Page 102 of 204 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Espn box score has them with 4 TO each.
    Yep my bad - 12 TOs. Good game by RJ and Cam and another great game from Zion but Tre is the straw that stirs the drink. Or maybe he’s the bottle opener or the tap.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Yep my bad - 12 TOs. Good game by RJ and Cam and another great game from Zion but Tre is the straw that stirs the drink. Or maybe he’s the bottle opener or the tap.
    Isn’t it obvious? He’s the Tre that serves just dessert!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Isn’t it obvious? He’s the Tre that serves just dessert!
    Zion as the imperial stout of Duke MBB with Tre Jones as the New England IPA?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

But JGold will have 2-years of knowledge, experience and pretty good coaching. He does regularly get non-garbage PT in short spurts when Tre is out and he has been steady. So if Ellis is a disaster, JGold will be ready. Even If Ellis is more ready than his predecessors m, I still expect JGold to play more than he did as a sophomore behind Tre.
    I do expect Jordan to be ready when called upon. But we'll have the following perimeter players next season (assuming Tre leaves, which I agree with you is most likely to happen):

Wendell Moore (currently #22 freshman RSCI)
    Boogie Ellis (currently #49 freshman RSCI, but reportedly moving up)
    Jack White (senior -- I'm counting him as a perimeter player because our interior should be full with Vernon Carey, Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier, and hopefully Isaiah Stewart)
    Joey Baker (redshirt freshman)
    Alex O'Connell (junior)
    Jordan Goldwire (junior)

At most five of the above will get regular minutes (and possibly only four). I wouldn't expect Jordan to play ahead of any of the others. In other words, what I've been trying to say is it's not about who's ready to play PG. It's about who's ready to play, period.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    This has just happened on consecutive plays in the 2nd half of the Wake game. Barrett and then Reddish ran the offense. But this is a recruiting thread and not worth arguing. When I think about Moore being a playmaker for the team, it's really about sharing the ballhandling responsibilities with Ellis or Goldwire or (hopefully) Jones.
    I'm not sure how you're defining "running the offense" because Cam Reddish isn't running anything at the moment let alone Duke's offense. I can't recall any play where Cam was the point.

But you're right, not worth hashing out in this thread. I'll drop it.

- Chillin

I believe the metaphor is that he is the conductor that makes the music flow.

For those of you inclined to watch the 247Sports Crystal Ball, there have been a trickle of picks for Isaiah Stewart to... Washington. Most recently, Jerry Meyer made this pick.

If Stewart isn't going to Duke, Washington might be the best place for him. He's ideally suited to play in a zone defense like Mike Hopkins runs at UW. And that would have the added benefit of keeping him away from Syracuse, Michigan State, or Kentucky.

All in all, I don't think this dramatically changes the trajectory for Duke's season should Stewart opt to go elsewhere. There should be plenty of playing time for the trio of seniors, Bolden, DeLaurier, and White. And it would allow Carey, Jr. to play either the forward spot with Bolden or, more often, the center opposite White or DeLaurier. All are excellent options for the frontcourt. I am in the camp of preferring to get as many talented players as possible. Good luck to Stewart whatever he decides to do.

If he goes to UW . . .

he'll disappear in the morass that calls itself the Pac12.

Hopkins has been recruiting Stewart since he was coaching at Syracuse and Stewart was in high school in Rochester. Great get for them if the CB holds true and time to put all the eggs into the Matthew Hurt basket. He's a better piece for Duke's puzzle than Stewart IMO.

With the success Jack White is having at Duke - could there be an influx of Aussies ahead ? Just wondering !

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Hopkins has been recruiting Stewart since he was coaching at Syracuse and Stewart was in high school in Rochester. Great get for them if the CB holds true and time to put all the eggs into the Matthew Hurt basket. He's a better piece for Duke's puzzle than Stewart IMO.
    At this point, if I were Matthew Hurt, I would be kind of worried about competing for minutes with Jack White. If Matthew Hurt shows up next year at Duke, does he start over Jack White? I really don't think he does . . .

He's probably got a much more complete arsenal on offense than Jack, but with apologies to Matthew, there's no way he's tougher or more versatile defensively. Jack can guard at least 3 positions and he hits open shots, so that's a wash. He's become one of the best role players in the country. Dude got 5 blocks last game, and he just keeps exceeding expectations.

