Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Julie catch a rabbit by his hair,
    Come back step, like to walk on air,
    Get back home where you belong,
    and don't you run off no more.
    Bobby’s latest version…..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPJy9l2Njr0

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I didn't even look to see what seats cost, I simply got us our lawn spots and chair rentals for both Charlotte and Raleigh today. We'll be camping in both places, turning that two show outing into a fun weeklong adventure.
    I'll likely pay for the live streams for the last two nights in San Fran, and enjoy them on the projection screen in my backyard. (Room to dance!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Two things. First, I'm glad I got our tix for the NC shows back when I did because I noticed today that Charlotte is sold out.

Second, D&C kick off 2023 with their Playing In the Sand shows this weekend in Mexico. We're going to stream the first one tonight.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

First set from tonight

Sugar Magnolia
    Deal
    Shakedown St
    Ramble on Rose (With Wynonna Judd. They gave her a guitar for some reason, but she barely played it. Sung great though.)
    They Love Each Other
    Tennessee Jed
    Jack Straw
    Casey Jones

Second set from tonight, and then some thoughts.

St. Stephen
    Dear Mr. Fantasy
    Hey Jude (not the whole song)
    Estimated Prophet
    Eyes of the World
    Drums
    Space
    Cumberland Blues
    Stella Blue
    One More Saturday Night (duh)

Encore
    Ripple

Ok so wow. The first set was solid, and it was just fun seeing them again. Wynonna joining them for Ramble on Rose was neat, but also distracting. Her and Bobby didn't duet together well. Like at all, lol. It would have been better if she just did the vocals solo. And like I said, she comes out, and a tech hands her a guitar, which she starts to play, but then it's just an accessory for the rest of the song. Of course she's standing in between John Mayer and Bob Weir, so I can see how one might feel useless strumming a six string.

The second set was just amazing. St. Stephen was a great opener, and I'm happy that D&C has been playing it. The Grateful Dead flat out quit on it, which is why it was rather rare after the mid 70s. There's a quote from Bobby somewhere that goes "Don't ask, we don't even know how to play it anymore."

For some reason, Mickey left at the start of Dear Mr. Fantasy, and was replaced by Jay Lane. Maybe he had to pee, no idea, because within a minute he was back, but I swear the only thing Mickey was playing on his return was a cow bell. (We can all use more, right?) Jay was literally jumping in his seat jamming on Mickey's drum set.

Eyes had a GREAT extended solo from Oteil on bass. No drums, no keyboard, no guitars. Just the other guys watching him work some very melodic magic.

Then Drums kicked in, and OMG. Mickey is up there, and he's waving a "Come on" motion to offstage. Three other guys climb the stairs, including Jay Lane again. So there are FIVE drummers pounding the skins. And then as usual, Oteil takes the stage (on Bill's kit) so there are SIX drummers. I've never seen that before and it was so much fun.

As most of those folks wrapped it up, Mickey kicked off Space on the beam.

Cumberland Blues brought the music back, and it was literally one of the most rocking versions I've heard. If I were there, I'da broken my back dancing.

Stella was very nice, and everyone of course knew Saturday Night would be the closer. Knowing Ripple was coming was obvious too, as the first thing that John and Bob did when they retook the stage was pick up their acoustics.

I can't wait to see the guys live and in person later this summer. This was the only Playing in the Sand show that I'm streaming, but it was a very nice holdover until the end of May.

Oh..last thought. Music started a little after 7:30, and they wrapped up around 11:45. That's A Show!

Double PS, you can watch St. Stephen from tonight here. Music starts at around the 39 minute mark. (There's an interview with Oteil before it.)
    https://fb.watch/i3g_kNw2HN/
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 01-15-2023 at 12:09 AM.

Found the names of the three additional drummers. As said, I knew Jay was one of them, the other 2 are new to me.
    Jay Lane, Isaac Eady, & Wally Ingram

Eady is with Tedeschi Trucks (neat tie in, since Oteil used to be) and has played with Mickey's Planet Drum. Ingram has played with Phil Lesh and Bobby before and is with Timbuk 3.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    St. Stephen was a great opener, and I'm happy that D&C has been playing it. The Grateful Dead flat out quit on it, which is why it was rather rare after the mid 70s. There's a quote from Bobby somewhere that goes "Don't ask, we don't even know how to play it anymore."
    Jerry was in his own league and every member of The Grateful Dead knew and acknowledged his extreme skills. IIRC, the boys played St. Stephen only twice with Brent. Jerry realized that an organ was not the right instrument for the tune. Keith and T.C. had the right instrument (piano) and Pig and Brent didn’t (organ). After Brent passed, Jerry quickly went south and never took advantage of playing Stephen with Bruce. Hornsby would have been perfect for the tune (or, any T.C. tune).

D&C probably have a solid piano player who can play St. Stephen well. I’ve only seen videos of D&C playing a couple tunes, but their keyboardist really worked for me. My first impression was I strongly preferred him to Vince. I wish the boys hired the new guy in 1990. He would have worked well with Garcia.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 01-15-2023 at 03:56 AM.

