Page 114 of 204 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 4071

Portal

Quote Originally Posted by wobatus View Post
    He seems to be a sought after grad transfer PG. Played for Santa Clara, so not exactly high major. Only 5'11" and wasn't a big time name in high school. Broke his thumb early this year. Arizona, Cincinnati, Nevada, Iowa State , Oregon and USC among the suitors (some heavy hitters). Last year he averaged 17.5 ppg, .372 from 3, 4 assists, 2.3 TOs per game. Playing for a bad team, coached by Herb Sendek. Just tossing the name out there. Probably not what you're looking for but he's about the best transfer available to play immediately as of now, but more guys announce later.
    Has he entered the grad transfer portal? Does such a thing exist? Or maybe it exists and doesn't, simultaneously.

How about Jaylen Fisher? He can score and his a/t ratio looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    How about Jaylen Fisher? He can score and his a/t ratio looks good.
    Not an option for next year as far as I can tell. He'll be a regular transfer and not a grad transfer. So he'll have to sit out next year.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    he's a really smart kid so I wouldn't be surprised. He has a lot of history at UGA though and Crean can recruit.
    I would see a Kessler reclassification as not good for Duke as our frontcourt looks pretty crowded in 2019-20 (Carey, Bolden, White, DeLaurier, possibly Hurt). However, there appear to be big, big minutes available in 2020 should Walker stay in his current class.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I thought Ellis would make a huge leap based on things I've read.
    Not a PG. And even if he did make a huge leap, still likely wouldn't be able to lead a Top 15 team.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Actually, back in September, ESPN ranked Carey #3, Moore #18, and Ellis #40. So none of them moved more than one spot (and Moore actually dropped a spot) over the past 4 or 5 months. So no "Duke bump."
    Thanks for the clarification. I must have been thinking of 247Sport Composite or some other site.

Vernon Carey, Jr. and Wendell Moore named McDonald's All-Americans and will be teammates on the East squad.

Duke target Matthew Hurt was also named a "Burger Boy" and will be on the West squad.

Duke commit Boogie Ellis didn't make the final roster

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Vernon Carey, Jr. and Wendell Moore named McDonald's All-Americans and will be teammates on the East squad.

Duke target Matthew Hurt was also named a "Burger Boy" and will be on the West squad.

Duke commit Boogie Ellis didn't make the final roster
    Boogie took to social media to demonstrate his veiled displeasure at being left off the McD's list. Perhaps it'll give him a productive chip on his shoulder for next season. I'm actually quite surprised that he didn't climb up the recruiting ranks, given what we've heard about his play over the last few months--and given that, equally surprised his name didn't find its way onto the Burger Boy list.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    If Duke is also interested in adding a frontcourt player, I assume that Chase Jeter would be eligible for a grad transfer!!!

I agree with you that there is essentially zero chance of Derryck or Chase transferring back to Duke, but it does bring up an interesting point (interesting to me, at least). The NCAA's grad transfer rule pretty much means that any player who has already transferred once (and sat out a year) should be eligible to transfer a second time for his final season, assuming he stayed on track to graduate in 4 years.

So, I wonder if there has ever been a player who transferred away from a school after his freshman or sophomore year and ended up transferring back as a grad transfer? I suspect the answer is no, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if it happens at some point.
    I'd also find that interesting. While definitely NOT the same, there is an example a hilarious/brutal reunion of sorts when Kevin Stallings tried to block Sheldon Jeter from transferring from Vanderbilt to Pittsburgh while he was HC at Vanderbilt...only to subsequently become the HC of Pittsburgh and Sheldon Jeter. Ooof.

Handsome Tony "steals" one from the Triangle area MBB coaches:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...224513795.html

"Shedrick, the Golden Hawks 6-11 center is heading to the University of Virginia next season after committing to Tony Bennett and the Cavaliers in August. The No. 3 player in the state according to 247sports, Shedrick has seen his stock rise in the rankings. A late bloomer who didn’t start playing basketball full-time until his junior year of high school, Shedrick will head to Charlottesville with realistic expectations of his future."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Boogie took to social media to demonstrate his veiled displeasure at being left off the McD's list. Perhaps it'll give him a productive chip on his shoulder for next season. I'm actually quite surprised that he didn't climb up the recruiting ranks, given what we've heard about his play over the last few months--and given that, equally surprised his name didn't find its way onto the Burger Boy list.

