Page 1 of 150 1231151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting

Well, we have some experience in grabbing a guy who made an early verbal commitment to UCLA, though we may not want to repeat it.

Taylor King announced a commitment to UCLA when he was in 8th Grade, but came to Duke, and then on to Villanova, and then kind of lost in a cloud of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, we have some experience in grabbing a guy who made an early verbal commitment to UCLA, though we may not want to repeat it.

Taylor King announced a commitment to UCLA when he was in 8th Grade, but came to Duke, and then on to Villanova, and then kind of lost in a cloud of smoke.
    I see what you did there

Duke and UNC target Vernon Carey Jr. enjoying status as a No. 1 basketball prosp

Duke and UNC target Vernon Carey Jr. enjoying status as a No. 1 basketball prospect

Saw this today,

When Duke basketball commit R.J. Barrett decided to reclassify from the class of 2019 to the class of 2018, that left a void at the No. 1 recruiting spot.

Barrett held down that position as the top prep basketball player in the country for 2019, but his move meant the top spot was there for the taking. After a successful summer circuit with USA basketball, University School forward Vernon Carey Jr. made the leap. Carey has been locked in at the top spot since September.

The Blue Devils are at the top of Carey’s list of top five schools, which include Florida, Kansas, Kentucky and Miami. North Carolina, UCLA and Michigan State round out his top eight

FWIW, the 247 Crystal Ball on Carey is Duke 54%, Mich St 23%, Miami 23%. All the recent activity has surrounded Duke and Mich St though it is clear that Carey is a ways from making any decisions.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New 2019 Rankings

Rivals recently updated its rankings for the Class of 2019. Here are whey think some notable players sit relative to their peers:

1. Vernon Carey, Jr. (#1 PF)
    4. Cole Anthony (#1 PG)
    5. Matthew Hurt (#3 PF)
    7. Bryan Antoine (#1 SG)
    9. Scottie Lewis (#2 SG)
    14. Armando Bacot (#5 PF)
    24. Wendell Moore (#4 SF)
    27. Joey Baker (#8 PF)
    32. Isaiah Stewart (#11 PF)

Baker is Duke's lone commitment at the moment for the Class of 2019. At this early stage, it appears that Duke sits in a great position with all of these players with the possible exception of Matthew Hurt. For those that are wondering about such things, both Bacot and Hurt turn 18 this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Rivals recently updated its rankings for the Class of 2019. Here are whey think some notable players sit relative to their peers:

1. Vernon Carey, Jr. (#1 PF)
    4. Cole Anthony (#1 PG)
    5. Matthew Hurt (#3 PF)
    7. Bryan Antoine (#1 SG)
    9. Scottie Lewis (#2 SG)
    14. Armando Bacot (#5 PF)
    24. Wendell Moore (#4 SF)
    27. Joey Baker (#8 PF)
    32. Isaiah Stewart (#11 PF)

Baker is Duke's lone commitment at the moment for the Class of 2019. At this early stage, it appears that Duke sits in a great position with all of these players with the possible exception of Matthew Hurt. For those that are wondering about such things, both Bacot and Hurt turn 18 this spring.
    This morning, ESPN updated it's Super 60 for the Class of 2019. Here are the above players:

2. Vernon Carey, Jr. (#1 C)
    5. Matthew Hurt (#2 PF)
    6. Cole Anthony (#1 PG)
    7. Bryan Antoine (#1 SG)
    8. Scottie Lewis (#1 SF)
    13. Isaiah Stewart (#3 PF)
    15. Joey Baker (#4 PF)
    20. Armando Bacot (#5 C)
    22. Wendell Moore (#5 SF)

The Class of 2018 features a ton of wings and guards among the Top 25. This class is big. The Top 5 are all 6'9" or taller and listed as power forwards or centers. Half of the guys ranked between 11 through 20 are also power forwards or centers (although they list Joey Baker as a PF while most have him as a stretch 4 in college or a SF if he makes it to the NBA).

