Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
Chucktown Dave is not a troll. I've never met him, as far as I know, but we have Low Country living in common so I usually take note of his posts. I think it's interesting to ponder what a "Duke Kid" actually is. Depending on how you feel about Duke it has meant either studious or white and bratty. I'm not sure either is, or was, accurate. Duke is recruiting and landing the best recruits. I don't see a difference between Duke and UNC as far as who they recruit except that Duke is landing way more of the top guys lately. For the OAD guys, academics really doesn't matter these days. Maybe Duke has a different philosophy or possibly K is recruiting same type guys the's always recruited but with better success. Maybe in the past some guys were intimidated by Duke's perceived academic rigor but now they're not. Duke recruited Chris Weber but Jalen Rose believed that Coach K would not have recruited a kid from the inner city like himself. I think Jalen Rose could certainly get a Duke offer today but I'm not sure anything has actually changed except that getting a top PG today means you need to get another one next year.
I actually do see a difference in the recruits Duke and UNC pursue. There is a good bit of overlap because one qualifying criterion is that the kid be a very good basketball player and that means that Duke and UNC are swimming in the same pool. In the past basketball ability was the only criterion that needed to be satisfied at UNC (That may have changed somewhat due to recent NCAA considerations). I think that Duke (K) includes criteria for character and academic ability than UNC does/did not.

This is of course IMHO and you know how the H works.