Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think this is the first It Must Have Been the Roses I've heard D&C play. Beautiful song.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't think anyone has said anything about Jeff on keyboards this whole thread. That's not a bad thing.

This Cumberland Blues shows off his talent greatly, though...dude can tickle some ivory!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I’m sure this Cassidy could be slower. But it’s hard for me to see how . . . .

I don't know why, but for the rocking song that it is, I've never been a fan of US Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't know why, but for the rocking song that it is, I've never been a fan of US Blues.
    Yeah, it’s kinda cookie cutter. A good encore back in the day though.

Kudos to the guy dressed up in the pit as Mario. Complete with hat and mustache.

I've never seen Here Comes Sunshine live in person by any iteration of the Dead.

I've never seen Here Comes Sunshine live in person by any iteration of the Dead.
    And it was awesome...loved that jam. Nice feed into Shakedown

Saw it once, but frankly it sorta fell apart.

That D&C version was nice.

Now, shake it down shake it down now . . . .

I love how they will zoom in on John's fingerwork. During this Wharf Rat, it is memorizing.

I love how they will zoom in on John's fingerwork. During this Wharf Rat, it is memorizing.
    I recall an interview recently where John said he knew he was getting close when he found himself making the same mistakes he thought Jerry would make. Interesting perspective.

And yeah, a very nice Wharf Rat

I like how John switches between a pick and finger-picking in the same lead at times — something Jerry did a lot (using his stub to pinch the pick).

Crisp Uncle John's

Uncommon feed from a dead end song pulling up flat to lead into drums. (Love seeing Oteil in Bill's seat!)

Bobby may be old, but watching him sing Dear Prudence solidifies my thoughts about him as a vocalist.
    Jerry was an amazing guitarist, and a good singer. But Bobby is a great vocalist. To the point we loved making fun of his cheesiness. But it was that cheese that makes him so great. In age, he's toned that down some, but still has power with his voice when he needs to truly wail.
    And in Dear Prudence, it's not that he wails that is potent, it's that he steps back. He uses his voice as a story teller does, all the while playing guitar.
    I enjoy John's vocals, but Bobby has a funky ebb & flow, to the point of almost muting himself out. And it has always worked great. I have no doubt that if Bob Weir never played guitar, he'd have still been front and center for some band behind the mike.

That was sweet.

Shakedown Stream this week (tomorrow): Shoreline 9/29/89.

Pre-show guest: David Crosby

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Shakedown Stream this week (tomorrow): Shoreline 9/29/89.

Pre-show guest: David Crosby
    I tuned in way late (as Space was closing out). Meh, maybe the rest of the show has been amazing.
    I caught Death Don't Have No Mercy. Whooowie, what a depressing song. No wonder they rarely played it. I never saw it live, and after listening, I don't feel like I missed anything, ha!

Watching Mighty Quinn now...did the whole band have the flu tonight? They just all sound so flat. Couldn't all be winners.

HA!!!!! Encore for tonight's show is Fire on the Mountain and Oteil is singing.

During one shot from slightly behind him, you see a teleprompter on the floor with scrolling lyrics. It's karaoke night in Atlanta!

HA!!!!! Encore for tonight's show is Fire on the Mountain and Oteil is singing.

During one shot from slightly behind him, you see a teleprompter on the floor with scrolling lyrics. It's karaoke night in Atlanta!
    They’ve been using prompters for the whole tour, maybe longer. It’s why you often see Bobby’s set lists posted on Twitter after the show, with changes and deletions as they deviate. They plan the set (not like the old days) — although they often stray from the plan.

It makes sense for the new guys, and let’s face it — Bobby and Jerry usually screwed up the lyrics to a song or two even back in the day.