Another note is that they grade the top players in the class - James Wiseman, Vernon Carey, Jr., and others - at 96 out of 100. That's the grade given to the trio of R.J. Barrett, Cameron Reddish, and Zion Williamson in the Class of 2018. In the Class of 2017. Marvin Bagley III has a grade of 98 while Michael Porter, Jr. and DeAndre Ayton had a grade of 97 each. The current crop of freshman in college is pretty special.

Still a lot in flux here since the NBA early entry rule may be changed. That would likely take Carey off the table, at least.

We look good with Anthony, Antoine, Bacot (and, obviously, Baker). We seem to be in pretty good position for Carey. That's a huge recruiting haul, if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Still a lot in flux here since the NBA early entry rule may be changed. That would likely take Carey off the table, at least.

We look good with Anthony, Antoine, Bacot (and, obviously, Baker). We seem to be in pretty good position for Carey. That's a huge recruiting haul, if it happens.
    Yeah, we are in great shape with a lot of these players. I have a working hypothesis of what will happen if one-and-done remains for the Class of 2019 and a different scenario if it goes away.

If one-and-done remains, Duke remains focused on Carey, Jr., Anthony, Antoine, Lewis, Bacot, and Stewart (maybe just one of Bacot and Stewart if Marques Bolden sticks around for all four years). And of course there's Joey Baker, who has already committed. Most of the recruitniks seem to think that Antoine is more likely than Lewis (they are both guards/forwards and high school teammates) to commit to Duke. And Duke has a lot of the momentum for Bacot with a good shot at getting Carey, Jr and Anthony (if Tre Jones goes to the NBA). That class would join upperclassmen of DeLaurier (and maybe Bolden), White, Robinson, O'Connell, and Goldwire. That would be a nice mix of top talent, experienced players, and a couple of guys that will stick around for a few years.

If the NBA abandons one-and-done in favor of a preps-to-pros model with a secondary route of 2 years in college, the top 10 guys like Carey, Jr., Antoine, and Lewis are no longer sure bets. Duke is still in good shape with Bacot, Stewart, Baker, and Moore. Another name or two will emerge as well.

As I noted on the 2018 recruiting thread, I doubt too many players will go directly to the NBA from the Class of 2019. Let's assume the change in draft eligibility is announced this summer, after the 2018 draft. If that's the case, then the 2019 NBA Draft would feature both one-and-done (Barrett, Reddish, Williamson, and maybe Jones) AND the top high school players. That would be quite the talented mix of players. Unless you are a Top 10 player like Vernon Carey, Jr., your chance of going in the first round is suddenly quite low. I imagine the guys in the 11-25 range, like Bacot, Stewat, Baker, and Moore, will all look hard and long at two years in college versus a 2nd round (or not getting drafted at all) opportunity.

Anyway, this is just my hunch based on how things might shake out. I still think Duke is in good shape with key guys on the 3- and 4- year track on the current roster.

As I noted on the 2018 recruiting thread, I doubt too many players will go directly to the NBA from the Class of 2019. Let's assume the change in draft eligibility is announced this summer, after the 2018 draft. If that's the case, then the 2019 NBA Draft would feature both one-and-done (Barrett, Reddish, Williamson, and maybe Jones) AND the top high school players. That would be quite the talented mix of players. Unless you are a Top 10 player like Vernon Carey, Jr., your chance of going in the first round is suddenly quite low. I imagine the guys in the 11-25 range, like Bacot, Stewat, Baker, and Moore, will all look hard and long at two years in college versus a 2nd round (or not getting drafted at all) opportunity.

Anyway, this is just my hunch based on how things might shake out. I still think Duke is in good shape with key guys on the 3- and 4- year track on the current roster.
    I think you are right and it will create a super loaded 2019 draft. There will be lottery-level talent available into the 20s and guys who can be solid NBA contributors will be going throughout the 2nd round. I agree that you will see a number of guys who might be fringe one-and-done players will opt to go to college for 2 years so they can be drafted higher versus going late in the first round or in the 2nd round. You will also see a number of guys who really have little interest in college turning pro even though their chances of being drafted will be small. I suspect the G-League will find itself full of guys who had no interest in college but simply are not mature enough for the NBA yet.

And, one other thing, it will create an extraordinarily weak 2020 draft. The top 2019 freshmen who went to college will not yet be eligible. The 2020 draft will have mediocre soph and a bunch of unproven high schoolers. Guys who are soph or juniors in 2019 who are considering the draft would be wise to stick around jump into that weak 2020 draft class.

