Page 6 of 204 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Does it matter much with all the one and dones?
    I wonder if that's what's behind the emphasis on 1 and dones these days? It's easier to promise to be here next year than it is to be here five years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I wonder if that's what's behind the emphasis on 1 and dones these days? It's easier to promise to be here next year than it is to be here five years from now.
    Perhaps. But this year's team will include junior Antonio Vrankovic, sophomores Javin DeLaurier and Jack White and freshmen Jordan Tucker, Alex O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire, none of whom project to be the in the NBA anytime soon. I suspect all of them asked about K's retirement timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Perhaps. But this year's team will include junior Antonio Vrankovic, sophomores Javin DeLaurier and Jack White and freshmen Jordan Tucker, Alex O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire, none of whom project to be the in the NBA anytime soon. I suspect all of them asked about K's retirement timeline.
    A really difficult position for Duke considering Coach's age, and his recent need for surgeries. The latter most important to me because it indicates a potential for a sudden physical need to retire. There will always be a group of really good players who want to come to Duke, and thank goodness for that. As to the "one and dones" whether we get them or not will depend upon Coach K's successor. So I think we take it year-by-year, or month by month whichever. Nothing to worry about it at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Sure, we aren't purely 1 and done, but obviously the emphasis has shifted quite a bit. Especially in the sense of attracting players that can compete at the level to which Duke is accustomed while they're here. Used to be that we would project a four year career for key guys and have sort of a succession plan. Not anymore. We're delighted to have all those guys, but they aren't why we'll be competing for titles this year. The formula for building a contender has changed quite a bit.

Sure, we aren't purely 1 and done, but obviously the emphasis has shifted quite a bit. Especially in the sense of attracting players that can compete at the level to which Duke is accustomed while they're here. Used to be that we would project a four year career for key guys and have sort of a succession plan. Not anymore. We're delighted to have all those guys, but they aren't why we'll be competing for titles this year. The formula for building a contender has changed quite a bit.
    For the 4-year-guys, especially if they don't project to have an NBA career, the draw of Duke University itself has to play a prominent role. They have to want that degree from Duke no matter who is coaching.

Coach K also probably delegates more in recruiting than just about any coach. Our assistants establish great relationships with the recruits, and often they do this before Coach K gets in there and establishes a great relationship himself. We also probably have the most recognizable assistant coaches in the nation, both because they are former players and because they do halftime interviews. Then, there there's the #Brotherhood. All of these things probably make the non-OAD recruits feel more comfortable that the program isn't just about Coach K.

Whatever the message is and has been, it is working very well.

There were a number of 247Sports Crystal Ball (not that it is all that accurate...) predictions in favor of Duke over the weekend for the 2019 class. Duke insiders, including Andrew Slater - previously mentioned on this board as highly reliable for Duke recruiting - have made predictions for several 5-star recruits in the 2019 class. Bryan Antoine, Joey Baker, and Vernon Carey all received multiple Duke predictions. Add to that list Armando Bacot, who is very heavily trending towards Duke, and the class is shaping up quite nicely. Bacot and Baker are not listed among the top 10 of their class at this point in time. They might be 2-4 year players, although are highly touted. The message that the program is sending out there is appealing to both the for-sure one-and-done players as well as other five-star recruits.

Lots could change, but the message that Duke is putting out there is resonating with recruits.

New Offer: F/C Isaiah Stewart

A number of tweets out tonight that Duke has offered 2019 PF/C Isaiah Stewart. Originally from upstate New York (Rochester) and attending La Lumiere Academy of La Porte, Indiana, Stewart is described as a "bruising," "hard working" post player that is a part of the USA junior national team. He's in that Top 25-30 range at this moment, but Evan Daniels noted that his stock is improving. He's listed at 6'8" and 243 lbs. Pics show a rather chiseled body for a kid that's 16 1/2 years old. He joins Vernon Carey, Jr. and Armando Bacot as post players in the Class of 2019 that have received an offer from Duke so far. I think we can expect Duke to load up on big men in the class.

Countdown to Craziness: Trio of 2019 Recruits

Top 2019 targets Armando Bacot, Joey Baker, and Matthew Hurt will be at Countdown to Craziness this evening. They will be joined by 2018 top recruit Zion Williamson and 2020 standouts Isaiah Todd and R.J. Hampton.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Whatever the message is and has been, it is working very well.

There were a number of 247Sports Crystal Ball (not that it is all that accurate...) predictions in favor of Duke over the weekend for the 2019 class. Duke insiders, including Andrew Slater - previously mentioned on this board as highly reliable for Duke recruiting - have made predictions for several 5-star recruits in the 2019 class. Bryan Antoine, Joey Baker, and Vernon Carey all received multiple Duke predictions. Add to that list Armando Bacot, who is very heavily trending towards Duke, and the class is shaping up quite nicely. Bacot and Baker are not listed among the top 10 of their class at this point in time. They might be 2-4 year players, although are highly touted. The message that the program is sending out there is appealing to both the for-sure one-and-done players as well as other five-star recruits.

