Page 130 of 204 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 4071
    Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    Paul Pierce is correct. Crazy that none of the players to come through his programs in the last 20 years made an All Star game.
    I think Vince Carter is the last All-Star to play for the CHeats. That guy is practically collecting social security checks (although he is still in the league and dunking).

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think Vince Carter is the last All-Star to play for the CHeats. That guy is practically collecting social security checks (although he is still in the league and dunking).
    Antawn Jamison was actually a more recent UNC All-Star (same year out of college but played the All Star game more recently). But neither he nor Carter were coached by Williams obviously. Rasheed Wallace was also an All Star in 2008.
    Last edited by CDu; 02-17-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Antawn Jamison was actually a more recent UNC All-Star (same year out of college but played the All Star game more recently). But neither he nor Carter were coached by Williams obviously. Rasheed Wallace was also an All Star in 2008.
    Since there are -- what? -- two dozen players selected for the All-Star game, it is strange that the top programs aren't represented on every single team. One answer is that there are a lot of repeats, so not that many players in total get to be all-stars.

Grant Hill was a perennial all-star while healthy, and so is Kyrie when healthy. Before K there were Mullins and Marin. K-era selections include Laettner, Brand, and Boozer and surely some others I am too foggy to recall at 6 AM.

I think quite of few of current and recent players will eventually become all-stars. Heck, Zion is probably already leading in the fan vote for next year's game!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Since there are -- what? -- two dozen players selected for the All-Star game, it is strange that the top programs aren't represented on every single team. One answer is that there are a lot of repeats, so not that many players in total get to be all-stars.

Grant Hill was a perennial all-star while healthy, and so is Kyrie when healthy. Before K there were Mullins and Marin. K-era selections include Laettner, Brand, and Boozer and surely some others I am too foggy to recall at 6 AM.

I think quite of few of current and recent players will eventually become all-stars. Heck, Zion is probably already leading in the fan vote for next year's game!
    Well, a few things factor in. One is, as you said, repeat participants. There are probably a dozen guys making it regularly, which limits the opportunity for others. Another factor is that there was/is still a large contingent of guys who didn’t play in college at all (the LeBrons and foreigners) taking up spots. Toss in guys like Curry (Davidson), Wade and Butler (Marquette), Durant (Texas), Lillard (Weber St), George (Fresno St), and Leonard (San Diego St), and the spots fill up pretty quickly. And when you consider the number of programs with b-ball tradition, the pickings get slim.

As you noted, Duke has had fairly few regular representatives to the All-Star game too. We have had just 8 all stars ever (6 in the Coach K era: Hill, Laettner, Brand, Boozer, Deng, Irving).

Well, a few things factor in. One is, as you said, repeat participants. There are probably a dozen guys making it regularly, which limits the opportunity for others. Another factor is that there was/is still a large contingent of guys who didn’t play in college at all (the LeBrons and foreigners) taking up spots. Toss in guys like Curry (Davidson), Wade and Butler (Marquette), Durant (Texas), Lillard (Weber St), George (Fresno St), and Leonard (San Diego St), and the spots fill up pretty quickly. And when you consider the number of programs with b-ball tradition, the pickings get slim.

As you noted, Duke has had fairly few regular representatives to the All-Star game too. We have had just 8 all stars ever (6 in the Coach K era: Hill, Laettner, Brand, Boozer, Deng, Irving).
    Wow, that’s only 6 more than UNC in the Roy (cheating coach part three or four?) era. Hopefully that will change in the next few years.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Checked the number of all-star selections for each Duke player:
    Grant - 7
    Kyrie - 6
    Mullins - 3
    Marin - 2
    Brand - 2
    Boozer - 2
    Deng - 2
    Laettner - 1

Three of the above have their jerseys retired (Mullins, Hill, Laettner), and there are ten players with Duke retired jerseys without an NBA ASG appearance. One of the ten is Dick Groat, but -- hah! -- he appeared in eight baseball all-star games (and was on two World Series winners)!
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Keion Brooks, a 6'7" small forward that is deciding between Kentucky, Michigan State, and others appears to have cancelled his visit to MSU. A number of insiders have logged picks on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Kentucky. Kentucky already has a commit from 6'7" Khalil Whitney for the Class of 2019.

This might be a good sign for Duke and Matthew Hurt. Hurt is looking at Kentucky among his final few schools. It appears the Wildcats will be full up of wings/forwards. I'm assuming P.J. Washington declares for the NBA Draft after the season. That will leave UK with Nick Richards and E.J. Montgomery in the mix for frontcourt minutes next season. There would not be a lot of room for all of Richards, Montgomery, Whitney, Brooks, and Hurt.

