Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1145
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City

    MBB 2019 Recruiting Thread


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Well, we have some experience in grabbing a guy who made an early verbal commitment to UCLA, though we may not want to repeat it.

    Taylor King announced a commitment to UCLA when he was in 8th Grade, but came to Duke, and then on to Villanova, and then kind of lost in a cloud of smoke.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, we have some experience in grabbing a guy who made an early verbal commitment to UCLA, though we may not want to repeat it.

    Taylor King announced a commitment to UCLA when he was in 8th Grade, but came to Duke, and then on to Villanova, and then kind of lost in a cloud of smoke.
    I see what you did there
    2015 DBR Rosterbation Champion

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City

    2019 Basketball Recruiting

    Per Adam Zagoria tweet:

    https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...24632827564033

    Duke has offered Matthew Hurt, of Rochester MN. 6' 9" Sophomore SF/PF

    Also has offers from: UNC, KU, OSU, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon, Florida, and Xavier. +UCLA

    Older brother is a Freshman at Minnesota.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    I was perusing the ESPN rankings/database for 2019 and came across this:

    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...cherokee-parks

    I assume that has to be the Chief's son.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I was perusing the ESPN rankings/database for 2019 and came across this:

    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...cherokee-parks

    I assume that has to be the Chief's son.
    A 6'3" 160# Cherokee? That's a Little Big Man!


    I suppose that it "has to be" the Chief's son. Tells you a lot about Sr's personality that he would continue the naming tradition that his "hippie" parents started with him.

    I wouldn't mind seeing a legacy or two pop up on Duke's roster, but I'm really hoping to see Shelden's and Candace's sons!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Per Adam Zagoria tweet:

    https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...24632827564033

    Duke has offered Matthew Hurt, of Rochester MN. 6' 9" Sophomore SF/PF

    Also has offers from: UNC, KU, OSU, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon, Florida, and Xavier. +UCLA

    Older brother is a Freshman at Minnesota.
    I'd be surprised if he has a UNC offer just yet, despite what Zags says. Roy is usually painfully slow to offer and none of the other sites I follow show an offer to him yet.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NC Raised, DC Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I'd be surprised if he has a UNC offer just yet, despite what Zags says. Roy is usually painfully slow to offer and none of the other sites I follow show an offer to him yet.
    Funny you say that--as soon as I read that list of offers and UNC popped up, I thought, "wow, when is the last time Roy offered a prospect like that before K." That may be oversimplifying things, but it certainly seems that, lately, you can bet on a Roy offer coming within a week of a K offer. Fair or not, that's been my impression over the past few recruiting periods.
    Haters gonna hate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Funny you say that--as soon as I read that list of offers and UNC popped up, I thought, "wow, when is the last time Roy offered a prospect like that before K." That may be oversimplifying things, but it certainly seems that, lately, you can bet on a Roy offer coming within a week of a K offer. Fair or not, that's been my impression over the past few recruiting periods.
    Define few.

    - Chillin

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I suppose that it "has to be" the Chief's son. Tells you a lot about Sr's personality that he would continue the naming tradition that his "hippie" parents started with him.

    I wouldn't mind seeing a legacy or two pop up on Duke's roster, but I'm really hoping to see Shelden's and Candace's sons!
    I looked at some tape of him playing and, well, it is possible he is not the son of our Cherokee Parks.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Cherokee Parks...the Bishop Gorman HS version:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGF4EHL0Qw
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    A 6'3" 160# Cherokee? That's a Little Big Man!


    I suppose that it "has to be" the Chief's son. Tells you a lot about Sr's personality that he would continue the naming tradition that his "hippie" parents started with him.

    I wouldn't mind seeing a legacy or two pop up on Duke's roster, but I'm really hoping to see Shelden's and Candace's sons!

    Well, I've done some research and it appears that Chief has a son named Race.

    But I don't think the 2019 Cherokee Parks is his son. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_LxX8zCHv4


    ** I see Bob already posted this. But Chief does have a son who plays whose name is Race.
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Funny you say that--as soon as I read that list of offers and UNC popped up, I thought, "wow, when is the last time Roy offered a prospect like that before K." That may be oversimplifying things, but it certainly seems that, lately, you can bet on a Roy offer coming within a week of a K offer. Fair or not, that's been my impression over the past few recruiting periods.
    I doubt a coach K, (or any other coach), offer has anything to do with how/who Roy recruits.