Lots could change, but the message that Duke is putting out there is resonating with recruits.
    This certainly doesn't hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvev1Bjx6oA

Love the PE.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Top 2019 targets Armando Bacot, Joey Baker, and Matthew Hurt will be at Countdown to Craziness this evening. They will be joined by 2018 top recruit Zion Williamson and 2020 standouts Isaiah Todd and R.J. Hampton.
    How many of them went over to sit with the Crazies?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    How many of them went over to sit with the Crazies?
    All of them, I believe.

ricks

Matthew Hurt is visiting Minnesota (where his brother plays) today and will visit Kansas next month.

Joey Baker has officially committed, first one in the class of 2019: https://scout.com/college/basketball...Duke-109675821

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    Joey Baker has officially committed, first one in the class of 2019: https://scout.com/college/basketball...Duke-109675821
    Fantastic news! Baker seems like a great prospect and a player that might stick around for a few years. With Duke targeting one-and-dones for the wing position in 2018 (Cameron Reddish and R.J. Barrett), having Baker in the bag gives Duke great depth and talent on the wings in 2019-2020 and beyond.

At this point, it's nearly impossible to project the roster more than a year out. At any rate, the guard/wing position is most likely going to be the most crowded on the roster. Baker has the profile of a player that might be able to be a stretch 4, which is unlike the other wings/forwards. He might be able to fit in right away, depending upon the way the roster breaks down over the next couple of years.

Probable Players on the Roster in 2019-20

Guards: Jordan Goldwire (Jr.)
    Guards/Wings/Forwards: Jack White (Sr.), Alex O'Connell (Jr.), Jordan Tucker (Jr.), Joey Baker (Fr.)
    Forwards: Justn Robinson (RS-Sr.), Javin DeLaurier (Jr.)

Possible Players

Guards: Tre Jones (So.)
    Centers: Marques Bolden (Sr.)

I'm assuming there is a less than 5% chance Reddish or Barrett, if he commits, will be around more than a year.

Fantastic news! Baker seems like a great prospect and a player that might stick around for a few years. With Duke targeting one-and-dones for the wing position in 2018 (Cameron Reddish and R.J. Barrett), having Baker in the bag gives Duke great depth and talent on the wings in 2019-2020 and beyond.

At this point, it's nearly impossible to project the roster more than a year out. At any rate, the guard/wing position is most likely going to be the most crowded on the roster. Baker has the profile of a player that might be able to be a stretch 4, which is unlike the other wings/forwards. He might be able to fit in right away, depending upon the way the roster breaks down over the next couple of years.

Probable Players on the Roster in 2019-20

Guards/Wings/Forwards: Jack White (Sr.), Alex O'Connell (Jr.), Jordan Tucker (Jr.), Joey Baker (Fr.)

Possible Players

I'm assuming there is a less than 5% chance Reddish or Barrett, if he commits, will be around more than a year.
    lol, i think the value of that post is in showing how crazy it is to try to project more than one year at a time.

Possible Players

DeLaurier would be a senior under your scenario, not a Junior. But, the biggest thing here is that it is pretty much impossible to project rosters more than 1 year out (and even then, it is tough to do until April before the season starts). I strongly suspect that one of White, O'Connell, or Tucker won't be with us because they did not get enough playing time to justify staying that long.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    DeLaurier would be a senior under your scenario, not a Junior. But, the biggest thing here is that it is pretty much impossible to project rosters more than 1 year out (and even then, it is tough to do until April before the season starts). I strongly suspect that one of White, O'Connell, or Tucker won't be with us because they did not get enough playing time to justify staying that long.
    Yep. Another reason for a deeper rotation, but not likely to happen.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yep. Another reason for a deeper rotation, but not likely to happen.
    Can there be a separate thread for everyone who wants to advocate/whine about a deeper rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Can there be a separate thread for everyone who wants to advocate/whine about a deeper rotation?
    But that's every thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Oops! Yeah, meant to write that Javin will be a senior in 2019-20.

Ignoring any cries of "stick to recruiting!" there are currently 4 players in the probable bucket for 2-3 positions. That's not that crowded of a roster. It will get crowded if and when Duke gets other commitments from this class, most notably for the guard positions. Getting a couple of our forward/center targets could further crowd out playing time. Getting one or both of Bryan Antoine and Scottie Lewis, our primary guard targets (at the moment), would really make the wings a crowded position on the roster. I think getting just one of those two would still allow for enough playing time for most or even all of Baker, O'Connell, Tucker, and White. And let's not forget that a big reason why some players don't see the floor is inexperience. Coach K does tend to play juniors and seniors, like Josh Hairston, even when he has a lot of one-and-done/5-star recruits at his disposal.