This is probably a stretch on my behalf, but I see it as a good sign for Duke. It eliminates one very strong competitor for the services of Matthew Hurt.

All that being said, I think most people see him ending up at Kansas. We'll have to wait until April or after to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Keion Brooks, a 6'7" small forward that is deciding between Kentucky, Michigan State, and others appears to have cancelled his visit to MSU. A number of insiders have logged picks on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Kentucky. Kentucky already has a commit from 6'7" Khalil Whitney for the Class of 2019.

This might be a good sign for Duke and Matthew Hurt. Hurt is looking at Kentucky among his final few schools. It appears the Wildcats will be full up of wings/forwards. I'm assuming P.J. Washington declares for the NBA Draft after the season. That will leave UK with Nick Richards and E.J. Montgomery in the mix for frontcourt minutes next season. There would not be a lot of room for all of Richards, Montgomery, Whitney, Brooks, and Hurt.

This is probably a stretch on my behalf, but I see it as a good sign for Duke. It eliminates one very strong competitor for the services of Matthew Hurt.

All that being said, I think most people see him ending up at Kansas. We'll have to wait until April or after to know for sure.
    I don't follow recruiting in-depth but given the fact that it appears the NCAA will likely open a formal investigation into Kansas soon, won't that have a major impact on their current recruiting?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ge-basketball/

I don't know about Brooks, and whether he is a PF type, but I did see Whitney play several games in late December and he clearly appeared to be a wing. Thus not sure why he would necessarily compete with Hurt. (and, yes, I know that Hurt can shoot from the outside.)

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    I don't know about Brooks, and whether he is a PF type, but I did see Whitney play several games in late December and he clearly appeared to be a wing. Thus not sure why he would necessarily compete with Hurt. (and, yes, I know that Hurt can shoot from the outside.)
    Didn't we learn this year with the Duke team that you don't need to have a positions?

In all seriousness, Brooks is the one that appears to be the more interior-focused recruit that Whitney, although both seem to have perimeter skills to various degrees. Brooks has demonstrated decent shooting form as well as high-level athleticism and a desire to be a good rebounder.

Figuring out Kentucky's roster for next season at this moment is a fool's errand, but I'll give it a try. I think Ashton Hagans, Keldon Johnson, and P.J. Washington go pro and Reid Travis will exhaust his eligibility. That leaves Immanuel Quickly, Tyler Herro, and Jermarl Baker as returning sophomores in the backcourt as well as sophomore E.J. Montgomery and junior Nick Richards in the frontcourt. Kentucky already has commitments from combo guard and presumptive starting PG Tyrese Maxey as well as staring forward Kahlil Whitney. That gives them a starting lineup of Maxey, Herro, Whitney, and two of the three between Montgomery, Brooks, and/or Richards in the frontcourt. I wouldn't be surprised if Cal goes to the grad-transfer route again this summer to add more post depth as well as maybe a guard.

If I am Matthew Hurt, that screams logjam in the frontcourt. Even if he gets the starting nod over Montgomery and Brooks, you know Cal is going to at least try to give the other guys 20+ minutes a game to keep them satisfied. I just don't think UK is a serious player for Hurt at the moment. It really does look like Duke and Kansas to me and the situation at Kansas vis-à-vis the NCAA/FBI investigation may result in Duke being in the driver's seat.

Anyway, this is all speculation on my behalf and I've been wrong before.

If I am Matthew Hurt, that screams logjam in the frontcourt.
    Ummm, Duke will have Carey, Delaurier, White, and perhaps Bolden as well. That's pretty darn crowded too.

Kansas might lose Lawson and Azuibuike to the draft, though that is far from a sure thing, so their front-court could also be crowded. Of course, a kid as talented as Hurt is going to get playing time anywhere he goes so perhaps this roster gazing is pointless
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ummm, Duke will have Carey, Delaurier, White, and perhaps Bolden as well. That's pretty darn crowded too.

Kansas might lose Lawson and Azuibuike to the draft, though that is far from a sure thing, so their front-court could also be crowded. Of course, a kid as talented as Hurt is going to get playing time anywhere he goes so perhaps this roster gazing is pointless
    Slightly less pointless than discussing UNC's failures in the NBA, but I agree.

But after watching the regression of Jack White's offense since December, I am hoping more and more for Matthew Hurt to compliment Vernon Carey, Jr. Duke is going to need scorers on the team next year.

Slightly less pointless than discussing UNC's failures in the NBA, but I agree.

But after watching the regression of Jack White's offense since December, I am hoping more and more for Matthew Hurt to compliment Vernon Carey, Jr. Duke is going to need scorers on the team next year.
    Should I make my standard joke about needing a lot of players to say nice things about Carey?

