Page 131 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 4071

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    That's quite a list. One of those things is not like the others, but still, heavy hitters. Out of curiosity, what's up with the ambiguous height on the guy? Either 6'8 or 6'10? Don't they do measurements at BWB?

ETA: I just realized perhaps one is with shoes, the other without?

For the curious yet lazy, Keion Brooks is ranked 23rd in 24/7 Composite (one spot below Wendell Moore). Kahlil Whitney is 7th, Tyrese Maxey is 9th. Matthew Hurt is 8th.
    He's from the EU, so one must be Metric?
    159!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hexi-decimally, that is)

Go Duke!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    That's quite a list. One of those things is not like the others, but still, heavy hitters. Out of curiosity, what's up with the ambiguous height on the guy? Either 6'8 or 6'10? Don't they do measurements at BWB?

ETA: I just realized perhaps one is with shoes, the other without?

Wooden shoes are considerably thicker than basketball shoes.
    Last edited by -jk; 02-19-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Conversion error

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    He's from the EU, so one must be Metric?
    One height is based on European cinder blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    One height is based on European cinder blocks.
    Does he give his weight in stones?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Does he give his weight in stones?
    Tyus or Tre units?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Over the weekend, a number of international prospects gathered in Charlotte for Basketball Without Borders. One of the standouts at the event was Tristan Enaruna, a 6'8" or 6'10" wing or stretch-4 with a blossoming game. Enaruna moved to Utah about a year ago and is a senior in high school this year. He plans on committing to a high-major college team. Duke has shown interest of late, which has left quite an impression on the young man, according to Evan Daniels of 247Sports.

Here is a brief scouting report:
    Interesting . . . I watched the highlight video, and nearly all of the highlights were actually Enaruna making sweet passes for assists. It would appear that he's a pretty decent playmaker for a big kid. If he can also hit 3s (assuming he can, since you described him as a "stretch"), that's a very appealing skill set for a power forward.

He looks pretty skinny though. He'll need to bulk up quite a bit to hang with the big boys in the ACC.

Jaemyn Brakefield Putting the Gas on College Decision?

Here's another one. Duke and the Class of 2020 player are talking about a potential reclass to the Class of 2019, according to the young man and USAToday writer Jason Jordan.

Brakefiled is a 6'8" athletic lefty forward, currently in the Class of 2020 and ranked 28th in the 247 Sports Composite.

Coincidently, Brakefield was in attendance at the game at Louisville on behalf of Chris Mack and the Cardinals. Ouch.

Brakefield indicates that he is "50/50" on the prospects of reclassifying.

Here's another one. Duke and the Class of 2020 player are talking about a potential reclass to the Class of 2019, according to the young man and USAToday writer Jason Jordan.

Brakefiled is a 6'8" athletic lefty forward, currently in the Class of 2020 and ranked 28th in the 247 Sports Composite.

Coincidently, Brakefield was in attendance at the game at Louisville on behalf of Chris Mack and the Cardinals. Ouch.

Brakefield indicates that he is "50/50" on the prospects of reclassifying.
    So does this mean Brakefield has an offer from us?

What's the scholarship situation?

We lose 4 for sure and get back 4 so far.

Tre is probably out which leaves a spot for hurt and brakefield/enaruna or a of reclass.

I guess jrob could lose his scholly if we need a 6th.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    What's the scholarship situation?

We lose 4 for sure and get back 4 so far.

Tre is probably out which leaves a spot for hurt and brakefield/enaruna or a of reclass.

I guess jrob could lose his scholly if we need a 6th.

Thoughts?
    We are more than fine in terms of available scholarships. We stand to lose Vrank and the four freshmen, and we aren’t at the scholarship limit as is.

The following recruited scholarship players return:
    Baker
    DeLaurier
    White
    Goldwire
    O’Connell
    Bolden (maybe)

We add the following freshmen:
    Carey
    Moore
    Ellis

That is 9 recruited scholarship players. Robinson wasn’t recruited and came understanding he only gets a scholarship if there are not 13 recruited players on the roster. But there appear to still be 4 open slots available unless something weird happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We are more than fine in terms of available scholarships. We stand to lose Vrank and the four freshmen, and we aren’t at the scholarship limit as is.

The following recruited scholarship players return:
    Baker
    DeLaurier
    White
    Goldwire
    O’Connell
    Bolden (maybe)

We add the following freshmen:
    Carey
    Moore
    Ellis

That is 9 recruited scholarship players. Robinson wasn’t recruited and came understanding he only gets a scholarship if there are not 13 recruited players on the roster. But there appear to still be 4 open slots available unless something weird happens.
    At this point, my ideal situation is getting Matthew Hurt with all the seniors returning and adding Enaruna and Brakefield for depth and an expanded role once Bolden, DeLaurier, and White graduate. And Duke has the available scholarships to do that.

