Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Oteil is great, too. In hindsight, I know I've seen him on stage as part of the Aquarium Rescue Unit (at the Cat's Cradle no less!) but really didn't know who he was before D&C.
    I love how he joins in on both Drums & Space instead of going away for one or the other. And...he can sing! He doesn't often, and one of the fav shirts I've seen at a show was "Let Oteil Sing", but he does a solid job on the mike. (Terrapin Station is one of his when they let him loose, lol.)
    When I lived in Atlanta, I would see Col. Bruce & ARU several times a month. Oteil, and that whole band, was incredible.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My GF and I went to the Raleigh show this year (2018). It was her first exposure to the Dead in any form, and she loved it. The next year we did Charlotte (I brought and sold my tie dyes for that one, whew that lot was so hot), and we of course had tix for this year too.
    COVID sucks.
    She's looking forward to going again next year.

(PS, another Oteil sing-a-long on now...Fire!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Aside from the Lockn' Festival, this show was the last one of the Summer 2018 tour.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Oteil is great, too. In hindsight, I know I've seen him on stage as part of the Aquarium Rescue Unit (at the Cat's Cradle no less!) but really didn't know who he was before D&C.
    I love how he joins in on both Drums & Space instead of going away for one or the other. And...he can sing! He doesn't often, and one of the fav shirts I've seen at a show was "Let Oteil Sing", but he does a solid job on the mike. (Terrapin Station is one of his when they let him loose, lol.)
    Don't forget that Oteil was also a longtime member of the Allman Brothers Band.

I've probably said it before on this thread, and will probably say it again.

Dead & Company Drums/Space is mind shattering.

Double encore night. Two bows, the first after Uncle John's Band, and the second after Ripple.

PS...per mind shattering Drums/Space, this is what I'm talking about. Not from tonight's show, but it's a good taste.

Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 07-11-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    [heresy] in a lot of ways, he is better and more dynamic on guitar than late-stage Jerry. Certainly more consistently brilliant.[/heresy]
    I’ll eagerly trade you John, Bobby, Billy, and Mickey for Jerry! I’d much rather see Jerry play than any combination that’s happened since his departure. IMO, Garcia was the heart and soul of The Grateful Dead. I think Jerry was the most talented and creative musician I’ve ever seen play. I also believe Phil was the second most talented member in The Grateful Dead and a major loss to the current group.

Please don’t misunderstand... I’m very happy the three remaining members are still making great music and having fun. I’m also very pleased people are having a blast seeing them. IMO, John is the best lead guitarist, for their music, they have played with since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I’ll eagerly trade you John, Bobby, Billy, and Mickey for Jerry! I’d much rather see Jerry play than any combination that’s happened since his departure. IMO, Garcia was the heart and soul of The Grateful Dead. I think Jerry was the most talented and creative musician I’ve ever seen play. I also believe Phil was the second most talented member in The Grateful Dead and a major loss to the current group.
    I do not disagree.

Please don’t misunderstand... I’m very happy the three remaining members are still making great music and having fun. I’m also very pleased people are having a blast seeing them. IMO, John is the best lead guitarist, for their music, they have played with since 1995.
    I do not disagree with this either. Not incompatible.

It’s a different band with John. And it is a really good band. Not going through the motions or just a cover, which is sorta the vibe I got from the whole group after Brent died to get honest. As Phil wrote in his book, they all sort of ossified after a certain point.

Jerry was groundbreaking, and there is no other. Not sure how much new ground he broke after ‘90 or so though. John does not try to copy, he honors it but brings his own thing. Dead & Co. is it’s own, vibrant thing. Same with Otiel.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It’s a different band with John. And it is a really good band. Not going through the motions or just a cover, which is sorta the vibe I got from the whole group after Brent died to get honest. As Phil wrote in his book, they all sort of ossified after a certain point.

Jerry was groundbreaking, and there is no other. Not sure how much new ground he broke after ‘90 or so though. John does not try to copy, he honors it but brings his own thing. Dead & Co. is it’s own, vibrant thing. Same with Otiel.
    I totally agree!

To be clear, I've only seen a couple tunes with John. The first one I saw was in June 2015 when he played at Phil's place and did Sugaree with Phil. I forwarded it to a few of my friends, who were still seeing shows (I stopped in 1995), and shared my opinion it was the best I've seen, for the music, since Jerry. I strongly believe the boys were very prudent to move forward with John.

I thought Brent was the best keyboardist to play in The Grateful Dead and his loss was devastating. However, the boys were ideally positioned to replace him with the very best talent. In 1990, what other highly compensated band was going to share equally with a new band member an even cut of the gate? The Grateful Dead were the number one grossing live band in 1991 and each band member made seven digits annually from the gate cut. The Grateful Dead had always invested incredible time, energy, and money creating the best concert experience possible until Brent's death. Then, when Brent passed, The Grateful Dead became extremely lackadaisical and did the easiest thing possible (IMO, ending their greatness). Instead, Jerry could have gotten on the phone and started with the best choice possible (IMO, Gregg Allman). Imagine pairing a touring Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers (just reunited the year before) and Gregg playing for both. Gregg says no and Jerry calls the second best choice. Many, many incredibly talented keyboardist would have loved to play with Jerry while making seven digits a year in the early 90's.

For comparison, IIRC, the last time The Eagles gave someone an even cut of the gate was Fingers. Every hire since 1975, including Walsh, was a hired gun. Nevertheless, Henley was still able to make an incredible Frey replacement hire with Vince Gill (already with 21 Grammys). A great vocalist, matching well with the existing catalogue, and a much better guitarist than Frey.

This isn't the Dead. But it is a great concert by Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady.

