Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Watching the opening song from Chula Vista tonight (Music Never Stops, btw), and Mickey is wearing a Steal Your Face shirt.

Instead of the lightning bolt, it's a pic of Bill Walton with his scruffy beard in his #32 jersey, HA!
    I saw that. Very cool.

Glad Billy K. is back, he missed a few shows for the first time ever AFAIK for non-COVID health respiratory reasons.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I saw that. Very cool.

Glad Billy K. is back, he missed a few shows for the first time ever AFAIK for non-COVID health respiratory reasons.
    Yep. He had good humor about, saying after that it was the first time he'd ever called out sick from work.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Interesting article in The Chronicle today about the Dead and how more students today should be living their values. Makes me feel really old...

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...282021-bokesch

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Posted by the D&C facebook page a few minutes ago.

Our brother Bill Kreutzmann continues to be on the mend from a non-COVID related illness. Jay Lane will graciously sit in again tonight at the Hollywood Bowl for the final night of the tour.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And a follow up post from Billy

It’s Halloween — did I spook you? I just want everyone to know that I’m okay and I was sad to have to miss the ending last night. I wasn’t feeling well and the show must go on. On my way home, I took a little detour to the hospital but the diagnosis was simply that I returned to the road a little too soon and we’ve been touring just a little too hard. I needed more rest, so I’m going to get it now and be back full steam ahead to jam with all of you in Mexico. I can’t wait.
    Love is real,
    Billy

Last night at the Hollywood Bowl

I took in the show at the Bowl last night. Here it is:

Samson and Delilah
    Uncle John's Band
    Brown Eyed Women
    Touch of Grey
    Dire Wolf
    Hell in a Bucket
    Terrapin
    ______
    Althea
    Dark Star... El Paso ... Dark Star
    Eyes of the World
    Drums ... Space
    Scarlet... Fire on the Mountain
    Morning Dew
    (very short version of) Not Fadeaway
    Brokedown Palace

With the exception of Hell in a Bucket, which is one of my personal favorites, the first set was rather pedestrian. But the second set was really quite good. The highlights were the set opener Althea and then Eyes of the World, also a personal favorite. Well, Fire on the Mountain was great too. John Mayer showed on those three songs why he is a guitar virtuoso. He's a rock guitar God, but the soulful elements he brings to his solos are really remarkable -- seems effortless for him. It was almost like if they had just played those three songs, extended versions of them, and gone home, everyone would have been happy.

It did strike me though, that with Billy on the DL, there were only two "originals" out there on that stage, those being Bob Weir and Mickey Hart. Mickey looked a bit mechanical and liked he wasn't sure he wanted to be out there. Bobby has obviously lost a bit off the fastball when it comes to his voice, but he is finding ways to improvise and still make it work. He still loves it, you can tell. And while of course it's his band, the reality is that John Mayer is the show. The other guys are really good players, but John's creativity on the guitar is making this whole thing work. Just so impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It did strike me though, that with Billy on the DL, there were only two "originals" out there on that stage, those being Bob Weir and Mickey Hart. Mickey looked a bit mechanical and liked he wasn't sure he wanted to be out there.
    The first show in Colorado that Billy sat out for, Mickey only played for the first set. It must have been strange for him being the only Rhythm Devil on stage, and I'm sure it was the same for him last night. I watched the Samson And Delilah opener, and it looked at least as if Billy's replacement was in to it.

I like the looks of the first set better than you, but unlike you, I only saw the one song. The second set list is pretty amazing. Overall it looks like a strong show to end '21 with.

"A new exhibit at Perkins Library will explore the Grateful Dead and its appearances in Durham performing here at Duke."

https://today.duke.edu/2021/11/grate...ibrary-exhibit

Back in the day, we needed “Dupree’s Diamond News” leaflets to bet on the set list.

Back in the day, we needed “Dupree’s Diamond News” leaflets to bet on the set list.
    And it's no wonder our reason went bad…
    Jelly roll will drive you stone mad!

IMO, this is the best Dead guitar pairing I’ve watched in many moons…..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kOR3Mt65JXI

Thanks!! Love Billy Strings. Can go down a rabbit hole for hours on YouTube watching him play the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Thanks!! Love Billy Strings. Can go down a rabbit hole for hours on YouTube watching him play the guitar.
    How did you know exactly what I did today?

Is/are Billy Strings the Grandchild of the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    How did you know exactly what I did today?
    I go there with Billy Strings, every Thursday. Start with Steep Canyon Rangers, end with Billy Strings, and I imagine that I hear Jerry Garcia, Pizza Tapes and GD in the reverb.
    More properly, a cross-heritage of Doc Watson, Jimi Hendrix , Tony Rice and the Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    I go there with Billy Strings, every Thursday. Start with Steep Canyon Rangers, end with Billy Strings, and I imagine that I hear Jerry Garcia, Pizza Tapes and GD in the reverb.
    More properly, a cross-heritage of Doc Watson, Jimi Hendrix , Tony Rice and the Dead.
    What a Long Strange Trip It’s Been! Amazing how the two best lead guitarist, for the music, both entered the GD scene after the 50th GD anniversary. Amazing how one has DNA almost identical to Jerry’s and the other one is almost Garcia’s polar opposite. The music was born at the Acid Tests and I prefer the guitarist who took the test. So glad we now have two grate choices.

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street,
    used to be the heart of town
    Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart,
    you just gotta poke around

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street,
    used to be the heart of town
    Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart,
    you just gotta poke around
    The best version I ever saw was 6/30/85 @ Merriweather.

Did you see that gig?

Rather recently, a musician told quite a tale about a GD show at Merriweather. I questioned him after the show and he stuck to his BS story. He told it in front of ~ 1,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    The best version I ever saw was 6/30/85 @ Merriweather.

Did you see that gig?

Rather recently, a musician told quite a tale about a GD show at Merriweather. I questioned him after the show and he stuck to his BS story. He told it in front of ~ 1,000 people.
    No, I was at the show just before that (Hershey 6/28). That was an electric adventure.

at Duke between 1967-1971, the shows we saw were astounding. Hard to imagine how good we had it. Amble out o the dorm, make necessary attitudinal adjustments, head to Cameron (aka Indoor Stadium) or WW and have at it.

No, I was at the show just before that (Hershey 6/28). That was an electric adventure.
    The Wall of Sound requires a lot of electricity to be truly heard. Many a time, I bent my ear to hear the tune.