Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Much thanks; set my DVR! Is it 4 parts?
    Two I believe. They are playing both tonight at 8 and at 9; must be a rebroadcast on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Two I believe. They are playing both tonight at 8 and at 9; must be a rebroadcast on Thursday.
    Looks like two new ones next week?
    It’s showing parts 3 & 4 next week.

Looks like two new ones next week?
    It’s showing parts 3 & 4 next week.
    Good deal! I taped 1 and 2 but did not get a chance to watch it yet.

Good deal! I taped 1 and 2 but did not get a chance to watch it yet.
    Same here…. much thanks for the heads-up!
    I might just wait until I have all 4 and watch them then.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Same here…. much thanks for the heads-up!
    I might just wait until I have all 4 and watch them then.
    After OPK's heads up, I recorded 1-2 last night. I'm in Jeffrey's corner and am going to wait 'til 3 and 4 air just in case I'm tempted to binge them all at once.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just watched the first two episodes. Very well done. And yes, y’all will dig the soundtrack!

Just watched the first two episodes. Very well done. And yes, y’all will dig the soundtrack!
    I suspect Big Red has always overseen any GD/Walton production. For example, in the 70’s, my dad subscribed to Sports Illustrated. Unfortunately, his October 15, 1979 edition disappeared very quickly.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Streamed last night's show from Saratoga (doing tonight's as well). Fun show, but had to make a shout out to Jay Lane's fashion adviser. Jay wore a plain white t-shirt with a photo of Bobby on it, lol.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The instagram link no longer works, but I assume we're talking about the 30 on 30 about Bill Walton?

Just truly fantastic...i've seen all but the first episode, they are still running regularly at night on the deuce...Bill is a smart, insightful, fascinating guy...and unbelievable footage of NBA hoops, Bill vs Kareem, Ralph Sampson throwing roundhouse punches during games, all kinds of good stuff...very possibly the best 30 on 30 I've seen, and you do get The Music...

I binged all four episodes of the Walton 30 for 30 this weekend. It is really good - the perfect intersection of incredible basketball history combined with the awesome Dead soundtrack (plus some classic anecdotes about Walton's interactions with the Dead). He is a fascinating guy. He spent countless hours doing interviews all over the country - this was almost like an autobiography for him.

I met Walton at an event about 15 years ago, which I think was roughly when he was going through the really bad back pain that made him almost suicidal. He was incredibly nice - we only spoke briefly but he wanted to know all about me (I'm not particularly interesting). This was exactly how he was in the 30 for 30.

I find his schtick when calling games to initially be entertaining but it quickly goes over the top and becomes annoying. And there is some of that here, but it didn't bother me at all as it is pretty limited.

I haven’t watched it yet, but Bill was very easy to find at a GD show. He almost always went solo (until his Celtic days) and, like CNC said, he was always very friendly and loved to talk GD before shows. Regardless of his seats, he always had the perfect view. I always felt bad for the people directly behind him.

IMO, Bill was the biggest Deadhead in every way! He truly tried to get a Portland contract which included the GD playing before every home game.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 06-20-2023 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ...very possibly the best 30 on 30 I've seen,
    I just finished the first two episodes and strongly agree with your assessment. There’s a level of openness, enlightenment, and truth beyond my expectations. Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places, if you look at it right.

I haven’t watched it yet, but Bill was very easy to find at a GD show. He almost always went solo (until his Celtic days) and, like CNC said, he was always very friendly and loved to talk GD before shows. Regardless of his seats, he always had the perfect view. I always felt bad for the people directly behind him.

IMO, Bill was the biggest Deadhead in every way! He truly tried to get a Portland contract which included the GD playing before every home game.
    He's been in the crowd of a few D&C shows I've streamed. Seems he's quite happy with the lawn, which as someone only as partially as tall, my legs and I approve. Each time I've caught him on camera, he's always been beaming.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He's been in the crowd of a few D&C shows I've streamed. Seems he's quite happy with the lawn, which as someone only as partially as tall, my legs and I approve. Each time I've caught him on camera, he's always been beaming.
    He must have attended 200+ shows since Jerry passed. He said on the 30 on 30 he had been to 1,000 shows. Back in the day, when Garcia checked out, I recall Bill saying he went to 800 GD shows .

He must have attended 200+ shows since Jerry passed. He said on the 30 on 30 he had been to 1,000 shows. Back in the day, when Garcia checked out, I recall Bill saying he went to 800 GD shows .
    He wouldn't be telling a tall tale, would he?

All the years combine,
    They melt into a dream….

Nope! Walton was a fixture at left coast shows. I don’t recall seeing him on the east coast until he started playing with the Celtics. Then, he started taking Celtics to shows and you definitely did NOT want the seats behind them!

Nope! Walton was a fixture at left coast shows. I don’t recall seeing him on the east coast until he started playing with the Celtics. Then, he started taking Celtics to shows and you definitely did NOT want the seats behind them!
    Episode 4 has great scenes about him going to the shows with his Celtics teammates - one of my favorite parts of the whole series. Parish, Bird and McHale were great interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Episode 4 has great scenes about him going to the shows with his Celtics teammates - one of my favorite parts of the whole series. Parish, Bird and McHale were great interviews.
    Cool; I’m definitely looking forward to it. Probably watch it tonight.

Sigh...on a board infamous for puns, that one flew right over...tsk tsk.