Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Woooo!!!!! D&C Summer 2022 Tour announced today!

The only one close enough to me is July 8th in Bristow, Va, but it's a Friday night and I'll be there! Tix not on sale for another week or so, but I went ahead and reserved a campsite about 45 minutes away to make a fun weekend of it. (There are closer campgrounds, but I actually want to sleep after the show, and not be tenting next to the nitrous guy.)

https://deadandcompany.com/?fbclid=I...pEYZ_HjeAtZE2c
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

The only one close enough to me is July 8th in Bristow, Va, but it's a Friday night and I'll be there! Tix not on sale for another week or so, but I went ahead and reserved a campsite about 45 minutes away to make a fun weekend of it. (There are closer campgrounds, but I actually want to sleep after the show, and not be tenting next to the nitrous guy.)

Bummer, man! Old age is catching up with you too.

Looks like this tour will be their last. Might have to get a ticket. AW. 😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Crap, me too. Still kicking myself for not catching them on Raleigh.

Bob Weir says thats news to him. We'll see. AW. 😁😁

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bob Weir says thats news to him. We'll see. AW. 😁😁
    Yes, Bobby and Billy are both sending signals out that said "last tour" is but a rumor, however, the writing is on the wall that it's coming sooner than later, especially with BK having had to have bowed out a few shows during the tour and then also for Playing in the Sands (which was ultimately cancelled).

This is a big reason that I'm making the trip to Bristow since it's quite possibly the last time that I will see them again. Thankfully it's on a Friday night, which makes it easier since I'll only be taking one day off instead of two.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is a big reason that I'm making the trip to Bristow since it's quite possibly the last time that I will see them again. Thankfully it's on a Friday night, which makes it easier since I'll only be taking one day off instead of two.
    How much are pavilion tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    How much are pavilion tickets?
    I very briefly looked at actual seats before getting the lawn. I don't care who the band is, I have a tough time justifying spending more than $300 for two uncomfortable chairs. (Lawn was still around 175 once fees and what not were added on.)

I very briefly looked at actual seats before getting the lawn. I don't care who the band is, I have a tough time justifying spending more than $300 for two uncomfortable chairs. (Lawn was still around 175 once fees and what not were added on.)
    I really wonder if The Grateful Dead would have charged as much for tickets, in 2022, if Jerry was still around calling the shots? Garcia never cared about money like the other ones. Jerry’s guitars clearly showed a huge difference in mindset.

I really wonder if The Grateful Dead would have charged as much for tickets, in 2022, if Jerry was still around calling the shots? Garcia never cared about money like the other ones. Jerry’s guitars clearly showed a huge difference in mindset.
    The idea of them still all playing together seems so strange after all these years. I think they would be charging a lot, that's for sure, but maybe not as much. There was apparently some serious discord among them after Garcia died and for years after. I wonder if that was related to his death or if maybe he being alive was papering over a lot of repressed tension. I will say that the last few years Garcia seemed happier just playing in the Garcia Band, so I think what would have ended up happening is pretty unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    The idea of them still all playing together seems so strange after all these years. I think they would be charging a lot, that's for sure, but maybe not as much. There was apparently some serious discord among them after Garcia died and for years after. I wonder if that was related to his death or if maybe he being alive was papering over a lot of repressed tension. I will say that the last few years Garcia seemed happier just playing in the Garcia Band, so I think what would have ended up happening is pretty unpredictable.
    It would have been easier for Jerry to leave the mob than The Grateful Dead.

The boys only became internally rebellious upon losing their alpha male. Garcia would have always had the deciding vote.

FWIW, I had a B-school professor who posited that the Dead were one of the most successful, albeit unorthodox, marketing and branding stories ever in the music business. Made for a pretty spirited classroom debate, with some of the more serious Deadheads bristling at the "crassness" of that characterization, while some non-fans were dismissive of the band's impact outside of its "cult". This was in the late 80s...

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    FWIW, I had a B-school professor who posited that the Dead were one of the most successful, albeit unorthodox, marketing and branding stories ever in the music business. Made for a pretty spirited classroom debate, with some of the more serious Deadheads bristling at the "crassness" of that characterization, while some non-fans were dismissive of the band's impact outside of its "cult". This was in the late 80s...
    I strongly agree! I think the only genuine debate is how much was by design versus pure luck. The Grateful Dead even deserve some credit for the pure luck because they constantly and consistently took huge intentional risks.

In the 80’s, what other bands:

1. Let fans record their live concerts with the best recording equipment available?
    2. Formed their own ticket sales office to keep Ticketron from exploiting their fans?
    3. Formed their own merchandising office to keep retailers from exploiting their fans?
    4. Allowed their fans to sell band merchandise in the parking lots before, during, and after their concerts?

I strongly agree! I think the only genuine debate is how much was by design versus pure luck. The Grateful Dead even deserve some credit for the pure luck because they constantly and consistently took huge intentional risks.

In the 80’s, what other bands:

1. Let fans record their live concerts with the best recording equipment available?
    2. Formed their own ticket sales office to keep Ticketron from exploiting their fans?
    3. Formed their own merchandising office to keep retailers from exploiting their fans?
    4. Allowed their fans to sell band merchandise in the parking lots before, during, and after their concerts?
    Yup. That's essentially where the discussion gravitated once the visceral reactions were out of the way. While there was certainly some luck involved, our professor argued that from the start, what really set the Dead apart was the way they conceptualized their audience - not as customers, but as partners or "fellow travelers on a very unique voyage" (or something along those lines). I tend to agree, and I suspect you do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Yup. That's essentially where the discussion gravitated once the visceral reactions were out of the way. While there was certainly some luck involved, our professor argued that from the start, what really set the Dead apart was the way they conceptualized their audience - not as customers, but as partners or "fellow travelers on a very unique voyage" (or something along those lines). I tend to agree, and I suspect you do as well.
    Absolutely, The Grateful Dead were in the transportation business! I wanted to stay on the bus forever, but harsh reality kept intruding.

Absolutely, The Grateful Dead were in the transportation business! I wanted to stay on the bus forever, but harsh reality kept intruding.
    Worth a mention that today is the 44th Anniversary of the April 12, 1978 Cameron Show. My first show and a great one that featured, among other highlights, the only Jerry Garcia windmills I know of. Don't believe me? See for yourself at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzLGCut_3s0 Their are better copies of the whole show up there, but if you just want to see the windmills, there they are...

I got on the bus that day and never have managed to get off. Not that I've tried.

Worth a mention that today is the 44th Anniversary of the April 12, 1978 Cameron Show.
    I’ve always had the notion Jerry found the Merck stash that evening.

Great clip. I love Billie Strings and his band. But how badly must Weir's ears be screwed up if that guitar tone sounds good to him...

Great clip. I love Billie Strings and his band. But how badly must Weir's ears be screwed up if that guitar tone sounds good to him...
    A buddy of mine was at the show. He said about half the crowd was pissed at how long Bobby stayed on stage, like he overstayed his welcome, as they were there to see Billy’s show. To which I say “too bad! Learn from the master…”