-Jason "all of this assumes the NBA changes the rules with the 2019 draft... could happen in 2020 or 2021 or beyond. We've been waiting a while for this!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think you are right and it will create a super loaded 2019 draft. There will be lottery-level talent available into the 20s and guys who can be solid NBA contributors will be going throughout the 2nd round. I agree that you will see a number of guys who might be fringe one-and-done players will opt to go to college for 2 years so they can be drafted higher versus going late in the first round or in the 2nd round. You will also see a number of guys who really have little interest in college turning pro even though their chances of being drafted will be small. I suspect the G-League will find itself full of guys who had no interest in college but simply are not mature enough for the NBA yet.

And, one other thing, it will create an extraordinarily weak 2020 draft. The top 2019 freshmen who went to college will not yet be eligible. The 2020 draft will have mediocre soph and a bunch of unproven high schoolers. Guys who are soph or juniors in 2019 who are considering the draft would be wise to stick around jump into that weak 2020 draft class.

-Jason "all of this assumes the NBA changes the rules with the 2019 draft... could happen in 2020 or 2021 or beyond. We've been waiting a while for this!" Evans
    I wonder if this will have an effect on this year's draft as well. Guys who might think about staying another year to improve their draft statuses (e.g. Bolden/Trent) may want to just go this year despite it being a fairly strong year. Why risk being a 2nd rounder next year when you could be a 2nd rounder this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dchen09 View Post
    I wonder if this will have an effect on this year's draft as well. Guys who might think about staying another year to improve their draft statuses (e.g. Bolden/Trent) may want to just go this year despite it being a fairly strong year. Why risk being a 2nd rounder next year when you could be a 2nd rounder this year.
    Or, you wait until 2020 and get to be a lottery pick that year!!!

This morning, ESPN updated it's Super 60 for the Class of 2019. Here are the above players:

2. Vernon Carey, Jr. (#1 C)
    5. Matthew Hurt (#2 PF)
    6. Cole Anthony (#1 PG)
    7. Bryan Antoine (#1 SG)
    8. Scottie Lewis (#1 SF)
    13. Isaiah Stewart (#3 PF)
    15. Joey Baker (#4 PF)
    20. Armando Bacot (#5 C)
    22. Wendell Moore (#5 SF)

The Class of 2018 features a ton of wings and guards among the Top 25. This class is big. The Top 5 are all 6'9" or taller and listed as power forwards or centers. Half of the guys ranked between 11 through 20 are also power forwards or centers (although they list Joey Baker as a PF while most have him as a stretch 4 in college or a SF if he makes it to the NBA).

Another note is that they grade the top players in the class - James Wiseman, Vernon Carey, Jr., and others - at 96 out of 100. That's the grade given to the trio of R.J. Barrett, Cameron Reddish, and Zion Williamson in the Class of 2018. In the Class of 2017. Marvin Bagley III has a grade of 98 while Michael Porter, Jr. and DeAndre Ayton had a grade of 97 each. The current crop of freshman in college is pretty special.
    And now 247Sports has released their updated rankings for the Class of 2019. Here are the Duke targets:

2. Vernon Carey, Jr. (#1 PF)
    4. Matthew Hurt (#2 PF)
    7. Cole Anthony (#1 CG)
    8. Bryan Antoine (#1 SG)
    9. Scottie Lewis (#2 SF)
    23. Isaiah Stewart (#6 C)
    26. Wendell Moore (#5 SF)
    29. Joey Baker (#6 SF)
    32. Armando Bacot (#10 C)

Has Duke looked into Precious Achiuwa at all?

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    I hope so, based on name value alone.

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I hope so, based on name value alone.
    How could they not?

We are one of 16 teams listed as being involved with him according to 247...

Steadily moving up the rankings, wonder how much effort Duke is putting into his recruitment

Steadily moving up the rankings, wonder how much effort Duke is putting into his recruitment
    Based on how the staff has been recruiting recently, I would guess exactly the appropriate amount.

So the name isn't pronounced "Precious Few" ...