Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    For Dead (and other live music) fans that lean on archive.org, I'd though I'd recommend (in case it hasn't come out upstream) checking out https://relisten.net/.

It's built on top of archive.org and includes both a Sonos integration and iPhone app. The app supports downloading music to your device to play over Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    This is also one of the best versions I saw. I really like how they played He’s Gone in Spring ‘81. Most, of course, prefer 70’s versions.

https://archive.org/details/gd81-05-...05-06d3t02.shn
    That one is the king for me, dedicated to Bobby Sands

One of the best versions I saw was Hampton 5-1-81. The vocals in the final couple of minutes were exceptional. IMO, Jerry played and sang exceptionally well that evening.

https://archive.org/details/gd81-05-...1-5-1d2t06.shn
    This is also one of the best versions I saw. I really like how they played He’s Gone in Spring ‘81. Most, of course, prefer 70’s versions.

https://archive.org/details/gd81-05-...05-06d3t02.shn
    Interesting takes for sure. '80s Dead has definitely never been my favorite era; always felt slow and, I dunno...thin. Certain songs really work for me in with that feel, but for 'He's Gone', I gravitate toward the more lilting feel of the '70s material (especially '72-'77).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    That one is the king for me, dedicated to Bobby Sands
    Exactly, it had serious purpose! That show really took off from there.

However, I think Dick should have released Hampton 5-1-81 because it’s a better overall show. Jerry was exceptional that night. Checkout his great work on Let it Grow...

https://archive.org/details/gd81-05-...1-5-1d1t10.shn

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Interesting takes for sure. '80s Dead has definitely never been my favorite era; always felt slow and, I dunno...thin. Certain songs really work for me in with that feel, but for 'He's Gone', I gravitate toward the more lilting feel of the '70s material (especially '72-'77).
    As a guy who saw lots of shows in the ‘80’s, He’s Gone was always a swaying and intense passage when they hit it. Usually after a crankin’ start to the second set, slide towards drums or some surprise. Give the 5/6/81 tagged by Jeffrey a shot if you haven’t. Play it loud.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Then, you might like this one. First He’s Gone after Pig passed away. The boys left an empty chair on the stage for Pig.

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1973/03/19

I love 80’s shows because I loved Brent!

As a guy who saw lots of shows in the ‘80’s
    How Sweet It Was!

Couldn't take the radio news stress this morning, switched over to the GD channel on satellite. Heard a "Loser" from Oakland (12/29/91) that was just downright narsty. Feel much better now!

In the timbers of Fennario . . . .
    A GD lyric for our times . . .

. . . Who can deny? Who can deny?
    It's not just a change in style
    One step done and another begun
    And I wonder how many miles?

I spent a little time on the mountain
    Spent a little time on the hill
    Things went down we don't understand
    But I think in time we will

You can overlook the lack, Jack
    Of any other highway to ride
    It's got no signs or dividing lines
    And very few rules to guide

I spent a little time on the hill
    I saw things getting out of hand
    I guess they always will

One way or another, one way or another
    One way or another, this darkness got to give . . . .

.... switched over to the GD channel on satellite.
    There's another satellite channel? I thought my Sirius package only included the GD channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    A GD lyric for our times . . .

. . . Who can deny? Who can deny?
    It's not just a change in style
    One step done and another begun
    And I wonder how many miles?

Spent a little time on the hill
    Things went down we don't understand
    But I think in time we will

You can overlook the lack, Jack
    Of any other highway to ride
    It's got no signs or dividing lines
    And very few rules to guide

I spent a little time on the hill
    I saw things getting out of hand
    I guess they always will

One way or another, one way or another
    One way or another, this darkness got to give . . . .
    Preach.

I really hope they don’t let him sing.

I really hope they don’t let him sing.
    His economic policies would certainly fit in with how the band handled business.

His economic policies would certainly fit in with how the band handled business.
    Very true, which would be a huge problem when the USA could not afford its “Wall of Sound” and crew. Much harder for the USA to just walk away and retire. Even Jerry could not figure out how, or muster the courage, to do it a second time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Not rehashing a bunch of stuff from the BBQ thread, but simply posting about how I love how well this highlight of my grill paint job is doing in the rain today.

TieDyeGrillLogo.jpg

Also saying that while I'm bummed that there is no D&C tour this Summer, I'm happy to see that that "2022" is featured on their website. (I ain't going to Mexico for anything, not for a show, not even for a tattoo.)

https://deadandcompany.com/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Got my Dead & Co tix yesterday. I signed up for the presale, but LiveNation sucks and even though I started out as 300th in line, I wound up buying them much later because the system glitched during my purchase.

No biggie, though, since the seats under the roof were way too pricey. We've always been happy on the lawn, just have to cross fingers that we'll be rain free again.

Anyway, I was so stoked that they are touring again this Summer. They are actually in NC twice, the second time in Charlotte. Being that both shows are weekdays, we're sticking with Raleigh only. This will be my first time seeing the first show of a Summer tour. (Back in my touring days I'd seen the first ones on the East coast before, but never the start out west.)

Can't wait for August 16th!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We've always been happy on the lawn, just have to cross fingers that we'll be rain free again.
    Cats Down under the stars . . . .

Sometimes it's fun to be right up close to the band, but in general I've always preferred the lawn experience anyway.

Edit: That was in general, not specific to Dead shows (I've never seen any version of GD except a couple Lesh & Friends sets).