Page 103 of 204 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 4071
    I wonder if the staff feels okay going into next season with Boogie and Goldwire the only options at PG. Boogie is more of a scoring guard. Goldwire has been buried on the bench and doesn't look to me like starter material. perhaps a grad transfer?

front court looks deep even without Stewart and Hurt. 19/20 could be a bridge year if we strike out on Stewart and Hurt. Would set up 2020 as a huge recruiting class as DeLaurier, White, Bolden and Carey would be moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    For those of you inclined to watch the 247Sports Crystal Ball, there have been a trickle of picks for Isaiah Stewart to... Washington. Most recently, Jerry Meyer made this pick.

If Stewart isn't going to Duke, Washington might be the best place for him. He's ideally suited to play in a zone defense like Mike Hopkins runs at UW. And that would have the added benefit of keeping him away from Syracuse, Michigan State, or Kentucky.

All in all, I don't think this dramatically changes the trajectory for Duke's season should Stewart opt to go elsewhere. There should be plenty of playing time for the trio of seniors, Bolden, DeLaurier, and White. And it would allow Carey, Jr. to play either the forward spot with Bolden or, more often, the center opposite White or DeLaurier. All are excellent options for the frontcourt. I am in the camp of preferring to get as many talented players as possible. Good luck to Stewart whatever he decides to do.

I don't get this. Everything I've read over the last several weeks either said or suggested he was coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I don't get this. Everything I've read over the last several weeks either said or suggested he was coming here.
    He can still come to DBR but enroll at Washington. This is a free country, after all.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I mean, there are no locks in recruiting.

I don't think Duke would trade places with anyone else heading down the stretch, though.

In any case, as mentioned previously, this is a low-stress recruitment since the frontcourt already looks great next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Why do you support getting IStew upthread but are hesitant about Hurt?
    That's not what I said at all. I said I want Hurt, and I'm worried he could choose another school because Jack is going to play a lot of minutes at the 4, and although they have different skill sets, they are both essentially stretch forwards on offense.

Stewart shouldn't be worried about playing time regardless of where he goes, that dude is a top 5 pick.

I'd love to get both Hurt and Stewart.

Minor correction

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Jack View Post
    Let's see. The league includes Sisters of the Poor, the Home for Unwed Fathers, the Arsonists, and the Protect the Beaver Society. Are you sure the NCAA should guarantee even one spot of the 68 for them?
    You left out the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopuses (or Octopi, as some call them).

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You left out the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopuses (or Octopi, as some call them).
    Pretty sure that the PNW Tree Octopi evolved into the Sonoran Decapods in 1978, and since 2011 have been known as the Double Black Diamond Siamese Ants.

Global warming.

Good news on an already committed player Wendell Moore. It looks like Wendell has become a good 3-pt shooter, as through 14 games this season, he's shooting 41% on over 5 attempts/gm. He's always had the free throw stroke so this is a very believable improvement to me. The shot also just looks really nice on his recent film on youtube. He's balanced with a good stroke and follow-through and produces a ball that has good arc, speed, and softness as it falls through the net.

Good news on an already committed player Wendell Moore. It looks like Wendell has become a good 3-pt shooter, as through 14 games this season, he's shooting 41% on over 5 attempts/gm. He's always had the free throw stroke so this is a very believable improvement to me. The shot also just looks really nice on his recent film on youtube. He's balanced with a good stroke and follow-through and produces a ball that has good arc, speed, and softness as it falls through the net.

If he shoots 40% next year, I think we can assume he'll be an NBA player in 2020-2021.

Despite his lower ranking (#22 RSCI, #24 247-Composite), I think Wendell won't be far behind (if at all) the freshman impact of guys like Winslow, Ingram, and Tatum.

Despite his lower ranking (#22 RSCI, #24 247-Composite), I think Wendell won't be far behind (if at all) the freshman impact of guys like Winslow, Ingram, and Tatum.
    Despite his current ranking, if he keeps shooting 3s at this rate, his ranking will probably be top 15 by the end of the season, I’d imagine

I think it depends on how advanced his complete offensive game is. I haven't watched enough Wendell Moore tape to form an opinion, but all 3 of those guys you mentioned are legit ball handlers who can play the point guard position in the NBA.

Tatum literally was the best player on Duke's team in the last month of the season and carried the team on both ends of the floor through 4 games in 4 days in the ACC tournament. I would honestly be pretty shocked if Wendell Moore had that type of impact.

