Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Second set was just as great as the first. The energy of the whole night was electric. I was laughing when they took their bow because Mickey was pleading with Bobby to get back up and play some more, ha!

China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Help>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower
    Drums>Space (Mickey's again taken drums to a new level)
    Scarlet>Fire
    Morning Dew

Lady With a Fan
    Terrapin Station
    I’m sure I could find the answer with a quick Google search, but I thought I would ask it here instead.

How did they handles the drums in Bill’s absence and how did it go?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I’m sure I could find the answer with a quick Google search, but I thought I would ask it here instead.

How did they handles the drums in Bill’s absence and how did it go?
    As usual with D&C, Oteil joined in on Drums. (Some shows that Billy's been part of, they will have other guest drummers on stage as well.) As with past shows that BK was not present with, Jay Lane was next to Mickey for the whole show. He's been Bobby's drummer in Wolf Bros (along with keyboardist Jeff Chimenti), so he's not a stranger to the band.
    He's REALLY electric, literally bouncing at times on his kit seat. Watching last night, it was pretty clear that Mickey enjoys his company.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

As with past shows that BK was not present with, Jay Lane was next to Mickey for the whole show. He's been Bobby's drummer in Wolf Bros (along with keyboardist Jeff Chimenti), so he's not a stranger to the band.
    IMO, selecting appropriate band mates is where Bobby has most improved since the early 70’s!

Weir has always been able to get very high level talent. However, his early career side projects were not homogeneous and a good fit for Bobby’s skills and desires. An excellent example was Bobby and the Midnites. Their drummer (Billy Cobham) was arguably the best touring jazz drummer in the early 80’s. Almost equally impressive was their jazz bassist (Alphonso Johnson). At the time, they were as good as, probably better than, any touring jazz rhythm section. Pair them with Jerry Garcia and you would have created utopia! Instead, they were paired with two guitarist (Bobby Weir and Bobby Cochran) who were unable to play off beat and only wanting to play pop rock. It was a terrible talent mix and, IMO, their LPs and live shows were very disappointing!

Took in Dead & Co Friday night at the Forum. I have several dozen shows under my belt but I wanted to take my kids (ages 17 and 13) to see the scene before it goes away. Their first show — they loved it — was my last. (!).

Wasn’t a great set list as far as I’m concerned but just being there with them, knowing it was my last, made it a special night regardless. And who knows — maybe there will be one more “last tour” !!??

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    And who knows — maybe there will be one more “last tour” !!??
    Like 2015?

Must give Phil (and, only Phil) credit!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Took in Dead & Co Friday night at the Forum. I have several dozen shows under my belt but I wanted to take my kids (ages 17 and 13) to see the scene before it goes away. Their first show — they loved it — was my last. (!).
    So fun that you got to share it with your kids!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Road Trips Vol 4 No: 5

Boston Music Hall 6/9 and 6/12 1976. I've been listening to this on Tidal this afternoon. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in or maybe this is truly incredible. Listening with AirPods and in addition to the music being great, the sound quality is pristine. Phil, Jerry and Bobby are on fire.

Through June 5th, SiriusXM is having a free week. On top of that, the Grateful Dead channel (23) is playing D&C shows from this tour. Right now, they have on the 5/23/23 show from Phoenix.

At the break in Charlotte, and all I can think after the first set is it really sucks D&C is calling quits because they have finally figured out who they are.
    Probably points to Billy's leaving due to "creative differences" because those differences are really different than years previous, including last year.
    They are amazing tonight.

At the break in Charlotte, and all I can think after the first set is it really sucks D&C is calling quits because they have finally figured out who they are.
    Probably points to Billy's leaving due to "creative differences" because those differences are really different than years previous, including last year.
    They are amazing tonight.
    You’ve definitely peaked my curiosity. Please explain on this thread or by PM. As always, I’d really appreciate hearing your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    You’ve definitely peaked my curiosity. Please explain on this thread or by PM. As always, I’d really appreciate hearing your thoughts!
    I’m curious as to Billy. I watched his son’s movie on drummers recently, and Billy was all-in on continuing to play. I hope it is not related to possibly relapsing into old bad habits. I’ve heard nothing though.