Second set from tonight, and then some thoughts.

St. Stephen
    Dear Mr. Fantasy
    Hey Jude (not the whole song)
    Estimated Prophet
    Eyes of the World
    Drums
    Space
    Cumberland Blues
    Stella Blue
    One More Saturday Night (duh)

Encore
    Ripple

Ok so wow. The first set was solid, and it was just fun seeing them again. Wynonna joining them for Ramble on Rose was neat, but also distracting. Her and Bobby didn't duet together well. Like at all, lol. It would have been better if she just did the vocals solo. And like I said, she comes out, and a tech hands her a guitar, which she starts to play, but then it's just an accessory for the rest of the song. Of course she's standing in between John Mayer and Bob Weir, so I can see how one might feel useless strumming a six string.

The second set was just amazing. St. Stephen was a great opener, and I'm happy that D&C has been playing it. The Grateful Dead flat out quit on it, which is why it was rather rare after the mid 70s. There's a quote from Bobby somewhere that goes "Don't ask, we don't even know how to play it anymore."

For some reason, Mickey left at the start of Dear Mr. Fantasy, and was replaced by Jay Lane. Maybe he had to pee, no idea, because within a minute he was back, but I swear the only thing Mickey was playing on his return was a cow bell. (We can all use more, right?) Jay was literally jumping in his seat jamming on Mickey's drum set.

Eyes had a GREAT extended solo from Oteil on bass. No drums, no keyboard, no guitars. Just the other guys watching him work some very melodic magic.

Then Drums kicked in, and OMG. Mickey is up there, and he's waving a "Come on" motion to offstage. Three other guys climb the stairs, including Jay Lane again. So there are FIVE drummers pounding the skins. And then as usual, Oteil takes the stage (on Bill's kit) so there are SIX drummers. I've never seen that before and it was so much fun.

As most of those folks wrapped it up, Mickey kicked off Space on the beam.

Cumberland Blues brought the music back, and it was literally one of the most rocking versions I've heard. If I were there, I'da broken my back dancing.

Stella was very nice, and everyone of course knew Saturday Night would be the closer. Knowing Ripple was coming was obvious too, as the first thing that John and Bob did when they retook the stage was pick up their acoustics.

I can't wait to see the guys live and in person later this summer. This was the only Playing in the Sand show that I'm streaming, but it was a very nice holdover until the end of May.

Oh..last thought. Music started a little after 7:30, and they wrapped up around 11:45. That's A Show!

Double PS, you can watch St. Stephen from tonight here. Music starts at around the 39 minute mark. (There's an interview with Oteil before it.)
    https://fb.watch/i3g_kNw2HN/
    Fantastic write-up, thanks!

I saw St. Stephen in Hartford in ‘83 (they brought it back for three shows IIRC that year after a four or five year absence, then shelved it again for the most part). Still an incredible memory when they hit the first two notes coming out of space!

I look forward to watching the Oteil interview, I saw him a hundred times with Col. Bruce and the ARU back in the day when he first started out. Phenomenal talent even at that young age.

Jerry was in his own league and every member of The Grateful Dead knew and acknowledged his extreme skills. IIRC, the boys played St. Stephen only twice with Brent. Jerry realized that an organ was not the right instrument for the tune. Keith and T.C. had the right instrument (piano) and Pig and Brent didn’t (organ). After Brent passed, Jerry quickly went south and never took advantage of playing Stephen with Bruce. Hornsby would have been perfect for the tune (or, any T.C. tune).

D&C probably have a solid piano player who can play St. Stephen well. I’ve only seen videos of D&C playing a couple tunes, but their keyboardist really worked for me. My first impression was I strongly preferred him to Vince. I wish the boys hired the new guy in 1990. He would have worked well with Garcia.
    That's Jeff Chimenti and he's great. He's played with Bob & Ratdog since the mid 90s, and has been the keyboardist with every post-Jerry version of the Dead. (The Dead, Furthur, Fare Thee Well, D&C) He's also the keyboardist for Bob Weir & The Wolf Bros. (The aforementioned Jay Lane is that group's drummer.)
    The rapport he has on stage with John Mayer is always one of the highlights of any show, they totally feed off each other.

As to Oteil, I totally forgot he was in ARU! I only saw Col Bruce twice in the early 90s, but that means that I would have been watching Oteil. (They put on a great show at the Cat's Cradle.)

That's Jeff Chimenti and he's great. He's played with Bob & Ratdog since the mid 90s, and has been the keyboardist with every post-Jerry version of the Dead. (The Dead, Furthur, Fare Thee Well, D&C) He's also the keyboardist for Bob Weir & The Wolf Bros. (The aforementioned Jay Lane is that group's drummer.)
    The rapport he has on stage with John Mayer is always one of the highlights of any show, they totally feed off each other.