At this point, I expect he will be a very good defender/slasher who can hopefully hit some shots, but we would all be very happy if he turned out to be more than that. We could certainly use as much ball handling and playmaking as we can get next year.
    Last edited by kAzE; 01-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Very interesting - obviously I have to ask... What is it about Wendell that makes you think this? Ingram and Tatum, for example, were essentially surefire stars. I'm interested in what draws you to compare Wendell to those two in particular.

You said "won't be far behind" which hopefully is not just a hedge and you actually believe Wendell has Ingram/Tatum level talent.

- Chillin

This is very encouraging news, although I am tempered somewhat by the level of competition. Do high school defenders regularly run someone out at him? Is he even being guarded by anyone physically comparable to him? This is to say that I do not believe that Moore is going to automatically be a great shooter day 1 in college. It took Luke Kennard an entire year to find his shooting stroke, after all, and Jack White is only starting to become that consistent perimeter threat that he seemed like he would eventually become. But you have to love the potential of a player with his size, length, athleticism, and all-around game that can also score at all three levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Very interesting - obviously I have to ask... What is it about Wendell that makes you think this? Ingram and Tatum, for example, were essentially surefire stars. I'm interested in what draws you to compare Wendell to those two in particular.

You said "won't be far behind" which hopefully is not just a hedge and you actually believe Wendell has Ingram/Tatum level talent.

- Chillin
    Are you asking me for a scouting report (which might be predictable/boring) or a reason why Wendell's under-ranked? If the latter, I honestly have no idea. He made two USA teams and started for both of them. His EYBL stats look good. His high school stats look good. I have no idea why he's not ranked top 15 like the other Duke NBA wings.

As BandAlum mentioned, that might be a situation that corrects itself in the final rankings.

Are you asking me for a scouting report (which might be predictable/boring) or a reason why Wendell's under-ranked? If the latter, I honestly have no idea. He made two USA teams and started for both of them. His EYBL stats look good. His high school stats look good. I have no idea why he's not ranked top 15 like the other Duke NBA wings.

As BandAlum mentioned, that might be a situation that corrects itself in the final rankings.
    Yeah, worth noting that Brandon Ingram was #18 in his class as of the Fall of 2014. It wasn't until the final 2015 rankings that he shot up to #4. And Winslow peaked at #12, with a final ranking of #13. So these things aren't always accurate. In the case of Winslow, I suspect it was a bit of a "jack of many trades, master of none" situation that kept him underrated. To some degree, the same may apply to Moore. But if he keeps shooting well from 3, it's going to be hard to keep him down on the list.

Ingram’s rise in stature was largely tied to his actual rise in stature, as in he went from being 6’4 to 6’9 over his last year+ in high school. Somehow he didn’t seem to gain any weight though.

Evan Daniels answers some recruiting questions on what he thinks about Duke's options for PG next year

https://247sports.com/Article/Colleg...bag-127643954/

Tom Singer
    @lourockqat
    Replying to @EvanDaniels and 2 others
    What pg can Duke get involved with late when Tre Jones goes pro? Do they get someone to reclassify? (RJ Hampton perhaps?)

"That’s a great question, because there isn’t much available. The best available guard is Cole Anthony and Duke isn’t involved with him. After him, Harland Beverly and Damion Baugh are the best two point guard prospects available. The other two options is going the graduate transfer market or mine the 2020 waters to see if any players want to reclassify up. There’s been rumors about players potentially reclassifying. Some of the guards that could potentially reclassify are Daishen Nix, RJ Hampton, who actually has said that he’s not going go reclassify up, and Jalen Green. I must note that known of those three have said it’s an option they are considering."

I guess the latter. It just seemed striking based on what I've heard (rankings, general hype, a few videos) to compare Wendell Moore to Tatum, in terms of quality prospect. When Tatum signed, I had goosebumps thinking about it because I loved his game so much. Admittedly, I haven't watched Moore as much as I watched Tatum. So hearing you make that comparison certainly piqued my interest.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I guess the latter. It just seemed striking based on what I've heard (rankings, general hype, a few videos) to compare Wendell Moore to Tatum, in terms of quality prospect. When Tatum signed, I had goosebumps thinking about it because I loved his game so much. Admittedly, I haven't watched Moore as much as I watched Tatum. So hearing you make that comparison certainly piqued my interest.

- Chillin
    Ha, remember, I choose my words carefully, despite not being a lawyer. Jayson, because of his injury, took awhile to ramp up to his ACC tournament level. I do think that across 35-40 games, Wendell would be able to have as much impact as freshman Jayson whose season-long stats weren't amazing. Can peak Wendell be as good as peak Jayson? A tougher task, for sure.