I've not checked back into this thread since we got home, but what an absolutely wonderful way to say goodbye it was! Both shows in Charlotte and Raleigh were amazing, 100% top notch. I feel bad for the folks that had tix and missed it, but at the same time they were warned well in advance to show up early. We hit traffic in CLT at 3:30, a mile from the venue, and parked 1.5 hours later. We hit Shakedown briefly and then got in the ticket line at 5. (Gates opened at 5:30) By the time the gates opened, all of the ticket lines were wayyyy long. Since we got in line fairly early, we for the most part walked right in and grabbed a prime lawn spot.
    While waiting for show time, I went ahead and grabbed us "early parking" for Raleigh.
    Since we had that early pass, we drove to Walnut Creek at 2. And then sat in traffic for an hour and a half, again. But at least we had more time for Shakedown, and again got in the ticket line early, and again got a prime lawn spot.

So with that out of the way, here's how this band "has finally figured out who they are".
    Yes, they play the music of the Grateful Dead, but they in no way no longer try to emulate GD as they did early on. It's hard to explain, but some of the songs, standing there live, one feels the music literally tear through you. Being in front of the band with Jerry and Phil was always an experience, their music surrounded you, but with D&C, John Mayer's guitar at times drills its way inside in a phonetic frenzy, and when he's clicking with Jeff's keyboards (which is almost always) it's a bit of musical insanity. Uplifting and driving. Oteil's base playing is so fun to watch, too, his whole body grooving.
    Billy's replacement, Jay Lane, is hard not to watch as well. He's like a kernel of popcorn behind his kit, emblazoned with a perma-smile, lol.
    And as a result of all of this, the music just feels different. Add to that, many of the songs have new arrangements, and this is where I wonder about Billy's "artistic differences" statement. The pacing is different. Not on all, but it's refreshing hearing them played at a changed tempo. Easy Wind in Raleigh was a really good example, slowed down. (The Grateful Dead themselves would do that too, of course, from time to time, but this tour seems to have shown it off more frequently.)
    Mickey is treating Drums far differently, too. On this tour, each show gets a different themed treatment. I've never seen a drums experience like the one in Charlotte. It was African influenced, and Mickey started off with some type of suspended wooden xylophone. Jay was on the drums behind him, and Oteil was playing some kind of bass banjo. Halfway through, Oteil was even scatting; it was the first time I've ever seen anyone sing during what is always an instrumental experience.
    It had to have been a full 15 minutes before Mickey took to The Beam as he led into Space. The longest Drums I've ever witnessed, and it was magical.
    In Raleigh, it was back to normal, although no less perfect.
    Both shows were great, and tops in my live Dead incarnation history, but if you can chase down a soundboard recording of Charlotte, I'd strongly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m curious as to Billy. I watched his son’s movie on drummers recently, and Billy was all-in on continuing to play. I hope it is not related to possibly relapsing into old bad habits. I’ve heard nothing though.
    He's obviously still wanting to play, as he's out with Billy & The Kids, but his reasoning is a bit baffling, especially given the timing at the literal end.

For S&G's, here are the setlists for the shows I went to, and a pic of a memento that we treated ourselves to at the Raleigh Shakedown. It now has a very nice spot on our wall at home.

Charlotte
    Set 1:
    Shakedown Street
    Cold Rain and Snow
    Loser
    Dire Wolf
    Loose Lucy
    The Wheel
    Bertha
    Let It Grow

Set 2:
    Help on the Way-Slipknot!-Franklin's Tower
    Fire on the Mountain
    The Other One
    Drums-Space
    Black Peter
    Sugar Magnolia

U.S. Blues

Raleigh
    Set 1:
    New Speedway Boogie
    They Love Each Other
    Mama Tried
    Easy Wind
    Ramble On Rose
    Dear Mr. Fantasy-Hey Jude
    Bird Song

Set 2:
    Sugaree
    St. Stephen
    William Tell Bridge
    The Eleven
    Iko Iko
    Drums-Space
    I Need a Miracle
    Wharf Rat

Casey Jones

ShakedownStealie.jpg

I’ll take a reasonable (uninformed) shot given what I’ve learned (over the last 50 years) about the players. I think the two current Alphas (Billy and Bobby) tried to take control and the one with more power succeeded. Obviously, none of this BS would have occurred during Jerry’s time (when he was the very seldom challenged alpha).

Bobby has certainly, more & more over the last 28 years, taken an obligatory stance on furthering their music. He has also become slightly delusional about his time in The Grateful Dead. For example, I’m still shocked by Bobby’s claim that he basically carried Jerry in ‘83 and ‘84. I was there and that’s definitely not the way I heard it.

Billy has always had to control his inner alpha. Occasionally, he has definitely failed. For example, in ‘84, when Billy visited Jerry and told him he had to get it together or he was going to be thrown out of the band. IIRC, Jerry’s response was “where are you going to get another lead guitarist? I’m not a drummer”.

That’s very cool! Is it wood? Where did you score it?

