Page 55 of 204 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    For the folks who have had some degree of anxiety about Duke recruiting this year...

Zion Williamson committed on Jan 20th of this year
    RJ Barrett committed on Nov 10th last year
    Cam Reddish committed on Nov 8th
    Joey Baker committed on Oct 29th (he didn't reclassify until several months later)
    Tre Jones committed on Oct 13th

So, at this time last year Duke had exactly zero commits in the truck.

-Jason "I get that the impression is that we aren't as solid with the top guys as we have been in past years... but I think K and staff have earned some trust in terms of finding the pieces we need" Evans
    Now THIS is why we read Jason's posts!!! And to further examine, Zion was absolutely Clemson, or maybe SC...for the late fall and winter....according to the sexperts.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Now THIS is why we read Jason's posts!!! And to further examine, Zion was absolutely Clemson, or maybe SC...for the late fall and winter...according to the sexperts.
    Whoa, I don't want any part of THIS discussion!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Now THIS is why we read Jason's posts!!! And to further examine, Zion was absolutely Clemson, or maybe SC...for the late fall and winter...according to the sexperts.
    Wow, I want all the parts of THIS discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Wow, I want all the parts of THIS discussion!
    I guess it depends...I don't need to hear from Dr. Ruth, but Katie Morgan...hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    For the folks who have had some degree of anxiety about Duke recruiting this year...

Zion Williamson committed on Jan 20th of this year
    RJ Barrett committed on Nov 10th last year
    Cam Reddish committed on Nov 8th
    Joey Baker committed on Oct 29th (he didn't reclassify until several months later)
    Tre Jones committed on Oct 13th

So, at this time last year Duke had exactly zero commits in the truck.

-Jason "I get that the impression is that we aren't as solid with the top guys as we have been in past years... but I think K and staff have earned some trust in terms of finding the pieces we need" Evans
    Without disagreeing with the bolded line, the best date to make this comparison is after the fall signing period in early November. I suspect we'll still be at 1 commitment at that point in time while the 2018 class would've had 3 commits at that point (with Joey, as you noted, reclassifying later).

^ yes, good point. Last year at this time those guys were queuing up; this year we've fanned on several of our presumed commits, e.g. Antoine and James...

Vernon Carey should decide in the next month or so.

Do Stewart and Hurt have any time lines for announcing a decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

Hurt to Duke at this point seems extremely unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ yes, good point. Last year at this time those guys were queuing up; this year we've fanned on several of our presumed commits, e.g. Antoine and James...
    If Duke offers a kid, does that make him a presumed commit? Because, perhaps expectations are the real issue here.

I disagree I think duke has a good shot at hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

Hurt has said he's going to wait to spring. Idk about stewart seems to be a up in the air at this point

Wendell Moore has begun his Twitter dot com campaign to lobby Stewart and Hurt to Duke. Godspeed, young fella.

Does Dr. Ruth have a vote on the Crystal Ball?

The difference between recruiting this year and last year is that Duke was perceived as the clear leader for Barrett, Reddish and Jones long before they made it official.

That isn't the case with any of the top recruits Duke is still going after. Doesn't mean they won't get any of these guys or even all of Stewart, Carey, Hurt, Anthony.

But there are no guarantees, either.

Duke was perceived as the leader for both Antoine and James and lost both of them.

I don't recall Duke losing any strong Duke leans by the end of September 2017.

So, IMO, it's disingenuous to view the two classes as analogous at this point.

Maybe they end up in a similar spot. But they sure are taking a different route.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Does Dr. Ruth have a vote on the Crystal Ball?

The difference between recruiting this year and last year is that Duke was perceived as the clear leader for Barrett, Reddish and Jones long before they made it official.

That isn't the case with any of the top recruits Duke is still going after. Doesn't mean they won't get any of these guys or even all of Stewart, Carey, Hurt, Anthony.

But there are no guarantees, either.

Duke was perceived as the leader for both Antoine and James and lost both of them.

I don't recall Duke losing any strong Duke leans by the end of September 2017.

So, IMO, it's disingenuous to view the two classes as analogous at this point.

Maybe they end up in a similar spot. But they sure are taking a different route.
    What is the upshot of your post, Jim? That the two classes are coming together quite differently? Or that the current situation for the 2019 class is suboptimal at this time, given the misses on Antoine/James? Or neither? Or both?

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    What is the upshot of your post, Jim? That the two classes are coming together quite differently? Or that the current situation for the 2019 class is suboptimal at this time, given the misses on Antoine/James? Or neither? Or both?

- Chillin
    They aren't mutually exclusive. Getting Moore is big and Duke certainly can put together a great class. But this time last year Duke was running out the clock on three top prospects who had largely already made their decisions but just hadn't formalized them yet. That doesn't apply to anyone in the class of 2019. Duke has work to do.

Twitter reports that Joe Girard will announce on Sunday. He still lists Duke among his finalists, even though most assume that ship has sailed.

I was in the gym at Basketball City(NYC) on 7/15/18 with Coach K and Coach Scheyer as they watched Hurt play a Sunday morning game. They had been at Peach Jam in N. Augusta, SC until the evening before so I feel that Coach K and Duke still have a reasonable chance with Hurt. (Coach K and Coach Scheyer left Basketball City immediately after Hurt's game concluded so it was pretty clear who they were there to see.)
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    If Duke offers a kid, does that make him a presumed commit? Because, perhaps expectations are the real issue here.
    as Jim mentions, Duke was certain they had both Antoine and James...

as Jim mentions, Duke was certain they had both Antoine and James...
    No, Jim said that Duke was the "perceived leader" for Antoine and James.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Twitter reports that Joe Girard will announce on Sunday. He still lists Duke among his finalists, even though most assume that ship has sailed.
    Just curious, did Duke lose interest in Girard or was it the other way around?

I'm still somewhat intrigued by the kid. He's a surefire 4-year player who can REALLY shoot it.