That said, I would still love to get Matthew Hurt. Come to Duke and prove me wrong, Matthew
    Last edited by kAzE; 01-09-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    At this point, if I were Matthew Hurt, I would be kind of worried about competing for minutes with Jack White. If Matthew Hurt shows up next year at Duke, does he start over Jack White? I really don't think he does . . .

He's probably got a much more complete arsenal on offense than Jack, but with apologies to Matthew, there's no way he's tougher or more versatile defensively. Jack can guard at least 3 positions and he hits open shots, so that's a wash. He's become one of the best role players in the country. Dude got 5 blocks last game, and he just keeps exceeding expectations.

That said, I would still love to get Matthew Hurt. Come to Duke and prove me wrong, Matthew
    I don't see Jack White and Matthew Hurt as mutually exclusive players at Duke. That is, I think they could see the court at the same time. In fact, that might be preferable for Duke. One of the big knocks on Hurt is that he is not committed to rebounding the ball or doing the dirty work inside. That's what Jack White does very well. So they could compliment each other or at least White could cover some of the deficiencies of Hurt at this stage of his development.

I don't see Jack White and Matthew Hurt as mutually exclusive players at Duke. That is, I think they could see the court at the same time. In fact, that might be preferable for Duke. One of the big knocks on Hurt is that he is not committed to rebounding the ball or doing the dirty work inside. That's what Jack White does very well. So they could compliment each other or at least White could cover some of the deficiencies of Hurt at this stage of his development.
    True, I just see them both as power forwards, and Wendell Moore as a 3. Carey is obviously starting at center, and none of them are 2 guards, so if Hurt commits to Duke, at least one of those guys is coming off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    With the success Jack White is having at Duke - could there be an influx of Aussies ahead ? Just wondering !
    And does one of them play PG?

They would start together at the 3 and 4.

I would be surprised if Hurt didn't start over White at PF. He's too good offensively, and we can use that to spread the floor for Carey. Moreover, depending on our PG situation, we may very well need his ability to create shots too.

That said, I could also see both starting at the two forward spots. Not necessarily optimal, but doable.

Also worth noting, I kind of doubt it winds up mattering, as I don't think Hurt will pick us. But I would be glad to be wrong on that.
    Last edited by CDu; 01-09-2019 at 10:56 AM.

And it would allow Carey, Jr. to play either the forward spot with Bolden or, more often, the center opposite White or DeLaurier. All are excellent options for the frontcourt.
    I really don't think a duo of Carey and Bolden will work together. Just too little lateral mobility defensively. And even offensively, it's not a good pairing.
    Carey is an okay shooter, but he's not going to be a plus player from the perimeter next year. And considering that we may have some question marks in terms of shooters (Moore isn't known as a shooter, and we don't have a PG at the moment), I can't imagine going with two primary bigs who aren't floor spreaders for major stretches.

I think Carey's going to play his minutes at center, and so will Bolden (if he's here). That said, White and DeLaurier can quite easily handle the 40 mpg at PF if Stewart goes elsewhere.

True, I just see them both as power forwards, and Wendell Moore as a 3. Carey is obviously starting at center, and none of them are 2 guards, so if Hurt commits to Duke, at least one of those guys is coming off the bench.
    Why do you support getting IStew upthread but are hesitant about Hurt? Frankly, Hurt would be the better fit.

Overall, I agree that I prefer Jack to be a 4 at Duke but the coaches' pursuit of big men means that he'll probably play the 3 if we land one of our targets.

And Wendell could start alongside Jack, Hurt, and Vernon. As mentioned, he's a very, very skilled player and might even be our de facto PG next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Jack View Post
    he'll disappear in the morass that calls itself the Pac12.
    Is PAC12 still D1?

Pac 12

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is PAC12 still D1?
    Let's see. The league includes Sisters of the Poor, the Home for Unwed Fathers, the Arsonists, and the Protect the Beaver Society. Are you sure the NCAA should guarantee even one spot of the 68 for them?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Zion as the imperial stout of Duke MBB with Tre Jones as the New England IPA?
    It is still early in the saison, but you may be right.