Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remaining spring news

This has been a tumultuous spring for ACC basketball. 22 undergrads have put their name in the NBA draft (two of those have pulled out, five are still considering their options), 21 have announced plans to transfer out; nine are transferring in (six eligible next year).

Plus, there have been some late recruits -- including a couple of impact guys going to Duke.

Our roster seems to have stabilized after signing six recruits (three five stars, two fours stars and a three star), losing four undergrads to the NBA draft and two more players to transfer. In the last 10 days, we learned that Duke will not get Kevin Knox, but they will replace him with Jordan Tucker, that Frank Jackson is staying in the draft, but that Trevon Duval will play PG at Duke next year.

What still left to be decided?

For Duke, the big news we're waiting on is the outside possibility that the Devils can still add Mo Bamba, the No. 3 prospect in the class. He's still probably going to Texas or Kentucky, but whispers in AAU circles rate Duke a dark horse contender. Just a day or so ago, a so-called insider posted on Rupp's Rafters (the Kentucky equivalent to DBR) that it was a done deal -- Bamba to Duke. I really don't take that seriously (a reverse woof? a message board blowhard), but I do know that the Duke staff is still working the kid hard.

That's the only thing that could really change Duke's fortunes next season. Oh, there might be a grad transfer out there who could be a late addition, but I doubt it -- and even if that were to happen, there's nobody on the market that could make a significant impact next season.

But there is still some significant things to learn in the next couple of weeks that will shape the 2018 ACC.

The most significant are those five ACC players still in the draft who have not hired an agent. As I see it, the most important remaining decisions are:

(1) Tony Bradley, UNC -- more and more talk that he's staying in the draft since his last-second decision not to play in the combine scrimmages. No coincidence that Roy Williams reacted by rushing to Chicago to watch the combine and "support" his kids. Bradley's decision is crucial to the '18 Heels -- I think that with him and Berry, UNC is a borderline top 10 team. Without Bradley, they'll be lucky to be in the top 25.

(2) Deng Adel, Louisville -- Two of the three Louisville undergrads in the draft have hired agents and will stay in -- losing Donovan Mitchell hurts badly. Losing Jaylen Johnson hurts too. If Adel doesn't return, Rick Pitino would have to replace four starters. He's got one five star recruit and a couple of four stars coming in.

(3) Omer Yurtseven and Ted Kapita, NC State -- If Kevin Keatts has a chance to move the Pack up next season, he needs these two big men back. Keatts has whispered that he expects Kapita back, but that Yurtseven is "50-50". I doubt that even with both, State is first division, but they could be the difference between finishing in the 9th-11th range or 12th-14th range.

(5) Donte Graham, Clemson -- less important. Graham, who showed a lot of promise two years ago, was awful last season. Plus, Clemson is going to be far down in the ACC whether they have Graham or not.

All the guys left in draft limbo have to decide by May 24 at the latest.

There is one major recruiting target out there (other than Bamba). Five-star shooting guard M.J. Walker is looking at FSU, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech (plus UCLA, Ohio State and several SEC schools). He could make a big impact at any of those schools.

Finally, NC State has applied for a sixth year for guard Terry Henderson (who missed one year to transfer and almost one year to injury). Keatts said that he expect to hear a decision on Henderson by the end of the week.

Keatts, who already has two grad transfers on board, is still looking for transfer talent ... as is Jim Boeheim at Syracuse and Kevin Stallings at Pitt (and several others as well, but those are the most active). There are likely to be some late additions, but no one is out there at the moment who would have a significant impact on the ACC next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This has been a tumultuous spring for ACC basketball. 22 undergrads have put their name in the NBA draft (two of those have pulled out, five are still considering their options), 21 have announced plans to transfer out; nine are transferring in (six eligible next year).

Plus, there have been some late recruits -- including a couple of impact guys going to Duke.

Our roster seems to have stabilized after signing six recruits (three five stars, two fours stars and a three star), losing four undergrads to the NBA draft and two more players to transfer. In the last 10 days, we learned that Duke will not get Kevin Knox, but they will replace him with Jordan Tucker, that Frank Jackson is staying in the draft, but that Trevon Duval will play PG at Duke next year.

What still left to be decided?

For Duke, the big news we're waiting on is the outside possibility that the Devils can still add Mo Bamba, the No. 3 prospect in the class. He's still probably going to Texas or Kentucky, but whispers in AAU circles rate Duke a dark horse contender. Just a day or so ago, a so-called insider posted on Rupp's Rafters (the Kentucky equivalent to DBR) that it was a done deal -- Bamba to Duke. I really don't take that seriously (a reverse woof? a message board blowhard), but I do know that the Duke staff is still working the kid hard.

