Page 5 of 204 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Chucktown Dave is not a troll. I've never met him, as far as I know, but we have Low Country living in common so I usually take note of his posts. I think it's interesting to ponder what a "Duke Kid" actually is. Depending on how you feel about Duke it has meant either studious or white and bratty. I'm not sure either is, or was, accurate. Duke is recruiting and landing the best recruits. I don't see a difference between Duke and UNC as far as who they recruit except that Duke is landing way more of the top guys lately. For the OAD guys, academics really doesn't matter these days. Maybe Duke has a different philosophy or possibly K is recruiting same type guys the's always recruited but with better success. Maybe in the past some guys were intimidated by Duke's perceived academic rigor but now they're not. Duke recruited Chris Weber but Jalen Rose believed that Coach K would not have recruited a kid from the inner city like himself. I think Jalen Rose could certainly get a Duke offer today but I'm not sure anything has actually changed except that getting a top PG today means you need to get another one next year.
    I actually do see a difference in the recruits Duke and UNC pursue. There is a good bit of overlap because one qualifying criterion is that the kid be a very good basketball player and that means that Duke and UNC are swimming in the same pool. In the past basketball ability was the only criterion that needed to be satisfied at UNC (That may have changed somewhat due to recent NCAA considerations). I think that Duke (K) includes criteria for character and academic ability than UNC does/did not.

This is of course IMHO and you know how the H works.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDave View Post
    What does, " look like a Duke kid ", mean? Not sure what that is.Did Harry Giles, Jason Tatum, Austin Rivers, Justin Winslow, Kyrie Irving, Okafor, Jones , Parker , " look like Duke kids "?
    Oscar-Mike-Golf!!!

Let me tell you a story. When Grant Hill came to visit Duke back in about 1988, he was accompanied by his father Calvin (Yale, NFL All-Pro, etc.). Coach K let Tommy Amaker and Billy King do the campus tour. Calvin was absolutely blown away at how poised and intelligent were these two young men and Duke products.

Poise, intelligence, class. And, if they don't bring it with them, it happens through their experiences at Duke and with Coach K's program. Even one year can make a big difference. Oh, and it didn't start with Coach K.

Hey, man, this is home cooking, but I believe it, and it sure tastes good!

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Although I live in the Rockies, I have a Low Country background and still have beaucoup family there. My parents and all four grandparents were born in Charleston'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Chucktown Dave is not a troll.
    Are you talking about Charleston Dave? Because whether he is a troll or not, he does appear to be a former poster who was banned from the DBR but then snuck in under the radar. We eventually sniffed him out though and he is being rebanned. Won't be seeing him around these parts (in this person or another one) for a while.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Are you talking about Charleston Dave? Because whether he is a troll or not, he does appear to be a former poster who was banned from the DBR but then snuck in under the radar. We eventually sniffed him out though and he is being rebanned. Won't be seeing him around these parts (in this person or another one) for a while.
    This is why I feel it best to ignore such folks when they flare up like, um... Things that flare up.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Interesting. I've never found his post to be overly provocative but then I don't bother get offended by much.

Interesting. I've never found his post to be overly provocative but then I don't bother get offended by much.
    Why do I think of that as a challenge?

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Ooh, I got this one.

Your mother learned ethics under Jan Boxill and your father's term papers were all graded by Debbie Crowder.

Okay, that was just mean. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

"I fart in your general direction"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY

PS Great comeback, Camion

Fight nice children

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Ooh, I got this one.

Your mother learned ethics under Jan Boxill and your father's term papers were all graded by Debbie Crowder.

Okay, that was just mean. I apologize.
    I'm a late to mature ( could happen this year I just know it!) so "your Ma" jokes have been heavily employed in my circle of friends for years so that not bother me at all. Sadly our parents are elderly and some have passed on now so I don't kid that way as much these Days. Insults are male bonding terms of endearment.

It's that time of year again: Who's going to CTC?

Earlier today, 2018 top prospect Zion Williamson announced his plans to take an official visit to Duke during Countdown to Craziness. One of the top forwards for 2019, Matthew Hurt, is also scheduling time in Durham. He will be attending CTC during an official visit before making a pit stop in Chapel Hill on the 21st, according to Evan Daniels of Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    ... pit stop in Chapel Hill ...
    Apt phraseology

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Earlier today, 2018 top prospect Zion Williamson announced his plans to take an official visit to Duke during Countdown to Craziness. One of the top forwards for 2019, Matthew Hurt, is also scheduling time in Durham. He will be attending CTC during an UNofficial visit before making a pit stop in Chapel Hill on the 21st, according to Evan Daniels of Scout.
    FIFY.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    FIFY.
    Thanks. Must have misread that. It did seem odd to me that he would only be on campus for one day as part of an official visit. Also, he's just a junior. This makes a lot more sense.

Per Zags (and others), the Duke staff was in to the Ranney School (NJ) to see 2019 recruits Scottie Lewis and Bryan Antoine yesterday, along with members of Mike White's UF staff.

UK and Louisville have also been in to see them and have offered them, and Rick Pitino is in today to see them. They're major targets for all the top programs in the 2019 class.

According to his own Twitter, Joey Baker has been offered a scholarship. 247 has him ranked #20 in the nation, #1in NC, and the #6 SF in 2019.

A little more on Joey Baker can be found in this interview from Pack Pride: https://247sports.com/college/north-...pack-101600739

Jon Scheyer appears to be taking the lead on this recruitment. There are a lot of reasons why Baker might be a good fit for Duke. He's from a military family, having moved from the Boston area to Fayetteville when he was young. I'm sure Coach K's military background will be appealing and familiar in that regards. He's also got that good mix of inside-outside that Duke covets in their wings. As a rising junior, he's listed at 6'7" and might add a couple of inches still. His AAU team included Dennis Smith and Jalek Felton (incoming freshman at UNC this year) so he has had some high-major talent around him. He could be a great fit for Duke in the 2019 class.

I wonder what the message is to 2019 recruits regarding Coach K. I have to assume parents and recruits are asking the question, and I also assume there are aren't any illusions about Coach K coaching these players as 2023 seniors. Could happen, but obviously it's somewhat less than certain that Coach K will still be there. The staff must have a standard statement by now. Something like, "No retirement plans, but it doesn't matter, because..."

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I wonder what the message is to 2019 recruits regarding Coach K. I have to assume parents and recruits are asking the question, and I also assume there are aren't any illusions about Coach K coaching these players as 2023 seniors. Could happen, but obviously it's somewhat less than certain that Coach K will still be there. The staff must have a standard statement by now. Something like, "No retirement plans, but it doesn't matter, because..."
    Does it matter much with all the one and dones?

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Does it matter much with all the one and dones?
    Yes. At least I think so. People other than the folks on this board have to be looking at the calendar.
    Last edited by Henderson; 10-01-2017 at 03:01 PM.