Page 195 of 204 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I am going to start a thread advocating for his jersey in the rafters. Unless he redshirts next year.
    Maybe you should wait until, oh, let's say, maybe February 23...

(I think I remembered the date correctly)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think Carter is a reasonably decent comparison for Carey. Neither wows you athletically, though neither is an anchor like Okafor was either. Both are solid shooters from various spots on the floor. Carey seems like he might have a little more offensive polish than Carter, but probably won't be as good defensively (of course, Carter was really only good defensively when we switched to zone, so who knows?).

Obviously they aren't identical, but Carter is probably the best approximation of the type of player that Carey will be. With the understanding - as you note - that Carter's Duke stats were deflated by playing next to Bagley.
    If Carey's game is so similar to Carter's, why is he expected to go so much later in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    If Carey's game is so similar to Carter's, why is he expected to go so much later in the draft?
    Carter had some eye-popping attributes that I do not expect Carey will be able to replicate. Carter measured out with a 7'4" wingspan at the NBA Draft Combine, which is excellent length and showed that he can play the 5 in the NBA. He also had something close to a 40" vertical, which is nuts. And his body fat percentage was close to 8% or less. He was cut by the end of the season.

Carey is about the same height as Carter but has not measured as long. He has a 7' wingspan but is 6'10" or 6'11". The NBA people would not call that "plus length." It's decent, but it's not elite and it makes you wonder if Carey can even defend other NBA centers. Nikola Jokic, for example, was 6'11" in socks at the combine with a 7'3" wingspan while Joel Embiid was 7'1" with almost a 7'6" wingspan. So Carter slots in between those two and is similar to Al Horford in size and length. It makes him a good candidate to play the modern NBA 5 position since he can just as easily switch on most other NBA forwards on defense.

There are not many NBA centers that are 6'11" with "just" a 7' wingspan. And Carey has been measured at close to 260 pounds. He's a big dude. He has a big frame. His dad was huge as an all-pro NFL offensive tackle. That makes scouts wonder if Carey will be able to shed the pounds and keep them off, playing closer to 250 pounds in a few years when he is getting closer to 30 years old. He'll need to be show that he has the defensive awareness and timing to compensate for his relative lack of length or be quick enough on his feet to defend stretch 4s and even some wings in order to play the PF spot.

I am cautiously optimistic of Carey's defensive abilities as a center in college. He went up against one of the top centers in the class of 2020, N'Faly Dante, on an ESPN2 game a few weeks ago and was clearly outperforming Dante. Dante is a big kid with elite size and length. And Carey handled him on both ends of the floor. I don't thin Carey is going to come in and be a dominant player from day 1, but there is real potential there. A lot more will be asked of Carey in college. I'm excited to see if he can live up to the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I also like Sam Vecenie of The Athletic. He put out his first 2020 Mock Draft in late April.

17. Tre Jones
    19. Wendell Moore
    22. Matthew Hurt
    29. Vernon Carey, Jr.
    So Carey May need to return and work on his length?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    rack.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Another way to increase armspan and standing reach.

figernails-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Another way to increase armspan and standing reach.

figernails-1.jpg
    Antonio Lang should have adopted that look.

/too soon

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Antonio Lang should have adopted that look.

/too soon
    Sporks...well played.

Duke Offers Charles Coleman, 7'0" Center

Duke has extended an offer to recent Wake Forest de-commit Charles Coleman, a 3-star prospect from the Dexter School of Boston, MA. Coleman is a 7-footer and weighs in at a solid 220 pounds.

With the prospect of losing all of its frontcourt players after this next season, it makes a lot of sense to bring in a young center.

Duke has extended an offer to recent Wake Forest de-commit Charles Coleman, a 3-star prospect from the Dexter School of Boston, MA. Coleman is a 7-footer and weighs in at a solid 220 pounds.

With the prospect of losing all of its frontcourt players after this next season, it makes a lot of sense to bring in a young center.
    There's the long-term big people were asking for and that can provide Duke with some (minimal) frontcourt experience in the 20-21 season.

Hopefully he joins The Brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Sporks...well played.
    Doesn’t Mountain have enough sporks already? Geez

Anyone know why he left WF?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Maybe Duke will get its Vrank replacement.

I like Coleman’s game from the videos online. Maybe he mishandled a bunch of passes too but he makes a lot of tough catches look easy. He’s a long, tall, plodding traditional center but seems to have good post fundamentals although very right hand dominant. His game reminds me of a taller Landon Lucas who was high on Duke but fell out of the top 100. Lucas ended up starting as an upper-class-man at Kansas.

His 3-point set shot looks legit too. Not a lot of follow through but he shoots the same way every time at least.

let's get Coleman and one more big for depth purposes beyond 19/20.

Clearly he is from a different line of the Coleman gene pool from Gary Coleman...

This seems like a great move - we need a big man for the following season and I really wouldn't want to go into the next recruiting cycle desperate. A year practicing with Carey, Marques and Javin would be great for him. I assume he has his eyes wide open that barring something really unfortunate, he will likely not really play this year (is he a redshirt candidate?), and we will likely be recruiting over him by signing higher ranked big guys in the future, but will have a chance to contribute later in his career if he works hard.

220 is solid if you're 6'6. If you're seven feet tall, you're Kevin Garnett in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    220 is solid if you're 6'6. If you're seven feet tall, you're Kevin Garnett in high school.
    Video of him looks thicker than 220. Or at least not a string bean. But he's not likely to be a contributor at Duke next year. Kind of lumbers around out there. The "Vrankovic replacement" sounds about right. That being said, I'm all for adding a guy who can at least help with frontcourt continuity from 2020 to 2021. Even if he's not playing, having a kid who can help teach the freshmen the defense will be useful.

Moving the conversation to a more appropriate thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Coleman is ranked in the 300s, Vrank was 203.

Always possible that kids vastly under/over perform their recruiting rankings, but, I mean, the kid isn't gonna play. Bolden and Javin had a hard time gettin on the floor and they were in the top 15 and top 40, respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Rankings, schmankings. He's a 7-footer that shoots threes. He'll eventually play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    With all due respect, not if he's too slow to play defense, he won't.
    Or not if he's a turnover machine, or not if his bball iq is low and he can't execute the schemes properly, etc... Yes, it's not literally impossible for Charles Coleman to never crack the rotation at Duke.

But I'll bet on the 7-footer who can shoot threes to eventually make it. Let's see if we can sign him first so this conversation isn't moot.

Incidentally, I'm not seeing a huge lack of footspeed for his size. I like this prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    barn.jpg