That's the only thing that could really change Duke's fortunes next season. Oh, there might be a grad transfer out there who could be a late addition, but I doubt it -- and even if that were to happen, there's nobody on the market that could make a significant impact next season.

But there is still some significant things to learn in the next couple of weeks that will shape the 2018 ACC.

The most significant are those five ACC players still in the draft who have not hired an agent. As I see it, the most important remaining decisions are:

(1) Tony Bradley, UNC -- more and more talk that he's staying in the draft since his last-second decision not to play in the combine scrimmages. No coincidence that Roy Williams reacted by rushing to Chicago to watch the combine and "support" his kids. Bradley's decision is crucial to the '18 Heels -- I think that with him and Berry, UNC is a borderline top 10 team. Without Bradley, they'll be lucky to be in the top 25.

(2) Deng Adel, Louisville -- Two of the three Louisville undergrads in the draft have hired agents and will stay in -- losing Donovan Mitchell hurts badly. Losing Jaylen Johnson hurts too. If Adel doesn't return, Rick Pitino would have to replace four starters. He's got one five star recruit and a couple of four stars coming in.

(3) Omer Yurtseven and Ted Kapita, NC State -- If Kevin Keatts has a chance to move the Pack up next season, he needs these two big men back. Keatts has whispered that he expects Kapita back, but that Yurtseven is "50-50". I doubt that even with both, State is first division, but they could be the difference between finishing in the 9th-11th range or 12th-14th range.

(5) Donte Graham, Clemson -- less important. Graham, who showed a lot of promise two years ago, was awful last season. Plus, Clemson is going to be far down in the ACC whether they have Graham or not.

All the guys left in draft limbo have to decide by May 24 at the latest.

There is one major recruiting target out there (other than Bamba). Five-star shooting guard M.J. Walker is looking at FSU, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech (plus UCLA, Ohio State and several SEC schools). He could make a big impact at any of those schools.

Finally, NC State has applied for a sixth year for guard Terry Henderson (who missed one year to transfer and almost one year to injury). Keatts said that he expect to hear a decision on Henderson by the end of the week.

Keatts, who already has two grad transfers on board, is still looking for transfer talent ... as is Jim Boeheim at Syracuse and Kevin Stallings at Pitt (and several others as well, but those are the most active). There are likely to be some late additions, but no one is out there at the moment who would have a significant impact on the ACC next season.
    Thank you for the post. It is refreshing to get solid information, particularly when compiled concisely

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Untitled.png

If Bradley stays at UNC, which I think he will, I still like Duke better on paper but UNC might be tougher than I was hoping. Berry is going to be a POY candidate and you gotta think that Pinson is going to have a solid SR campaign. I can't believe that Pinson is a SR. I got a bad feeling that his shooting will be decent this year. His FT% has increased every year. Bradley is the wildcard, they get him back they have three potential All-ACC players. Without Bradley they will have to plug in a 3 or 4-star freshman big man.

The size and length of the Duke lineup over UNC would be impressive.

Found this to be a pretty good summary:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...isions-players

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Untitled.png

If Bradley stays at UNC, which I think he will, I still like Duke better on paper but UNC might be tougher than I was hoping. Berry is going to be a POY candidate and you gotta think that Pinson is going to have a solid SR campaign. I can't believe that Pinson is a SR. I got a bad feeling that his shooting will be decent this year. His FT% has increased every year. Bradley is the wildcard, they get him back they have three potential All-ACC players. Without Bradley they will have to plug in a 3 or 4-star freshman big man.

The size and length of the Duke lineup over UNC would be impressive.
    UNC rando's say Bradley didn't do the 5 on 5 because of a tweaked ankle - FWIW. I found Roy's interview from the combine to be odd at best, and pretty gross at worst. He was going on about how players should stay unless they get a LOTTERY guarantee and life as a college player is pretty good (I hear life as a millionaire as opposed to a broke college student is also pretty good but that's me) and the NBA isn't going out of business (ok yeah but the years a player has to earn money is finite unlike the NBA business model). Anyway if K had done something similar the internet would have melted. So based on all that (and that he doesn't seem to be a first round lock) I expect Bradley to stay.

Remaining spring news

Thank you for this clear and concise list of what's still remaining. Good to see it all in one place. Things I am most interested in is the Tony Bradley decision and Mo Bamba (though I've already assume he isn't picking Duke -- this way if he does, it's a pleasant surprise, but if he does't I won't be disappointed. Plus between him and Duval, it was Duval who I really wanted and thought we really needed).