I do not like the idea of having 3-4 freshmen with a grad transfer as the frontcourt in 2020-21 and would much prefer a couple of players with experience and years in the Duke weight room.

At this point, my ideal situation is getting Matthew Hurt with all the seniors returning and adding Enaruna and Brakefield for depth and an expanded role once Bolden, DeLaurier, and White graduate. And Duke has the available scholarships to do that.

I do not like the idea of having 3-4 freshmen with a grad transfer as the frontcourt in 2020-21 and would much prefer a couple of players with experience and years in the Duke weight room.
    I can’t imagine we are looking at grad transfers for the frontcourt.

My biggest concern is, and has been, PG. We have plenty of bodies in the frontcourt. I would love to get Hurt since he is a great pairing with Carey and would give us another scorer.. But right now the glaring hole is PG.

Ah, I misread your post. You were talking about the NEXT year. Yeah, I'd be fine with adding an extra multi-year guy for the frontcourt for depth and to guide the following year's (2021 season's) crop of freshmen. I wouldn't mind having a grad transfer big man for that year either.

So for recruits this year, I'd like Hurt, an extra big, and a PG from either the grad transfer or a shocking top-tier recruit (either reclass or surprise from this class).
    Last edited by CDu; 02-20-2019 at 09:57 AM.

In non-Duke news, Kentucky offered 2020 PF Isaiah Todd, a 6'10" PF playing at Trinity Academy of Raleigh, by way of Richmond, Virginia. Todd is an explosive athlete, a faceup forward that can score well from a jumper or at the rim. I would normally put this in the 2020 Recruiting thread, but word is that Todd is considering reclassifying to 2019. This, along with the news of Keion Brooks strongly considering Kentucky, makes me think that Matthew Hurt is not going to end up in Lexington.

I can’t imagine we are looking at grad transfers for the frontcourt.

My biggest concern is, and has been, PG. We have plenty of bodies in the frontcourt. I would love to get Hurt since he is a great pairing with Carey and would give us another scorer.. But right now the glaring hole is PG.
    Are we really that sure Tre Jones is gone? I know this is beating a dead horse, but at this point, I feel better than ever that he's coming back, at least for 1 more year. Obviously, the defense and A/TO ratio are great, although the latter has come down to earth a bit in the past couple of games.

The major concern, though, is his shooting. He's really not a good shooter . . . at this point, isn't he more like a rich man's Aaron Craft, or maybe a less athletic Elfrid Payton, rather than a better defensive version of Tyus Jones? Tyus was a knockdown shooter in college. From 3, and very importantly, from the foul line. He and Quinn's Cook automatic free throw strokes were instrumental in our Championship run in 2015. Tre's shooting splits of 42/26/67 are pretty pedestrian for a PG.

I just don't know many NBA teams who are in great need a PG who can't shoot. PGs have GOT to be able to hit a shot nowadays in the league. It's also far and away the deepest position in the league. Tre also doesn't have the otherworldly athleticism of a guy like Ja Morant or even Tre Duval to make up for the lack of shooting. Thus far, he's been pretty below average as a scorer even in college.

None of this is to say that Tre Jones is bad. He's absolutely an incredible college PG, and one of the biggest reasons we have been so good this year. I just don't know about him in the NBA right now if he doesn't improve the jumper. And my running theory this entire time as to why K hasn't made a move to get a 2019 PG is because he might know that Tre will be back.

Tre Jones is far and away the #1 most important "recruit" in the 2019 class.
    Last edited by kAzE; 02-22-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Are we really that sure Tre Jones is gone? I know this is beating a dead horse, but at this point, I feel better than ever that he's coming back, at least for 1 more year. Obviously, the defense and A/TO ratio are great, although the latter has come down to earth a bit in the past couple of games.
    I would generally be of the assumption that a top-10-ish recruit will be gone. Even if their play hasn't suggested they should go. I mean, wouldn't Trevon Duval have been better off coming back? How about Gary Trent Jr?

Could Jones come back? Sure. There have certainly been more highly-rated players that have come back, even in very recent years. But I'd lean much more toward the probability that he's gone.

But, yes, getting a second year of Jones would be the absolute best-case scenario for the Duke 2019-20 season. I can't imagine a grad transfer or reclass option at PG providing anywhere near the value that Jones would provide.

The major concern, though, is his shooting. He's really not a good shooter . . . at this point, isn't he more like a rich man's Aaron Craft, rather than a better defensive version of Tyus Jones? Tyus was a knockdown shooter in college. From 3, and very importantly, from the foul line. He and Quinn's Cook automatic free throw strokes were instrumental in our Championship run in 2015. Tre's shooting splits of 42/26/67 are pretty pedestrian for a PG.

