Roy Williams on Thursday and John Calipari and Bill Self on Friday. Imagine having those four stroll through your living room over two nights.

On Friday, it's off to see 5-star center Isaiah Stewart. Stewart is a strong and powerful center but a littler undersized at 6'8". Obviously, that will play just fine in the college game. He's hosting Jim Boeheim and Gerry McNamara of Syracuse tonight before Coach K and Jon Scheyer go in-home on Friday.

Coach K and Jon Scheyer are out on the recruiting trail.

First up, an in-home visit with Top 10 power forward Matthew Hurt of Minnesota. Hurt is hosting a number of coaches today (April 5) and tomorrow (April 6). He is a highly prized recruit. In addition to Coach K, Hurt and his family will also host Roy Williams on Thursday and John Calipari and Bill Self on Friday. Imagine having those four stroll through your living room over two nights.

I want Nate James coaching a big man named "Hurt."

Our coaches may have a recruiting advantage in Minnesota, they have spent quite a bit of time there recently. They probably have local accents by now!

Matthew Hurt video

https://youtu.be/DstPjXjJ51c

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Matthew Hurt video

https://youtu.be/DstPjXjJ51c
    His clapping motion reminds me of a T-Rex. Also, that little arm pump before his free throw is an interesting move. The release looks quick and smooth on his jump shots. He kind of reminds me of a more physically mature Ryan Kelly, like a junior version of Kelly. He's not explosive but quick, deceptively fast off of his feet, and can score from anywhere on the court. At least, that's my takeaway from this highlight video.

Coach K and staff are going in-home today with Vernon Carey, Jr., a 6'10" PF rated as among the top 2 or 3 players in the Class of 2019. Carey is a do-it-all forward with size, athleticism, passing, and shooting. He announced via twitter earlier this weekend that he would release his Top 5 teams this week. Carey has hosted in-home visits from Tom Izzo of Michigan State and John Calipari of Kentucky. I expect to Carey's Top 5 will include Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina, and Miami (his father was a standout on the football team for the U).

This seems to be a two-way race between Duke and Michigan State as best I can tell. I wonder if Coach K is trying to get both of Carey, Jr. and Matthew Hurt to see the benefits of playing together should Marques Bolden leave after next season for the NBA Draft. Both are nominally listed as power forwards with Isaiah Stewart as a backup big man (along with Javin DeLaurier). I could see a two-big lineup featuring Hurt and Carey, Jr. with Hurt playing the stretch-4 position while Carey, Jr. is more of the Wendell Carter, Jr. inside presence.

Coach K and staff are going in-home today with Vernon Carey, Jr., a 6'10" PF rated as among the top 2 or 3 players in the Class of 2019. Carey is a do-it-all forward with size, athleticism, passing, and shooting. He announced via twitter earlier this weekend that he would release his Top 5 teams this week. Carey has hosted in-home visits from Tom Izzo of Michigan State and John Calipari of Kentucky. I expect to Carey's Top 5 will include Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina, and Miami (his father was a standout on the football team for the U).

This seems to be a two-way race between Duke and Michigan State as best I can tell. I wonder if Coach K is trying to get both of Carey, Jr. and Matthew Hurt to see the benefits of playing together should Marques Bolden leave after next season for the NBA Draft. Both are nominally listed as power forwards with Isaiah Stewart as a backup big man (along with Javin DeLaurier). I could see a two-big lineup featuring Hurt and Carey, Jr. with Hurt playing the stretch-4 position while Carey, Jr. is more of the Wendell Carter, Jr. inside presence.
    How did I not realize this -- his Dad is Vernon Carey, who played for Miami's dominant 2001 title team. But that also means that a guy who graduated from Miami in 2004 already has a kid who is a top basketball recruit. Wow. Time flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    How did I not realize this -- his Dad is Vernon Carey, who played for Miami's dominant 2001 title team. But that also means that a guy who graduated from Miami in 2004 already has a kid who is a top basketball recruit. Wow. Time flies.
    Do you want to feel really old? LeBron James has a son that is Bar Mitzvah aged and might end up as the best recruit in the Class of 2023.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/leb...u-nba-colleges

LeBron James has a son that is Bar Mitzvah aged and might end up as the best recruit in the Class of 2023.
    Hopefully he can get a full ride so he won't have to go into student debt.