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    UNC rando's say Bradley didn't do the 5 on 5 because of a tweaked ankle - FWIW. I found Roy's interview from the combine to be odd at best, and pretty gross at worst. He was going on about how players should stay unless they get a LOTTERY guarantee and life as a college player is pretty good (I hear life as a millionaire as opposed to a broke college student is also pretty good but that's me) and the NBA isn't going out of business (ok yeah but the years a player has to earn money is finite unlike the NBA business model). Anyway if K had done something similar the internet would have melted. So based on all that (and that he doesn't seem to be a first round lock) I expect Bradley to stay.
    Roy does a superior job recruiting his existing players to remain at his bball academy. K and the other coaches of upper echelon schools recognize that the NBA is the goal of many. I also suspect Bradley returns to receive whatever bennies are handed out.

Just a day or so ago, a so-called insider posted on Rupp's Rafters (the Kentucky equivalent to DBR) that it was a done deal -- Bamba to Duke. I really don't take that seriously (a reverse woof? a message board blowhard)
    It was serious if said on the Rafters "I don't want to jinx it thread".

First, there is no such thing as a "broke college student" on the UNC basketball team. They should at least have a free rental car, beach rental house, etc.

This is par for the course for Ole Roy. I remember Barnes saying where Roy had him projected in the draft after his freshman year. It was well below where anyone else had him projected. I remember Roy saying how the NBA wasn't interested in players who lost early in the NCAA tournament when Hairston and Bullock returned for an extra year. Then, when poor Roy had to do without Hairston due to his rental car/drug dealing ways, Roy said that Hairston in practice was playing better than any guard he'd coached since Jordan.

The audio is not great for this interview, but Bradley has some quotes that make me think he's gone:

On his skills: "I am definitely a stretch four. I can play the five too. My game you saw at Carolina is completely different from what I will play in the NBA. . . . They didn't see all the stuff I can do. I can put the ball on the floor. I am very versatile. I can shoot the three. I can shoot the NBA three. That is what I tried to show the scouts today --- the shooting."

On whether he will go back to school if told by GMs he that is not going to go in the first: "We'll see."

On whether he has a goal in terms of draft position next year if he were to return for another year of school: "Uhh, I haven't thought that far ahead."

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/vi...utm_medium=rss

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The audio is not great for this interview, but Bradley has some quotes that make me think he's gone:

On his skills: "I am definitely a stretch four. I can play the five too. My game you saw at Carolina is completely different from what I will play in the NBA. . . . They didn't see all the stuff I can do. I can put the ball on the floor. I am very versatile. I can shoot the three. I can shoot the NBA three. That is what I tried to show the scouts today --- the shooting."

On whether he will go back to school if told by GMs he that is not going to go in the first: "We'll see."

On whether he has a goal in terms of draft position next year if he were to return for another year of school: "Uhh, I haven't thought that far ahead."

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/vi...utm_medium=rss
    Smart kid. You do realize these statements are just posturing for more bennies fro old Roy.

So Mo Bamba commits to Texas ...

And Jeff Goodman just reported that NC State's Ted Kapita is hiring an agent and staying in the draft ...

That's two useful players from State who have declared for the draft even though they don't have a prayer of being drafted (Kapita and Maverick Rowan)

The Pack is still waiting on Yurtseven, who at last report was 50-50 about staying in.

Still waiting on Bradley, Adel and Graham ... plus a decision by top 25 guard MJ Walker

That's two useful players from State who have declared for the draft even though they don't have a prayer of being drafted (Kapita and Maverick Rowan)
    The decision-making process here is very interested. Though we refer to guys like this as "entering the NBA draft" the reality is that they have decided to begin their pro basketball careers, despite knowing they probably won't start out in the top tier of the profession. They each have a fairly small chance of making a NBA roster, but they hope to earn money in the DLeague or overseas and perhaps someday get noticed by a NBA team and realize their dream that way. They may end up on someone's summer league team and could even get a training camp invite, if they don't want to go directly overseas. Regardless, this is not about the NBA Draft, it is about them getting paid to play hoops.

-Jason "I wish them well... they are giving up a college degree to pursue a big dream" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I wish them well... they are giving up a college degree to pursue a big dream" Evans
    Not really, one can always earn a college degree later in life. I was 41 when I earned my B.A. and 44 when I earned my M.A..
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Not really, one can always earn a college degree later in life. I was 41 when I earned my B.A. and 44 when I earned my M.A..
    Where does the B.S. part get mentioned?