As to Oteil, I totally forgot he was in ARU! I only saw Col Bruce twice in the early 90s, but that means that I would have been watching Oteil. (They put on a great show at the Cat's Cradle.)
    I lived in ATL for three years, and the Colonel & ARU played at either The Cotton Club on Peachtree or at a club in Little Five Points almost every Wednesday. I am sure I saw them at least as many times as the Dead (75-ish?). That was one incredible live band.

For those who don’t know:

The guitarist for ARU was Jimmy Herring, who played with some post-Jerry version of the band and I think is with Widespread Panic now.

The guest keyboardist is Chuck Leavell from Macon, who has been the musical director and tour pianist for The Rolling Stones and others since the early 1980’s.

They opened every show with this song, or some version of it. Each one different.

God bless Colonel Bruce. A true Atlanta institution for decades.

Bobby strikes again. First Brent and then Jeff. Bobby can certainly find great keyboard players!

Did Bobby know Jeff in 1990? The boys made practically no effort replacing Brent. Seven digits was a lot of money in 1990 and lotsa keyboardist would have loved to play with Garcia. It was all downhill from there.

Bobby strikes again. First Brent and then Jeff. Bobby can certainly find great keyboard players!

Did Bobby know Jeff in 1990? The boys made practically no effort replacing Brent. Seven digits was a lot of money in 1990 and lotsa keyboardist would have loved to play with Garcia. It was all downhill from there.
    I think they tried to get Hornsby but he was not interested in a permanent gig. Still — Vince was an odd choice.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

I saw St. Stephen in Hartford in ‘83 (they brought it back for three shows IIRC that year after a four or five year absence, then shelved it again for the most part). Still an incredible memory when they hit the first two notes coming out of space!
    Thanks, OPK, I forgot about Hartford. Must confess, I remember some shows but have totally forgotten others I attended. Every few years I go through my ticket stub box and say the same thing, “damn, I was at that show?”.

I think they tried to get Hornsby but he was not interested in a permanent gig. Still — Vince was an odd choice.
    Bruce immediately told Jerry he could only fill in temporarily. Unfortunately, Bruce’s kindness enabled the boys laziness. The GD auditioned four local (SF) players, in a single afternoon, and picked Vince because of his voice (high notes). Total laziness!
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 01-15-2023 at 07:08 PM. Reason: T Lavitz, Pete Sears, Ian McLagan, & Vince

Thanks, OPK, I forgot about Hartford. Must confess, I remember some shows but have totally forgotten others I attended. Every few years I go through my ticket stub box and say the same thing, “damn, I was at that show?”.
    We’re you T the two Hartford shows in ‘83? Those were my second and third shoes (first was New Haven on the Spring ‘83 tour).

They released the first Hartford show as a Dick’s Pick — the second show had the St. Stephen and an incredible China Doll.

We’re you T the two Hartford shows in ‘83? Those were my second and third shoes (first was New Haven on the Spring ‘83 tour).

They released the first Hartford show as a Dick’s Pick — the second show had the St. Stephen and an incredible China Doll.
    I don’t think so. Where’s my stub box?

I do recall Fall ‘83 was one of multiple tours where GDTS gave me the seats directly beside Phil’s supplier. Those cats were a great source of information. For example, at Merriweather in ‘84, the dude pulled out piece of paper when the band took the stage. I asked what it was and he said tonight’s song list. I didn’t think that was possible, since I had many SBDs of the boys (between tunes) discussing what to play next. I asked to see it and it was exact. I never wanted to see it again.

I don’t think so. Where’s my stub box?

I do recall Fall ‘83 was one of multiple tours where GDTS gave me the seats directly beside Phil’s supplier. Those cats were a great source of information. For example, at Merriweather in ‘84, the dude pulled out piece of paper when the band took the stage. I asked what it was and he said tonight’s song list. I didn’t think that was possible, since I had many SBDs of the boys (between tunes) discussing what to play next. I asked to see it and it was exact. I never wanted to see it again.
    Dupree’s Diamond News in real time!

Dupree’s Diamond News in real time!
    I definitely prefer DDN time delayed. Fortunately, I didn’t ask about a series of initials which I had never seen before. The boys played, IIRC their first, “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road”. First time Phil had sung in many years. He sometimes sang, “Why Don’t We Do It On The Drums”.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 01-15-2023 at 09:13 PM.

I definitely prefer DDN time delayed. Fortunately, I didn’t ask about a series of initials which I had never seen before. The boys played, IIRC, their first “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road”.
    I was in Philly spring of ‘85 when they opened with “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?” — it was when they gave Phil back his mic.

Next night first set openers:

In the Midnight Hour
    Walkin’ the Dog
    Big Boss Man

Great three night stand.

I was in Philly spring of ‘85 when they opened with “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?” — it was when they gave Phil back his mic.
    Think ‘84 Merriweather was when Phil got his mic back. Certain he was singing the night I saw the list. Phil was definitely in great spirits and the cat standing beside me had a lot to do with it.