Nah. That ship has sailed.

All the players should compliment each other. Zion and R.J. have both been very complimentary in their postgame interviews!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Should I make my standard joke about needing a lot of players to say nice things about Carey?

Nah. That ship has sailed.
    Please keep it up. I write appellate briefs for a living and I love your input on spelling and appropriate word usage!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    All the players should compliment each other. Zion and R.J. have both been very complimentary in their postgame interviews!
    Zion has been the greatest at that I've ever seen...so much focus on him, on one player, not just for Duke, but for the entire sport - and he deflects and spreads the love. Amazing young man in so many ways. And ups to RJ and Cam and Tre for their attitudes too. Super super group.

From the Netherlands to Utah and... Duke?

Over the weekend, a number of international prospects gathered in Charlotte for Basketball Without Borders. One of the standouts at the event was Tristan Enaruna, a 6'8" or 6'10" wing or stretch-4 with a blossoming game. Enaruna moved to Utah about a year ago and is a senior in high school this year. He plans on committing to a high-major college team. Duke has shown interest of late, which has left quite an impression on the young man, according to Evan Daniels of 247Sports.

Enaruna said the Duke interest has been a surprise.

“It’s something I didn’t expect,” he said. “It surprised me.”

“It’s motivational and it’s also it gave me some kind of energy, some killer mentality now that Duke is talking to me,” he added. “I have to prove that people look at me the way, ‘Oh that’s the dude that Duke is talking to and looking at.’ Not that they look at me and are like, ‘Why is Duke talking to that guy and stuff?’ so I’m just trying to be good.”
    Here is a brief scouting report:
    Tristan Enaruna, SF, Netherlands:
    The light has been flickering for Enaruna as a prospect throughout his senior season at Mount Pleasant (Utah) Wasatch Academy. It went from flickering to on at Basketball Without Borders this past weekend. Enaruna, who came to the United States from the Netherlands midway through last season, has always had the physical tools, standing 6-foot-8 and possessing fine length and good athleticism, but his game and confidence are advancing. At BWB, Enaruna played with purpose, knocked down long-range shots with ease and showed off an impressive feel and IQ for the game. Enaruna has the versatility to play as a wing or a face up four in college. Oozing with potential, Enaruna’s best days are ahead of him and with added strength he’ll evaluate further as a prospect.
    Recruiting: Creighton, Kansas, Miami, Duke, Kentucky

Over the weekend, a number of international prospects gathered in Charlotte for Basketball Without Borders. One of the standouts at the event was Tristan Enaruna, a 6'8" or 6'10" wing or stretch-4 with a blossoming game.

SNIP.

Recruiting: Creighton, Kansas, Miami, Duke, Kentucky
    That's quite a list. One of those things is not like the others, but still, heavy hitters. Out of curiosity, what's up with the ambiguous height on the guy? Either 6'8 or 6'10? Don't they do measurements at BWB?

ETA: I just realized perhaps one is with shoes, the other without?

For the curious yet lazy, Keion Brooks is ranked 23rd in 24/7 Composite (one spot below Wendell Moore). Kahlil Whitney is 7th, Tyrese Maxey is 9th. Matthew Hurt is 8th.
    Last edited by English; 02-19-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    That's quite a list. One of those things is not like the others, but still, heavy hitters. Out of curiosity, what's up with the ambiguous height on the guy? Either 6'8 or 6'10? Don't they do measurements at BWB?

ETA: I just realized perhaps one is with shoes, the other without?

For the curious yet lazy, Keion Brooks is ranked 23rd in 24/7 Composite (one spot below Wendell Moore). Kahlil Whitney is 7th, Tyrese Maxey is 9th. Matthew Hurt is 8.th
    Regarding the height difference, I think that might be due to his location. Not a lot of the national recruiting folks are going out to Utah high schools. The college coaches might do that, but I'm talking about the writers. They have to wait for big events like Hoop Hall Classic or Basketball Without Borders to see some of these kids. My hunch is that Enaruna first showed up in the database as a high school junior at 6'7" tall. This winter, he's closer to 6'9". Just a guess.

Over the weekend, a number of international prospects gathered in Charlotte for Basketball Without Borders. One of the standouts at the event was Tristan Enaruna, a 6'8" or 6'10" wing or stretch-4 with a blossoming game. Enaruna moved to Utah about a year ago and is a senior in high school this year. He plans on committing to a high-major college team. Duke has shown interest of late, which has left quite an impression on the young man, according to Evan Daniels of 247Sports.

Here is a brief scouting report:
    Wow! Recruiting news in the 2019 recruiting thread! Good find, DBA.
    Sage Grouse