(kidding, Bob, kidding-sorry, couldn't resist )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I hear life as a millionaire as opposed to a broke college student is also pretty good but that's me.
    I'm sure Fats and co. will make sure no student athlete on UNC's basketball team lives the life of a broke college student.

Okay, almost all the questions have been answered:

Bradley is staying in the draft.
    Deng Adel will return to Louisville.
    Omer Yurtseven will return to NC State
    Donte Graham will return to Clemson
    Ted Kapita is not returning to NC State (although he's not going to be drafted)

And FSU landed ML Walker, a very good shooting guard (No. 25 on ESPN's list)

The only one of my original questions still unanswered is Jay Henderson's status. The NC State guard is still waiting on the NCAA's ruling to his appeal for a sixth season.

There are still a few recruits out there (including Brian Bowen, a top 20 prospect, but not really considering an ACC school), but none that should significantly alter the ACC landscape next season. There will be a few more transfers (in and out), but none expect that should make a huge difference in the upcoming season.

There is the Cam Johnson transfer, but even adding him to UNC's roster wouldn't make up for Bradley's loss. That's if the UNC PR machine (headed by Jay Bilas) can pressure Pitt to allow the transfer in-conference.

So now I guess it's time to start measuring what the ACC will look like next year --- I don't want to start that here, but we ought to have a thread looking at that sometime soon.

So now I guess it's time to start measuring what the ACC will look like next year --- I don't want to start that here, but we ought to have a thread looking at that sometime soon.
    Are you sure we can't transition this thread (which has been an excellent ACC-dedicated summary thread, thanks) into that thread? Like you said, there's not too much news remaining after today, so this thread would just sink to the bottom.

I'll start by NOT ranking the ACC teams but by playing a lightning-round game called Improves / Maintains / Declines, which is hopefully self-explanatory.

Improves - Duke, UVA, Miami, NCSU, BC
    Maintains - Louisville, ND, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Wake, Clemson
    Declines - UNC, FSU, Syracuse, Pitt

Some of my teams in the "Maintains" bucket may have lost key contributors (e.g. Wake with Collins, Clemson with Blossomgame) but I am counting on improvement from the returnees to make up the difference. I haven't really put much thought into this; this is just initial reaction to where their rosters stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Are you sure we can't transition this thread (which has been an excellent ACC-dedicated summary thread, thanks) into that thread? Like you said, there's not too much news remaining after today, so this thread would just sink to the bottom.

I'll start by NOT ranking the ACC teams but by playing a lightning-round game called Improves / Maintains / Declines, which is hopefully self-explanatory.

Some of my teams in the "Maintains" bucket may have lost key contributors (e.g. Wake with Collins, Clemson with Blossomgame) but I am counting on improvement from the returnees to make up the difference. I haven't really put much thought into this; this is just initial reaction to where their rosters stand.
    I'm still trying to put this together, but off the top of my head, the one I disagree with is Virginia Tech in the maintain column. Yes, they lost LeDay and Allen, but they return five starters (Allen and LeDay came off the bench) and regain Kerry Blackshear, their best big man who missed all of last year, and Chris Clarke, their best all-around player, who was lost at midseason with an injury. They also add a five star shooting guard recruit. I expect the Hokies to be significantly stronger next season (and we play them twice!).

I would also suggest Wake declines ... I don't think they fall off a cliff or anything, but the loss of Collins is huge for them -- and they don't have anything like a replacement.

Virginia is interesting -- they lost their best player to graduation and three other veterans to transfer, but as Guy and Jerome move into the starting lineup, their offensive improves. But their best additions appear to be a pair of redshirts. Not sure they will be better .. still pondering that one.

Allow me to break it down a different way:

Upper echelon (in alphabetical order): Duke, Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech ... maybe UNC (I'm not sure -- and I'm sure this one creates a major debate ... I'm not ready to get into that now, although I might be soon)

Middle echelon: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Wake Forest (and maybe UNC)

Lower echelon: Boston College, Clemson, N.C. State, Pitt and Syracuse ... the only pick I'm sure of is Pitt at No. 15. If the Panthers don't finish dead last, then Stallings has to be in the running for ACC COY.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

That's a good way to start before doing the absolute rankings. I would change it by:

1. Moving Duke from "improves" to "maintains" (of course, there was a whole thread on this subject, so we don't need to revisit the debate right now)
    2. Moving Va Tech from "maintains" to "improves"
    3. Moving UVA from "improves" to "declines" (this is based more on the regular season ACC record of last year's UVA team and not the embarrassing NCAA tournament performance)