I'd also find that interesting. While definitely NOT the same, there is an example a hilarious/brutal reunion of sorts when Kevin Stallings tried to block Sheldon Jeter from transferring from Vanderbilt to Pittsburgh while he was HC at Vanderbilt...only to subsequently become the HC of Pittsburgh and Sheldon Jeter. Ooof.
    Speaking of chips- the kid from Tenn- Grant Williams apparently was a 3 star recruit from Charlotte who is now being considered as NPOY. Chips on shoulders but not in shoulders is good.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Handsome Tony "steals" one from the Triangle area MBB coaches:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...224513795.html

"Shedrick, the Golden Hawks 6-11 center is heading to the University of Virginia next season after committing to Tony Bennett and the Cavaliers in August. The No. 3 player in the state according to 247sports, Shedrick has seen his stock rise in the rankings. A late bloomer who didn’t start playing basketball full-time until his junior year of high school, Shedrick will head to Charlottesville with realistic expectations of his future."
    Will probably red shirt him- and he will be All ACC his junior year- mark it down.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    If Duke is also interested in adding a frontcourt player, I assume that Chase Jeter would be eligible for a grad transfer!!!

I agree with you that there is essentially zero chance of Derryck or Chase transferring back to Duke, but it does bring up an interesting point (interesting to me, at least). The NCAA's grad transfer rule pretty much means that any player who has already transferred once (and sat out a year) should be eligible to transfer a second time for his final season, assuming he stayed on track to graduate in 4 years.

So, I wonder if there has ever been a player who transferred away from a school after his freshman or sophomore year and ended up transferring back as a grad transfer? I suspect the answer is no, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if it happens at some point.
    Chase told an announcer at an earlier Arizona game that he loved Duke University -- he was on the All-ACC Academic team in 2016 and 2017 -- but didn't like the basketball program. Forget Chase.

Derryck is also unlikely, but he was reportedly pressured to transfer against his personal preferences, so one can imagine some interest on his part, particularly if he is in position to graduate from USC. But, in general, You Can't Go Home Again.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Will probably red shirt him- and he will be All ACC his junior year- mark it down.
    Huff and Shedrick, UVa's twin vanilla towers from NC...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think there would have to be some very clear understanding about the family's role moving forward.

I also suspect that some of that is moot given how the last 3 years have gone for Thornton. I don't know that they are in the position to be so pushy given that he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since leaving. Maybe their expectations have recalibrated accordingly.

Regardless, there would certainly have to be some clarification about the way things ended before and making sure that doesn't happen again.

Still, from a PG's perspective, getting to pass to Vernon Carey seems like a really nice opportunity.
    No way to control a student’s family. This could be another Lavar Ball situation. In other words Duke should stay as far away from this kid as possible. Besides, Thornton was a PG who under the pressure of big games had very iffy handles, could not pass particularly well, and was not a good shooter. Perhaps he has improved considerably in these three areas; I don’t know. But the history of how poorly his time at Duke ended is more than enough reason to stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    No way to control a student’s family. This could be another Lavar Ball situation. In other words Duke should stay as far away from this kid as possible. Besides, Thornton was a PG who under the pressure of big games had very iffy handles, could not pass particularly well, and was not a good shooter. Perhaps he has improved considerably in these three areas; I don’t know. But the history of how poorly his time at Duke ended is more than enough reason to stay away.
    Question -- can anyone recall a recruit transferring away from a school and then transferring back a couple years later? Pretty unprecedented, I think. Unless there starts to be talk about this in legit news circles, I think we can drop it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Paul Biancardi of ESPN has a brief interview with Vernon Carey, Jr. on being named a McDonald's All-American (https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/st...83809749889025).

In spite of being a high-major prospect for years and son of an NFL All-Star, Carey, Jr. has a very humble persona. The kid does not brag.

He'll be on ESPN2 this evening at 8 p.m. Eastern.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Rejean Ellis
    I saw the Espn rankings the other day and thought to myself "How do I not know about Rejean, a top 50 recruit?!"

Then I realized it was Boogie.

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I saw the Espn rankings the other day and thought to myself "How do I not know about Rejean, a top 50 recruit?!"

Maybe name confusion explains the Mickie D snub?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

The kids has options. I think Rejean is a really cool name. It rolls off the tongue. Boogie is also cool. Can't lose either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I remember Thornton differently, particularly Thorton's block of Joel Berry's last second shot to preserve a victory over UNCheat in 2016.