~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    This isn't the Dead. But it is a great concert by Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady.

One of my all-time favorites. I've seen him many times (alone and with Jack). I saw him with Will Scarlett in Page Auditorium in the mid-80's -- if anyone finds an audio of that please post it! (I wore out the cassette bootleg, and not sure I have anything that will play it now anyway). Incredible show.

We saw Jerry and the Dead play one of his last shows, at one of the smallest venues ever, the Franklin County Airport (just a wee strip) in Highgate Vermont, June 15, 1995..roughly 100,000 people in the middle of nowhere...Jerry stayed down the road from us at a local hotel, had the usual rock star demands, gobs of health food, other stuff, but even that didn't save him from the unhelpful drugs he was abusing at the time...he looked like he was near death, and he was, dying within two months.

Good show though, what i can recall of it...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We saw Jerry and the Dead play one of his last shows, at one of the smallest venues ever, the Franklin County Airport (just a wee strip) in Highgate Vermont, June 15, 1995..roughly 100,000 people in the middle of nowhere...Jerry stayed down the road from us at a local hotel, had the usual rock star demands, gobs of health food, other stuff, but even that didn't save him from the unhelpful drugs he was abusing at the time...he looked like he was near death, and he was, dying within two months.

Good show though, what i can recall of it...
    Very true, Jerry looked really bad in ‘95 and even late ‘94. He did a good job of controlling his urges, with “maintenance” levels, from late ‘86 until Brent’s departure (July ‘90). But, everything went the wrong direction quickly from August ‘90 onward.

The Fall of ‘89 (GD & JGB) and Spring of ‘90 (GD) were exceptional and the best live music I ever saw. Jerry played incredibly and consistently well Brent’s final 12 months.

Saw "Long Strange Trip" in one sitting at Full Frame and loved it. And still have a t-shirt from "The Dead at Duke" (1981 I think) -- white lettering with intricate skeleton on black shirt. Re Stones bashing, I do love them but just the other night I tried to watch Scorsese's "Shine A Light" (2008) and couldn't get through it. Probably made a few decades too late but made me feel better about not shelling out $300 to sit up close in Wally Wade for the 2005 tour. (Watched the stage be built for two weeks while doing knee rehab in the now-sky-boxes.) But I doubt I'd have enjoyed the last 20 years of the Dead's live shows either. I'm just a grumpy old fart I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    And still have a t-shirt from "The Dead at Duke" (1981 I think) -- white lettering with intricate skeleton on black shirt.
    Probably from the ‘82 show? If you went, there were two different color general admission tickets. One for the floor and one up to the seats. First night of Spring Tour and Jerry had just changed sides of the stage.

Probably from the ‘82 show? If you went, there were two different color general admission tickets. One for the floor and one up to the seats. First night of Spring Tour and Jerry had just changed sides of the stage.
    The ‘82 Duke show was the first time I saw people having an extremely hard time getting tickets south of Philly. The face value was ~ $9 and I saw many people holding up $50 bills (~ $130 today) with nobody selling to them.

I totally agree!

To be clear, I've only seen a couple tunes with John. The first one I saw was in June 2015 when he played at Phil's place and did Sugaree with Phil. I forwarded it to a few of my friends, who were still seeing shows (I stopped in 1995), and shared my opinion it was the best I've seen, for the music, since Jerry. I strongly believe the boys were very prudent to move forward with John.
    There isn't a single thing I disagree with in any of your posts, but I would strongly suggest that you take in a full D&C show, either on Youtube or in person. If you go the streaming route, give the band a couple years and pick one from 2018 or 2019.
    I'd be curious to see what your take is. I was lucky enough to enjoy my first Grateful Dead show in '89, and my last one was in '94. (Work kept us from Jerry's last year.)
    While I had fun with Bruce/Vince's addition, neither for sure was Brent, and for that reason alone I wasn't as enthused after his passing. (I did really enjoy Baba O'Riley/Tomorrow Never Knows, though, and that was Vince.)
    I caught one show from "The Dead". Bleah.
    Anywho, back to D&C. It's a different band, and they have rejuvenated my joy for the music. So I'm curious to think what your review would be after watching more than a couple tunes.

There isn't a single thing I disagree with in any of your posts, but I would strongly suggest that you take in a full D&C show, either on Youtube or in person. If you go the streaming route, give the band a couple years and pick one from 2018 or 2019.
    I'd be curious to see what your take is. I was lucky enough to enjoy my first Grateful Dead show in '89, and my last one was in '94. (Work kept us from Jerry's last year.)
    While I had fun with Bruce/Vince's addition, neither for sure was Brent, and for that reason alone I wasn't as enthused after his passing. (I did really enjoy Baba O'Riley/Tomorrow Never Knows, though, and that was Vince.)
    Anywho, back to D&C. It's a different band, and they have rejuvenated my joy for the music. So I'm curious to think what your review would be after watching more than a couple tunes.
    I wholly endorse this. D&C is a vibrant band, different but not a cover band like “The Other Ones” or “The Dead” or even late-stage GD shows seemed to be. The new guys have awoken the old guys and it is really good.

Also agree on getting more recent shows, as things have developed over time.

I started seeing GD shows when I was 14 and got serious at 17. My primary focus was Jerry and I probably saw 200-300 GD and ~ 100 JGB shows (mostly during the 80’s). Now, I can play my recordings, close my eyes, and see Jerry (no liquid required). Must admit, my music expectations are high.

I will not take a strong recommendation from you and/or OPK lightly. I know both of you are great sources for advice and direction. I’ll make time (it might take awhile) to see an entire gig and report back. Thanks for the recommendation!

And, thanks, again, for the great art. Love your work!