I just don't know many NBA teams who are in great need a PG who can't shoot. PGs have GOT to be able to hit a shot nowadays in the league. It's also far and away the deepest position in the league. Tre also doesn't have the otherworldly athleticism of a guy like Ja Morant or even Tre Duval to make up for the lack of shooting. Thu far, he's been pretty below average as a scorer even in college.

None of this is to say that Tre Jones is bad. He's absolutely an incredible college PG, and one of the biggest reasons we have been so good this year. I just don't know about him in the NBA right now if he doesn't improve the jumper. And my running theory this entire time as to why K hasn't made a move to get a 2019 PG is because he might know that Tre will be back.

I would generally be of the assumption that a top-10-ish recruit will be gone. Even if their play hasn't suggested they should go. I mean, wouldn't Trevon Duval have been better off coming back? How about Gary Trent Jr?

Could Jones come back? Sure. There have certainly been more highly-rated players that have come back, even in very recent years. But I'd lean much more toward the probability that he's gone.

But, yes, getting a second year of Jones would be the absolute best-case scenario for the Duke 2019-20 season. I can't imagine a grad transfer or reclass option at PG providing anywhere near the value that Jones would provide.
    I am somewhat hopeful that Tre returns. I note the absence of a frantic effort to find a point guard for next year as some indication that the Duke staff believes he will return.

Other factors, which I cited yesterday: If someone wants to coach college (and I don't know that Tre does, but he may), a degree is necessary and I am not aware of a one-and-done player earning a degree. Two years plus three summers make a degree possible with a reasonable amount of extra work. In addition, the Jones family may not have the financial pressures that some other families face. Furthermore, I don't see a dad or uncle pushing Tre to go to the NBA.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Yep, all great points. Those guys were known to have an eye on the NBA as soon as they got on campus though. I think the difference in my mind is that Tre is a lifelong Duke fan who idolizes Coach K. And the Jones family obviously has a great affinity for the university. Not that speculating about it at all helps in any way, I'm just reiterating on my point that the return of Tre Jones could be the reason why there's been no movement on a PG for next year.

And without a doubt, the return of Tre to that roster instantly makes us a high level Final Four contender.

The major concern, though, is his shooting. He's really not a good shooter . . . at this point, isn't he more like a rich man's Aaron Craft, or maybe a less athletic Elfrid Payton, rather than a better defensive version of Tyus Jones? Tyus was a knockdown shooter in college. From 3, and very importantly, from the foul line. He and Quinn's Cook automatic free throw strokes were instrumental in our Championship run in 2015. Tre's shooting splits of 42/26/67 are pretty pedestrian for a PG.

I just don't know many NBA teams who are in great need a PG who can't shoot. PGs have GOT to be able to hit a shot nowadays in the league. It's also far and away the deepest position in the league. Tre also doesn't have the otherworldly athleticism of a guy like Ja Morant or even Tre Duval to make up for the lack of shooting. Thus far, he's been pretty below average as a scorer even in college.

I really like the Aaron Craft comparison, but freshman Tre would be like a poor man’s senior Craft, wouldn’t he? Craft was an excellent defender, much like Tre, handled the ball well, much like Tre, but I thought Craft had become a decent shooter by his senior year?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I really like the Aaron Craft comparison, but freshman Tre would be like a poor man’s senior Craft, wouldn’t he? Craft was an excellent defender, much like Tre, handled the ball well, much like Tre, but I thought Craft had become a decent shooter by his senior year?
    He actually got worse over time

Career average of 33%, and he was also 6'2", and not a spectacular athlete, much like Tre. I agree that a senior Aaron craft is probably a slightly better college player than 19 year old Tre Jones, but I do believe Tre will ultimately be a good NBA player. However, he MUST improve his shooting to stay in the league. That's not negotiable.
    Last edited by kAzE; 02-22-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Yep, all great points. Those guys were known to have an eye on the NBA as soon as they got on campus though. I think the difference in my mind is that Tre is a lifelong Duke fan who idolizes Coach K. And the Jones family obviously has a great affinity for the university. Not that speculating about it at all helps in any way, I'm just reiterating on my point that the return of Tre Jones could be the reason why there's been no movement on a PG for next year.

And without a doubt, the return of Tre to that roster instantly makes us a high level Final Four contender.
    Totally agree. I would be thrilled if Jones returned. And the lack of a "full-court press on a PG" now could mean that the staff thinks he'll return. It could also just be an acknowledgement that we aren't in a good spot with any of the high school senior PGs that would provide value. Or that we have a potential reclass option (Hampton, perhaps?) that we'd feel strongly about pursuing once Jones' decision is final. We just don't know at this point.

I just think the better bet at this point is that Jones is going pro.