So with that out of the way, here's how this band "has finally figured out who they are".
    Yes, they play the music of the Grateful Dead, but they in no way no longer try to emulate GD as they did early on. It's hard to explain, but some of the songs, standing there live, one feels the music literally tear through you. Being in front of the band with Jerry and Phil was always an experience, their music surrounded you, but with D&C, John Mayer's guitar at times drills its way inside in a phonetic frenzy, and when he's clicking with Jeff's keyboards (which is almost always) it's a bit of musical insanity. Uplifting and driving. Oteil's base playing is so fun to watch, too, his whole body grooving.
    Billy's replacement, Jay Lane, is hard not to watch as well. He's like a kernel of popcorn behind his kit, emblazoned with a perma-smile, lol.
    And as a result of all of this, the music just feels different. Add to that, many of the songs have new arrangements, and this is where I wonder about Billy's "artistic differences" statement. The pacing is different. Not on all, but it's refreshing hearing them played at a changed tempo. Easy Wind in Raleigh was a really good example, slowed down. (The Grateful Dead themselves would do that too, of course, from time to time, but this tour seems to have shown it off more frequently.)
    Mickey is treating Drums far differently, too. On this tour, each show gets a different themed treatment. I've never seen a drums experience like the one in Charlotte. It was African influenced, and Mickey started off with some type of suspended wooden xylophone. Jay was on the drums behind him, and Oteil was playing some kind of bass banjo. Halfway through, Oteil was even scatting; it was the first time I've ever seen anyone sing during what is always an instrumental experience.
    It had to have been a full 15 minutes before Mickey took to The Beam as he led into Space. The longest Drums I've ever witnessed, and it was magical.
    In Raleigh, it was back to normal, although no less perfect.
    Both shows were great, and tops in my live Dead incarnation history, but if you can chase down a soundboard recording of Charlotte, I'd strongly recommend it.
    Excellent and highly appreciated description!

I’ve only heard a couple D&C tunes (from a couple years ago), and it was definitely slow Dead paced for Bobby’s limited, remaining vocal strengths. It sounds like they took that further this tour? It certainly enables Bobby to excel vocally. It’s also a good pace for his current rhythm style and strengths.

That’s very cool! Is it wood? Where did you score it?
    Yes to wood, one of many designs, and it's big! We love it. Got it from a Shakedown vendor based out of Pa. (From Jim Thorpe, in fact.) He's got an online store, but he of course is on tour now, so it's not active. I do have his cell if interested, not sure what his name is.

Excellent and highly appreciated description!

I’ve only heard a couple D&C tunes (from a couple years ago), and it was definitely slow Dead paced for Bobby’s limited, remaining vocal strengths. It sounds like they took that further this tour? It certainly enables Bobby to excel vocally. It’s also a good pace for his current rhythm style and strengths.
    Agree with the match for Bobby's strengths during songs he sings. But even the "slower" songs still have their ripping points that can drive the crowd into a frenzy, thanks in large part to JM's insane guitar abilities. For the most part, that slow tempo is still seldom visited as most of the show makes anyone dancing get a big time calorie burning workout. Dead & Company overall has much more of a "rock & roll" band feel than the Grateful Dead did.
    It's aggravating that they've never written anything original of their own, because I have an inkling that it would be really great.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred
    Yes to wood, one of many designs, and it's big! We love it. Got it from a Shakedown vendor based out of Pa. (From Jim Thorpe, in fact.) He's got an online store, but he of course is on tour now, so it's not active. I do have his cell if interested, not sure what his name is.
    Definitely, please hook me up with his website and cell.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred
    Agree with the match for Bobby's strengths during songs he sings. But even the "slower" songs still have their ripping points that can drive the crowd into a frenzy, thanks in large part to JM's insane guitar abilities. For the most part, that slow tempo is still seldom visited as most of the show makes anyone dancing get a big time calorie burning workout. Dead & Company overall has much more of a "rock & roll" band feel than the Grateful Dead did.
    It's aggravating that they've never written anything original of their own, because I have an inkling that it would be really great.
    Thanks, that’s absolutely the direction Weir needed to go! Bobby cannot play anything offbeat. That’s why Bobby & the Midnites was such a terrible talent mix.

A new “30 for 30” of interest here (premiering tonight and Thursday):

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtIRY...RlODBiNWFlZA==

D&C has been known to have guests join during Drums. How trippy it would be to see Walton up there. (Earlier this tour in LA, they had past Dead roadie/tech Steve Parish join in.

Much thanks; set my DVR! Is it 4 parts?
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 06-06-2023 at 07:52 PM.