    Roy has been watching this kid and UNC is definitely showing interest, but from what I read the kid plans to take his time on any decision and there's a long way to go, so there's really no rush to offer. He knows UNC's interested.

    It's Roy's MO. He likes to take his time, show interest, and let the kids know it, tell them a UNC offer is special, that when you get one it means more than other schools.

    He tells them, and I think he means it, that he likes to get to know them/family somewhat before he extends offers...beyond just because they have talent.

    Even the obvious ones everybody knows you'd want, he is often late to offer. UNC fans love to complain about that tactic on these talented kids, but Roy does it how Roy does it.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I doubt a coach K, (or any other coach), offer has anything to do with how/who Roy recruits.

    Roy has been watching this kid and UNC is definitely showing interest, but from what I read the kid plans to take his time on any decision and there's a long way to go, so there's really no rush to offer. He knows UNC's interested.

    It's Roy's MO. He likes to take his time, show interest, and let the kids know it, tell them a UNC offer is special, that when you get one it means more than other schools.

    He tells them, and I think he means it, that he likes to get to know them/family somewhat before he extends offers...beyond just because they have talent.

    Even the obvious ones everybody knows you'd want, he is often late to offer. UNC fans love to complain about that tactic on these talented kids, but Roy does it how Roy does it.
    You forgot to indicate that the bolded portion is a quote, a statement of opinion, not fact.

  15. #15

    Roy doesn't seem slow to me

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I'd be surprised if he has a UNC offer just yet, despite what Zags says. Roy is usually painfully slow to offer and none of the other sites I follow show an offer to him yet.
    I posted this linked story about Roy's recruiting back in February under the 2016 Recruiting thread.

    "I understand that they have offered at least three sophs. and have a commitment from two. One of the two is a 4 star and the other is a 3 star at this point (at least by 247 Sports.) The other soph. that has not committed is also a 3 star. All three are from my area and this story mentions their names and schools: http://www.independenttribune.com/sp...cd9d7d418.html"

    Just my opinion, but offering three sophomores, none of which are higher than a four star recruit, doesn't seem slow to me.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC

    A long time ago!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I doubt a coach K, (or any other coach), offer has anything to do with how/who Roy recruits.

    Roy has been watching this kid and UNC is definitely showing interest, but from what I read the kid plans to take his time on any decision and there's a long way to go, so there's really no rush to offer. He knows UNC's interested.

    It's Roy's MO. He likes to take his time, show interest, and let the kids know it, tell them a UNC offer is special, that when you get one it means more than other schools.

    He tells them, and I think he means it, that he likes to get to know them/family somewhat before he extends offers...beyond just because they have talent.

    Even the obvious ones everybody knows you'd want, he is often late to offer. UNC fans love to complain about that tactic on these talented kids, but Roy does it how Roy does it.
    Years ago, I thought that an offer from UNC was special, but that has proved to be incorrect. Well, it could mean special if you count a phony education/degree. GoDuke!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    I posted this linked story about Roy's recruiting back in February under the 2016 Recruiting thread.

    "I understand that they have offered at least three sophs. and have a commitment from two. One of the two is a 4 star and the other is a 3 star at this point (at least by 247 Sports.) The other soph. that has not committed is also a 3 star. All three are from my area and this story mentions their names and schools: http://www.independenttribune.com/sp...cd9d7d418.html"

    Just my opinion, but offering three sophomores, none of which are higher than a four star recruit, doesn't seem slow to me.
    The only offer UNC has out now for '19 per my sources is wing Wendell Moore.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Roy is usually painfully slow
    We can all agree on this.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    We can all agree on this.
    Maybe he needs to get some tips from Pitino.

    Don't forget to tip your waitress ... I'll be here all week.
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    The only offer UNC has out now for '19 per my sources is wing Wendell Moore.
    That's all I'm hearing also. But it sure is early ! Maybe by then the NCAA suits will have acted on the Dump.

Similar Threads

  1. MBB 2019 Recruiting Thread
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 03:57 PM
  2. New take on recruiting... USA Basketball style?
    By Kyrie'sToe in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
  3. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
  4. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •